Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Let the dog out onto the balcony to take a piss, the wind blew his piss all over his leg :mad:

That can happen to anyone in fairness. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭s8n

Carpentry wrote: »
    Off from work, so went for a stroll with missus.

too much to ask to stay indoors ??

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

mitresize5 wrote: »
    It looks like the natives of After Hours have decamped en mass to the weather forum today

The roads are quieter than they are on Christmas Day yet still 3 people died

There are thousands of trees blown over and straddling across roads that would normally be choc a block with vehicles

There are schools normally fully of kids that have the roofs blown off them

There are supermarkets normally full of shoppers that have their roofs blown off.

there are 400,000 people (thats one in ten of the population for those of you that struggle with maths) without power

... but it was completely over hyped

clowns

Very well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

It needs to be emphasised to all the people posting "it's only a breezy day" and "it wasn't that bad".

1. It's not over yet, it won't be clear of the country until midngiht

2. This is not the winter storm you are used to. It's a cyclone, and some of the strongest winds are on the back side and are only hitting the south east now:

QgXgAk5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Poor doggie inadvertently blasted himself with piss.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Looks like Dublin going to take a big hit now. For all the people who were complaining early, hold tight. This is going to blow the balls off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

West Dublin has rain for a while now. Horizontal rain. I can see the m50, what normal is rush hour is like Christmas morning. Very light traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭tkd93

Let the dog out onto the balcony to take a piss, the wind blew his piss all over his leg :mad:
    Could have been worse could have been yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

cros13 wrote: »
    It needs to be emphasised to all the people posting "it's only a breezy day" and "it wasn't that bad".

1. It's not over yet, it won't be clear of the country until midngiht

2. This is not the winter storm you are used to. It's a cyclone, and some of the strongest winds are on the back side and are only hitting the south east now:

Strange at the press conference just now they say the worst is over south of Galway / Dublin line. From what I see in that image is a whole load of purple moving up into the southern half of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭OldRio

45 foot Ceder Tree has just come down near the cottage.
    I have a feeling it won't be the last but with what's been going on around the country I'm not complaining.

Howling wind outside. I've never experienced anything as bad as this and I'm fast approaching sixty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Hows the weather down Cork and Kerry now??Galway having the sunny break ye got a few hours ago. Wondering should we expect a lot more bad weather

Been getting some very strong gusts again in the last hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

magentis wrote: »
    Poor doggie inadvertently blasted himself with piss.

Mine refusing to go out. I think he has an extra backup bladder for days like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Mach Two

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Rte just announced that the taoiseach will address the country at 10.40.

It like the movie"Independence Day" where the president of America addressed the country that we visitors coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

s8n wrote: »
    too much to ask to stay indoors ??

I live by the gates, so it took me 5 minutes on foot to get there. Seen people cycling, jogging, walking dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Flying Fox wrote: »
    RTE reporting that winds in Dublin are to peak between 5pm-7pm according to Eoghan Murphy

When was this stated ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I feel sorry the women working in the shop across the road from me. They were dragged into work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Average wind speeds seem to have decreased here in south east but still gusting. The severe gusts were the most significant feature for me. Tree bounced off my house - feel lucky that it's only a down pipe and a bit of guttering is damaged. RIP those who have lost their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Empty streets

• Registered Users Posts: 16,420 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Galway city definitely seems to be calming down a little in terms of gusts. Sounds like the worst of it is moving up to Mayo.

I'm near Ballina, not getting any worse here...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭hank scorpio89

In artane and apart from a light drizzle and some heavy winds it's genuinely not bad at all ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Has brightened up in Maynooth, but some of the strongest gusts yet have been in the last few minutes.

Authorities got this one spot on in my view, fair play to all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ugh,who lets their dog piss on their balcony. Imagine living under that?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭chicken foot

West Connemara here, 200 meters from the ocean and on a slight elevation. We've gotten away very lightly so far, even compared to Galway City. We've regularly seen the windows flex in the frames but not yet today. I do not believe it was over hyped at all, just delighted we've escaped the brunt so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Red Corvette

Has it passed by Cork and Kerry completely now?

Seems to be calmer in Cork now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Spoke with son in West Dublin. It was very windy earlier but nothing he hasn't experienced over the last 10 years. He said Dublin did not warrant a red warning. I agree and have read other posts by Dublin based posters on here whow agreen.

One thing I notice is that if anyone dares to say that the storm isn't bad with them, they are shot down. Or accused of trolling. People either want accurate reports or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

jamesbere wrote: »
    I feel sorry the women working in the shop across the road from me. They were dragged into work

Wow that's terrible, does that happen every work day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

doylefe wrote: »
    Strange at the press conference just now they say the worst is over south of Galway / Dublin line. From what I see in that image is a whole load of purple moving up into the southern half of the country.

Ireland is Dublin. Therefore saying Dublin covers the southern half of the country :P;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Perfectly safe and calm here in d6, you wouldnt even lose a toupee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Things really picked up now in Northside of Dublin! Strong gusts, more sustained wind.

Advertisement