Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

It's not madness, it's a pain in the hole, but it's the right thing to do.

This storm is still going on, we won't know the final scope of the damage until late evening or tomorrow realistically. Best that people know now and can make plans.

Credit to the government and authorities on how they have handled this thus far imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

picking up now in Castleknock - strongest gusts yet with rain etc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's still battering down as heavy as it has been since around 1pm here in the south-east (or at least it feels like it is anyway!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

ESB Powercheck doesn't seem to be working at all. Map shoes no outages anywhere in the country. I hear there is one in Terenure now

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

anna080 wrote: »
    Brightening up now in the north west of galway. Not sure if it's over but what has here wasn't out of the ordinary of what we're used to.

17% of ESB customers effected. 375,000.
    Lucky for you! It's not over yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

Grandeeod wrote: »
    My part of the midlands took a battering from 12.30 - 3.30. Power went at 1pm and only back on now, which I appreciate so much. Still windy out, but the fierce stuff is gone. I was watching from indoors and a lot of the gusts were very strong and frequent. Branches all over the place, debris etc. Don't know what the wider area is like

Personally I agree with how it was handled and firmly believe the fatality rate of 3 is because of the warnings. Better to be safe than sorry. RTEs coverage was great too.

Agreed. Latest fatality is in Dundalk which is not in one of the areas expected to take the 'full brunt' Fatalities and injuries are likely to be limited to people outdoors, so staying indoors is good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Wind pretty consistent last hour in DN20

RTE reporting that winds in Dublin are to peak between 5pm-7pm according to Eoghan Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Turners Cross stadium. Cork.

22491589_1856234978024410_2625105976225146745_n.jpg?oh=ac0797d7801038cc55993a88ee2ac52a&oe=5A860C4D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,955 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

lawred2 wrote: »
    lol

This storm as some seriously odd regional variations. See nothing of the sort in Portmarnock.

I'm in Syth Cynty Dublin, :p Not near the sea either. It is weird.

Still lashing down and full on gale blowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Lissavane wrote: »
    Lucky for you! It's not over yet.

Yes I know lucky for me.
    Why are people snarky when people say they didn't get it bad? Yes I know how lucky we were! I'm just reporting the experience we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Wind direction has shifted to westerly and has calmed for the moment. A good few trees down locally but we still have electricity. Salthill looks rough, but nothing different from previous storms

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Limerick City.

No storm here.

A few moderate gusts.

Calm outside now.

Disappointed.

Well could you grab me a few ridge slates, some nails and get them up to me here in N Tipp. I'll happily hold the other end of the rope while you get some excitement fixing the slates for me, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

If a Red Alert Warning wasn't put in place all across the country, and everyone had went about their business in a usual way, there would without question have been many many more fatalities than there are currently. So well done to whoever made the call to shut down as many things as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Flying Fox wrote: »
    RTE reporting that winds in Dublin are to peak between 5pm-7pm according to Eoghan Murphy

Would this include southern suburbs like Dun Laoghaire? Where I am near Sandycove, the wind was absolutely phenomenal around noon up until about an hour ago, but things have become weirdly calm since then. Haven't been sure whether that means the peak is over for us or whether we're just in a calm "pocket" - is Dun Laoghaire far enough from the city centre for the forecast here to be substantially different?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Still strong gusts here in Waterford, rain now too. It has felt very dodgy at times. We feel very lucky (so far, fingers crossed), our home is still intact. Power is gone around city and county but not where we are yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

What the hell is the problem with schools being closed? Why are people complaining?

They dont have their normal free babysitter from 9am to 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Dublin Bus confirmed suspended for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Has it passed by Cork and Kerry completely now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Seems to be picking up in Drogheda at the mo, bigger gusts, rain starting up, sky getting a lot darker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Off from work, so went for a stroll with missus.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Panrich wrote: »
    I think that those people who think this was a non-event or over-hyped must live very sheltered lives.

Get your coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

To make it easier to read posts can people indicate their poster-type at the start of each post using the following categories;

1. FLIPPANT
    2. NERVOUS EXCITEMENT
    3. HOLIER THAN THOU
    4. ON HIGH HORSE

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,605 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Galway city definitely seems to be calming down a little in terms of gusts. Sounds like the worst of it is moving up to Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Hows the weather down Cork and Kerry now??Galway having the sunny break ye got a few hours ago. Wondering should we expect a lot more bad weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Let the dog out onto the balcony to take a piss, the wind blew his piss all over his leg :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

It looks like the natives of After Hours have decamped en mass to the weather forum today

The roads are quieter than they are on Christmas Day yet still 3 people died

There are thousands of trees blown over and straddling across roads that would normally be choc a block with vehicles

There are schools normally fully of kids that have the roofs blown off them

There are supermarkets normally full of shoppers that have their roofs blown off.

there are 400,000 people (thats one in ten of the population for those of you that struggle with maths) without power

... but it was completely over hyped

clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

They dont have their normal free babysitter from 9am to 4pm

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Hows the weather down Cork and Kerry now??Galway having the sunny break ye got a few hours ago. Wondering should we expect a lot more bad weather

Cork city getting a second blast of sustained gusts for the past 30 minutes or so. A definite pick up in strength from say an hour ago (when I was actually considering a stroll).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seems to picking up in D16. More rain than we've seen all day. Sustained winds died down, but gusts appear worse than earlier. May just be the rain making it look worse though.

Advertisement