Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

North Leitrim

Winds picking up in last 10 mins, very strong gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,643 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There are 3 people dead so far.

Not exactly a non event.

Gusts have picked up suddenly in North Dublin again. Strongest so far today in my area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Wombatman wrote: »
    Fairly quite around Athenry now.

Yeah, seems to be brightening up, bit of sun and blue skies appearing.........but I think this is the time you need to be wary......

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Yep, this is definitely the worldwide standard for "disaster" all right!

It's not watching your home and everything you own being blown away into oblivion, or indeed swamped by a tsunami; it's not wondering if the rest of your family survived, or where the fk they are; it's the creche being closed the day after an (ex) hurricane which thanks be to every god and karma you can imagine wasn't as bad as it might have been ....

#firstworldproblemsireland

Never said it was the world wide definition of disaster. I said it was a disaster for my family. Sure why don't I just cancel my two hospital clinics tomorrow, that ppl have waited a year for an apt in. Rescheduling them will likely take months....that's a disaster for them...same goes for my other half. So yes it is a disaster for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

spuncy wrote: »
    Thought I'd get a video of the gusty weather out the back here in Maynooth..

I shouldn't laugh, but what a shot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Hurricane me arse, bit of a breeze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

5kr0pu.jpg

Sandymount

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

MadYaker wrote: »
    I can see Galway bay from my bedroom window. By Galway standards of the last few years this isn't the worst. Over hyped.

Tell that to the families of the three who died today .RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

VinLieger wrote: »
    And I disagree, theres been plenty of posters saying "called it! overhyped!" "cant believe we called a national warning for this" etc etc, looking out at the trees and being out in it are two very different things, this weather is nothing like weve seen for decades, maybe in the midlands its not too bad but its a fact that Dublin is being consistently hit right now with winds it has not seen for many many years, as well as swords, malahide, and all points along its coast. Anyone saying otherwise is either trolling or trying to play the big hard man for some ridiculous reason.

I live in Portmarnock. I'm not trying to 'play the big hard man for some ridiculous reason' - it is nothing but calm. I would consider claiming otherwise to be odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

3 dead already dispite the numerous warnings and we aren't even half way through. Also we got lucky it was a relativity dry storm too.

Dry in the east, but very wet in the West, been raining since 03.00 this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

3 dead already dispite the numerous warnings and we aren't even half way through. Also we got lucky it was a relativity dry storm too.

Dry in the east, but very wet in the West, been raining since 03.00 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

5kr0pu.jpg

Sandymount

Double rainbow :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

3 people died as a direct result of the storm. Have a bit of respect ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

VinLieger wrote: »
    And I disagree, theres been plenty of posters saying "called it! overhyped!" "cant believe we called a national warning for this" etc etc, looking out at the trees and being out in it are two very different things, this weather is nothing like weve seen for decades, maybe in the midlands its not too bad but its a fact that Dublin is being consistently hit right now with winds it has not seen for many many years, as well as swords, malahide, and all points along its coast. Anyone saying otherwise is either trolling or trying to play the big hard man for some ridiculous reason.
    I hate to tell you, but while it could have been a helluva a lot worse everywhere, Dublin by no means saw the worst of it! ;)
    What the hell is the problem with schools being closed? Why are people complaining?
    Coz over the last decade or two, schools have come to be seen not as educational establishments but as babysitters.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think Swords and Malahide are some weird anomaly. We'd strong winds around 130 but it is now dead quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I can see Galway bay from my bedroom window. By Galway standards of the last few years this isn't the worst. Over hyped.

Because in galway its an offshore wind it wont be as visible by looking out the window at the bay, why are people so reluctant to literally look at the wind numbers and accept this is far windier than we have had in recent years?

Also just because it sunny that doesn't change the wind levels that are happening.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'm in Galway city. This is no different to any of the other storms over the last few years despite all the hysteria. Strong winds, rain and coastal flooding. It's happens once every 2 - 3 years. I don't know why everyone was getting so excited.

I'm just outside the city and this is worse than anything we've had in recent years. You may be in a sheltered spot where you are. I've been watching a polytunnel vibrating up and down and waiting for it to blow away... there are severe gusts over open ground that you may not have experienced in a sheltered built up area.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think Swords and Malahide are some weird anomaly. We'd strong winds around 130 but it is now dead quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

It was an ex-hurricane, I think the correct measures were made. It was dreadful in the south coast and it could potentially have been a lot worse. Fair play to everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Because in galway the wind is coming off the shore out to sea so it wont be as visible by looking out the window at the bay, why are people so reluctant to literally look at the wind numbers and accept this is far windier than we have had in recent years?

Also just because it sunny that doesn't change the wind levels that are happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

lawred2 wrote: »
    I live in Portmarnock. I'm not trying to 'play the big hard man for some ridiculous reason' - it is nothing but calm. I would consider claiming otherwise to be odd.

In Smithfield area, calm here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭kippy

John.Icy wrote: »
    What is with the absolute censorship by some on here for people saying it's not overly bad in their vicinity?

You can only report what's in your area. If you're more sheltered and not seeing anything major - report it.

Jumping down the necks of posters for reporting what they are experiencing. If someone in area X says it's not that bad, don't quote them saying how dare they when a tree fell down in area Y. Like what?

Seen next to no posts about warnings not justified, just people stating it's not that bad where they are, which is absolutely allowed according to me.

Back to the weather: Where I am, winds have picked up to a more sustained strong level, not just sporadic gusts now. Oh and disclaimer for all the self righteous who decide what can be reported: this was a serious wind event for many and I don't and haven't acknowledged otherwise.

What's wrong with it, is it doesn't help anyone. Especially if they are making the comments when the worst of it hadn't been forecast to be anywhere near them at that time.
    If anything it can lead others into false senses of security. Conditions can change in a relatively short space of time.

Scarily stormy in Dublin right now. Rain lashing down too. Very bad.

lol

This storm as some seriously odd regional variations. See nothing of the sort in Portmarnock.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

That's victim blaming etc etc etc

Well I think you're joking, but it's not really - victim blaming is all about transferring a proportion of the blame from an active perpetrator to their victim. For weather, it's a completely different situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Stheno wrote: »

That I can confirm. Wild earlier, nothing happening at the moment. Is that it for us? Won't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Panrich

I think that those people who think this was a non-event or over-hyped must live very sheltered lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'm in Dun Laoghaire and it's become weirdly calm - heard that the peak of this for Dublin would be from 3PM to 7PM, but the severest winds - with downed trees and what not - were actually around 11AM up until about an hour ago.

Is Dun Laoghaire positioned in such a way that a forecast for Dublin City would be substantially different to here, time-wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

That will be a consolation to the families of the three people killed.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »

must be sheltered somehow... combinations of Dublin Mtns and Howth head maybe. Wind is coming from the South.

Advertisement