Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Still just windy and drizzly in north County Dublin. It’s been quieter in the past hour after some heavy gusts earlier. Wondering now will it pick back up or is the worst missing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭garyha

It was reported on RTE that the peak hadn't been reached in Dublin yet and was the reason cited by Dublin Bus to cancel services for rest of day.

Where is this coming from? The winds have declined in last hour and I can't see anything to indicate this? Is this really possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

mitresize5 wrote: »

there are 400,000 people (thats one in ten of the population for those of you that struggle with maths) without power

400,00 customers, not people. The actual figure could be a lot higher, many of those customers are families of 3-5 people. Which actually validates your point even more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

RTE have done great coverage throughout the day. They have certainly fulfilled their remit as a 'public service broadcaster' today. And I'm usually always happy to bitch about them and the license fee, but today they get two thumbs up from me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Rougies wrote: »
    Mine refusing to go out. I think he has an extra backup bladder for days like this.

Mine did the same!She went to the door,I opened it,she had a look out and trotted back to her bed,with an "I'm actually fine"look on her face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,357 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

People who have gotten away with it in Dublin can thank the Wicklow Mountains - Serious amount of shelter received from the hills behind ye

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭circadian

Genuinely surprised how calm it is in Beaumont, Dublin at the minute consider how hard other areas are being hit. I'm guessing the worst is yet to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

munster87 wrote: »
    Wow that's terrible, does that happen every work day?

A cyclone? No it typically doesn't.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭Goose81

Anyone know if any shops open in south Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

fraxinus1 wrote: »

One thing I notice is that if anyone dares to say that the storm isn't bad with them, they are shot down. Or accused of trolling. People either want accurate reports or not.

No one has a problem with that.

Its the idiots who are saying that the whole thing was over hyped and it was like a normal winter storm, it was and it isnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Spoke with son in West Dublin. It was very windy earlier but nothing he hasn't experienced over the last 10 years. He said Dublin did not warrant a red warning. I agree and have read other posts by Dublin based posters on here whow agreen.

One thing I notice is that if anyone dares to say that the storm isn't bad with them, they are shot down. Or accused of trolling. People either want accurate reports or not.

You are definitely correct. In hindsight, parts of Dublin did not warrant a Red warning. It was very irresponsible of government to issue a red warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Great coverage on RTE all day.I know it is a much maligned organisation here on Boards.ie,but great credit must go to today's coverage.Also Met Eireann has been outstanding over the past few days,especially Joanna Donnelly all weekend and herself and Gerry Murphy on TV and Radio today as well as Evelyn Cusack on the Emergency Committee

Rikand wrote: »
    People who have gotten away with it in Dublin can thank the Wicklow Mountains - Serious amount of shelter received from the hills behind ye

Don't think they are much good to me in D15!Not so sure it's over yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭mossie

Seems to be calmer in Cork now.

Definitely calmer, still breezy but nothing like it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Spoke with son in West Dublin. It was very windy earlier but nothing he hasn't experienced over the last 10 years. He said Dublin did not warrant a red warning. I agree and have read other posts by Dublin based posters on here whow agreen.

I am in south west Dublin and am really glad that the red alert kept the injuries and fatalities down ( RIP to the three who sadly died ) We have trees down in out estate and who knows what might have happened had kids been going to school
    Far better to be safe than sorry in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

roads blocked all over the place.

https://www.theaa.ie/roadwatch/newsroom/

even if the winds die down, best not to drive around for a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

Looks to be the calmest it’s been all day now in Ennis. Heavy rain but the winds have subsided to a breeze. Hopefully the worst is over now for the South West/West of the country.

You are definitely correct. In hindsight, parts of Dublin did not warrant a Red warning. It was very irresponsible of government to issue a red warning.

Better to be safe than sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

In US they might issue a mandatory evacuation order for incoming weather, without being sure that a hurricane will follow a certain track, as that is the nature of hurricanes (as we now weirdly know!) so a red warning seems trivial in comparison. It might have saved a lot of lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

It looks like the natives of After Hours have decamped en mass to the weather forum today

The roads are quieter than they are on Christmas Day yet still 3 people died

There are thousands of trees blown over and straddling across roads that would normally be choc a block with vehicles

There are schools normally fully of kids that have the roofs blown off them

There are supermarkets normally full of shoppers that have their roofs blown off.

there are 400,000 people (thats one in ten of the population for those of you that struggle with maths) without power

... but it was completely over hyped

clowns

Post of the day...if not year. Scary to think how many more people could have been killed or injured if this was treated like 'any other day'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just picking up now in SW Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

circadian wrote: »
    Genuinely surprised how calm it is in Beaumont, Dublin at the minute consider how hard other areas are being hit. I'm guessing the worst is yet to come.

Same here up in Santry think the wind direction may have spared us the worst.

Although it is due to turn soon.

In other unrelated matters an 80 year old neighbour has decided today is a great day to cut his grass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

No one has a problem with that.

Its the idiots who are saying that the whole thing was over hyped and it was like a normal winter storm, it was and it isnt

So you agree it was over hyped then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We really need a pop up on the weather forum for days like today "This event has not ended, please to not speculate as to whether it was under or overhyped currently. Keep this thread for updates on the weather and discussion of it"

You seem to be aware of what hindsight is and then just ignore it in the next sentence and make the stupidest comment I've read all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

Without hindsight, which areas of Dublin did warrant a red warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Sorry but how could the Government use hindsight in their decisions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Do you think the authorities have some sort of De Loren and almanac and can precisely predict where the strongest gusts will be? Do you know what a forecast is? The storm last night looked as if was tracking such that a red was justified. It slightly changed course in the early hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

polydactyl wrote: »
    Never said it was the world wide definition of disaster. I said it was a disaster for my family. Sure why don't I just cancel my two hospital clinics tomorrow, that ppl have waited a year for an apt in. Rescheduling them will likely take months....that's a disaster for them...same goes for my other half. So yes it is a disaster for us!
    So if you agree that those appointments shouldn't be cancelled, maybe you should be on the phone ensuring that they don't have to be just because the state isn't providing free childcare tomorrow?

As a doctor (which I assume you are, from your quoted post) then you should have a far better understanding than a poor idiot of an observer like me of what a TRUE disaster looks like.

And stop pretending that schools being closed comes close to justifying that description ...
    To make it easier to read posts can people indicate their poster-type at the start of each post using the following categories;

1. FLIPPANT
    2. NERVOUS EXCITEMENT
    3. HOLIER THAN THOU
    4. ON HIGH HORSE

;)
    How about "pissed off with the whining nellies that some Irish people seem to have become since the 'halcyon' days of the Diseased Celtic Kitten?"

Advertisement