Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Daithi doing a cooking spot on Rte when about 400,000 people can't cook tonight

Not great thinking there tbh

Well if they can’t cook tonight they can’t watch the segment either so makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

fullstop wrote: »
    So what?? If they can't cook tonight they can hardly bloody watch RTE, can they?

Pmsl

Very good point

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

As winds veer SW to W Dublin may still receive 50-60kt gusts until around midnight....

We still have no communication from Sherkin and Cork Airport ....of note Sherkin, when the readings are sent from the back up the top gust may increase ....from the current max of 156kph reported at Roches Point earlier...

All in all although many areas received wind gusts in the Orange category, rather than red---the fact that so many stayed at home has saved countless lives..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Been calm enough in Sandyford all day. An hour or two of heavy wind but nothing really strong. Still enough to blow some paneling off the roof of the Beacon apartments across the way though. Luckily the Dunnes was closed as they cam down right into the Car Park that would usually be packed around this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Christ people are unreal.

Moaning about the red warning, moaning about kids being off school tomorrow.

With no warnings and everyone going about their normal day I imagine the death toll would be in the hundreds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Still very strong gusts here in cork. Raining quite a bit too every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jamesbere wrote: »
    I feel sorry the women working in the shop across the road from me. They were dragged into work

It's like a ghost town down my way.Even the local Scrooge closed yet Dealz head office told staff they had to go to work and stay until 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Just to compare Ophelia with Darwin again. Although Ophelia was weaker than Darwin. The most significant part of the storm was the timing and positioning. Majority of trees still had their leaves and were more prone to being blown over by strong gusts. With Darwin, trees had already shed their leaves.
    I would also point out that the jet stream was a lot stronger with Darwin and had a more pronounced sting jet than Ophelia.

Ophelia had higher speeds. 191 kph measure off Fastnet Lighthouse in Co.Cork.A new record.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭carrickbally

I see starlings flying around.

Does that mean it is over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Calming down a little in Clare, started to rain tho.. rivers are fairly high too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=52.8;1.3;5&l=gust&t=20171020/21

This on Friday looks like a repeat of today :eek: Any details?

The models aren't that accurate that far out. I don't think much notice needs to be paid until there's a structured cyclone and a reasonable prediction of the track. NHC don't have any indication of something forming in the area yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

Went for a walk along the quays in Dublin, and along Dame Street. So quiet around, although pubs open and tourists lolling about. A bit of a breeze, but nothing you couldn't hold a newspaper up in

I know, I know, there can be a second coming etc... but is it really going to get any worse wind wise in Dublin, doesn't seem so to me based on the weather apps? Possibly a downpour?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Leo waiting until 10.40am this morning to address the nation.

It is like the movie "Independence Day". When the president of America addressed the nation. Maybe we are being invaded by aliens.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

Have to say, grateful for red warning, closed schools etc. Even in Dublin, trees down everywhere. Including the entrance to our estate; no-one going in or out...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Where I am at the moment (Swords) the only thing that is really unusual is some moron who decided to fire off fireworks for the past 15 minutes.

Otherwise it's windy with sporadic cloud coverage and no rain since this morning.
    You must be near me, or theres 2 morons with fireworks

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

Thankfully my area outside Drogheda seems to have been only mildly affected so far... Would the worst of it have blown over now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

mdwexford wrote: »
    With no warnings and everyone going about their normal day I imagine the death toll would be in the hundreds.

Horseshit

The storm of hysteria around this weather is probably worse that the actual storm. Shows the power social media can give to idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Ummm no, I don't think so somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

If you just think about the number of tress that have fallen, and think of the fatalities there would have been had people not being given any warnings to stay in doors.

It's sad to think that some people just won't listen to the government/media and stay in doors. it's nearly inevitable that fatalities will rise as people think the worse is over, and head out - only to get caught out by a gust and maybe a falling tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Well we moved anyway. Power gone, kids won’t have much fun with that.

Unfortunately our live cable is bouncing around out on a main road. Called the esb, stood by it for a while. Couldn’t stop eejits walking their dogs or chlidren going over for a look at it. “Sure it’s bound to be a telecom”. Gardai arrived with a squad after a little while.

Meh. All i can do is tell them. They want to electrocute themselves, be my guest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Wind was heavy early on but it's calmed down fair bit now in Citywest Dublin.

I've been waiting for your one across road swinging flower baskets to go all day but nope still there!!

I figured it be a lot worse here and I'm guessing the worst has come and gone around my area.

Well I'm glad didn't lose power or any of that anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

Storm looks to have passed now thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

quarryman wrote: »
    Horseshit

Why so? The whole country was practically shut down and people still died

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Is it still not safe to go out in Dublin ? We've run out of milk !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Feckoffcup wrote: »
    Storm looks to have passed now thankfully

Depends on what county your in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I had to go to a dark quiet room to take a moment to compose myself.

There's nothing like a good storm,but the build up to this was phenomenal,the national hurricane centre was involved,a countrywide red alert event,the excitement,the anticipation, emergency warnings on TV screens the night before,

Then the day finally arrives after reading almost every post on the thread....

And personally experienced nothing in an exposed area renowned for bad windstorms

So disappointing

I have missed out on a once in a generation experience.i wish i had reframed from telling people about the impending epic storm that was going to lash mayo today.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Thankful for the red warning. Without it there would have been plenty of stubborn employers insisting on staff staying. We were let go home at 11am and it was actually sunny and very calm out but I can't stop thinking I would be driving home in very very strong winds now. Trees down everywhere. Power still on though and sky looking brighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

rustynutz wrote: »
    I'm in north west mayo and I haven't witnessed winds higher than the usual storms we have at this time of year, am I alone in this or has the worst yet to hit here?

Same here in Achill, I'm hoping that just for once we might escape it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Is it still not safe to go out in Dublin ? We've run out of milk !

Shops are all closed, surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

Anyone know what the story is when Ryanair haven't yet cancelled my 5pm flight? Seems some flights are departing Dublin airport somehow. If it leaves sometime tonight, do I have any recourse? I didn't even try and go to airport as would have a travel across the country?

Advertisement