Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why is it madness?

Schools need to be assessed and roads may be dangerous tomorrow.

Decision is correct in my opinion

Nothing to do with the roads, otherwise they stop people from going to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Storm me arse, bit of a breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

It is madness. It completely takes the biscuit.

Close the schools that are damaged or without power.

And when are principals supposed to assess the damage? If they go in early tomorrow then parents get no notice of closure and it's a lot harder to organize childcare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

10,000 people glued to boards weather forums and refreshing like mad is probably what has it so wonky...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

My part of the midlands took a battering from 12.30 - 3.30. Power went at 1pm and only back on now, which I appreciate so much. Still windy out, but the fierce stuff is gone. I was watching from indoors and a lot of the gusts were very strong and frequent. Branches all over the place, debris etc. Don't know what the wider area is like

Personally I agree with how it was handled and firmly believe the fatality rate of 3 is because of the warnings. Better to be safe than sorry. RTEs coverage was great too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

Fair play to South Dublin CoCo, there's a team of about 10 out clearing the fallen and badly damaged trees from our estate in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Addle wrote: »
    Are Roscommon/Westmeath over their worst of it?

No. It'll be gusty up to 7 or 8 o clock.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Gusty winds in South Dublin have stopped, is that the last of it? Judging by some of charts posted in the other thread, the wind will only get weaker from here on out, or is round 2 expected?

A couple of strong gusts here in D18 in the last couple of minutes.

I'm not an expert by any means but as I understand it the winds on the outer edges of the storm are the fastest, so as the storm moves north, the faster winds drift into our path even though we are the other end of the country. Its not over yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Glad the schools are closed again. Damage needs to be assessed before letting the kids back in!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Malayalam wrote: »
    10,000 people glued to boards weather forums and refreshing like mad is probably what has it so wonky...

I got the Cloud DDOS protection thing earlier. This must be one of the busiest boards threads ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Giving the live stream another go as its ramping up a bit here in Donegal near letterkenny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TugvkzMl5g

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Brightening up now in the north west of galway. Not sure if it's over but what has here wasn't out of the ordinary of what we're used to.

17% of ESB customers effected. 375,000.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Samaris wrote: »
    Danger's not done when it's passed though - Galway is due what looks like its heaviest band up against the coast tonight, after about 7PM. That's likely to hit the coast/west of Galway more than the city I think.
    Indeed
    https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/919930946467647489

https://twitter.com/DanLindsey77/status/919926192144375809

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

3 dead already dispite the numerous warnings and we aren't even half way through. Also we got lucky it was a relativity dry storm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Not too bad where I am in Dublin, above average winds. Garden furniture hasnt moved. Barely a drop of rain either.

Lots of red sand on my car this morning though :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

John.Icy wrote: »
    What is with the absolute censorship by some on here for people saying it's not overly bad in their vicinity?

You can only report what's in your area. If you're more sheltered and not seeing anything major - report it.

Jumping down the necks of posters for reporting what they are experiencing. If someone in area X says it's not that bad, don't quote them saying how dare they when a tree fell down in area Y. Like what?

Seen next to no posts about warnings not justified, just people stating it's not that bad where they are, which is absolutely allowed according to me.

Back to the weather: Where I am, winds have picked up to a more sustained strong level, not just sporadic gusts now. Oh and disclaimer for all the self righteous who decide what can be reported: this was a serious wind event for many and I don't and haven't acknowledged otherwise.

I don't think it's censorship. I think the issue is that people either have a tone of disappointment, or literally say they are disappointed that it hasn't somehow lived up to expectations. Meanwhile, people are literally dying at each end of the country. I ****ing hate internet faux outrage as much as the next person, but in this case I think the attitude is really odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

3rd fatal incident

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

It is madness. It completely takes the biscuit.

Close the schools that are damaged or without power.

It's unlikely that it will be safe to assess schools today, as obviously someone would have to travel there to check. So it would be difficult to open schools tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

No damage done in Portlaoise.

Electricity back now as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Wombatman wrote: »
    Fairly quite around Athenry now.

Yeah. Looks like sun coming out now and sky brightening up a bit.........but I think this is the time to be wary of it.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

sillysocks wrote: »
    And when are principals supposed to assess the damage? If they go in early tomorrow then parents get no notice of closure and it's a lot harder to organize childcare.
    exactly our school starts at 8:30am so it would be very hard to assess damage and get the word out if anything was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭C__MC

Safe to say some of the country had damage others didn't. For me anyway it wasn't that severe, few winds and heavy showers. This country needs to stop hyping itself up. Was it even a hurricane ?

YeaYeaSure wrote: »
    All Schools closed again tomorrow. Madness.

3 killed by trees so far. 2 driving are you volunteering to drive to check your local school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

John.Icy wrote: »
    What is with the absolute censorship by some on here for people saying it's not overly bad in their vicinity?

You can only report what's in your area. If you're more sheltered and not seeing anything major - report it.

Jumping down the necks of posters for reporting what they are experiencing. If someone in area X says it's not that bad, don't quote them saying how dare they when a tree fell down in area Y. Like what?

Seen next to no posts about warnings not justified, just people stating it's not that bad where they are, which is absolutely allowed according to me.

Well there's an over reaction.

All people are saying is that just because you think it's not too bad in your little part of the country doesn't justify claiming that this is all much ado about nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Ginny wrote: »
    exactly our school starts at 8:30am so it would be very hard to assess damage and get the word out if anything was wrong.
    they are all closed according to the department of education, so at least they are doing something right!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

What the hell is the problem with schools being closed? Why are people complaining?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Scarily stormy in Dublin right now. Rain lashing down too. Very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

MadYaker wrote: »
    I'm in Galway city. This is no different to any of the other storms over the last few years despite all the hysteria. Strong winds, rain and coastal flooding. It's happens once every 2 - 3 years. I don't know why everyone was getting so excited.

Normally the winter storms impact the west yet this one has impacted the whole country.Imagine if everyone carried on as if it was a normal Monday during this,we would have many more than 3 fatalities not to mention traffic chaos as road after road is blocked by fallen trees.How many roofs have you seen blown off buildings in one of the storms you see normally? Schools,clubs,supermarkets,not to mention other buildings have had them torn off today even in areas that usually don't see extreme winds.

YeaYeaSure wrote: »
    All Schools closed again tomorrow. Madness.

3 killed by trees so far. 2 driving are you volunteering to drive to check your local school?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Well there's an over reaction.

All people are saying is that just because you think it's not too bad in your little part of the country doesn't justify claiming that this is all much ado about nothing.

I can see Galway bay from my bedroom window. By Galway standards of the last few years this isn't the worst. Over hyped.

Advertisement