Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

AllForIt wrote: »
    Just got a txt from my college to say it's closed tomorrow due to weather alert ! Never so delighted to get a notice of a cancellation as I'm totally exhausted. Thanks Ophelia ! : )

Which college is that

ME sea area forecast just been on RTE Radio 1 for tomorrow: Force 10 to 11, hurricane force 12 in parts for Carnsore Pt to Mizen Head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

First item on 1pm news

Gerry Flemming on.
    Wexford to mayo to get strongest winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

There will be no issues getting into work tomorrow but i would anticipate major issues by rush-hour in Dublin.

Wind progressively ramping up from c. 1pm....SE at first, veering S and then SW to W later on....

The southeasterly looks vicious for the east coast with gusts to 130kph progged.

If I was a Dublin employer who cared for my employees I'd definitely consider giving them a half day. Should miss the storm at its most severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,234 ✭✭✭✭km79

Ludo wrote: »
    FFS...strongly advise that schools close. Does anyone have a backbone and make an actual decision to just close them all. At least them people can make plans accordingly.

You can be sure that all schools will be closed in the red alert areas. No board of management will take the decision to open considering the implications for them if someone is injured given the public warnings that have been issued.
    We opened during Darwin in a red alert area
    The dept of education have completely passed the buck on this
    Child safety should be paramount
    Red alerts should equate to automatic school closure

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Chairman of NECC urging people not to travel to work during the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Piss poor coverage on Rte news

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Villain wrote: »
    Wexford and Waterford are under Red Warning. Confirmed by Met Eireann at conference

Pretty much expected. I would say later exposed Eastern counties might fall under it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Which college is that

Soz should have said. GMIT Mayo campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

For those who weren't here for Storm Darwin in Feb 2014 I did a blog post on it http://carlowweather.com/blog/the-great-storm-of-february-12th-2014/ at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Chairman of NECC urging people not to travel to work during the storm.

Not sure many employers will look at it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

The RTÉ report now LIVE didn’t mention Wexford or Waterford going red how negligent is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,898 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

RTÉ news were saying the schools and childcare providers are advised to not open in areas where a status red alert is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Gerry Fleming still going with the brunt of the storm to be in the south west and then tracking westerly as far up as Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

No school busses , so no school , kids staying home here and me too
    No discussions over here about it

Waterford and Wexford being shown now on the weather report as being a Red Warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

adam240610 wrote: »
    Wonder if UCD will do anything, have a lab tomorrow afternoon I can't miss and don't fancy the commute from Wicklow

Wexford-Wicklow-Dublin will be hit hardest by the cyclone's arm tomorrow afternoon

140-150kmh gusts.

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=52.88;-5.87;8&l=gust&t=20171016/16

That's crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The MetOffice UK have increased to Amber the wind warning for the North (surprised it was just Yellow all day yesterday).
    The Meteoalarm.eu have Red warnings for 'ALL coasts' including East along the Irish Sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Joanna is back.. a homegrown hurricane. Mean speed greater than 80 kmh
    Gusts greater than 130 kmh

Will change to ex hurricane status later today

There will be an updated rainfall warning later today

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Good luck to ye! Simultaneously delighted and disappointed to be missing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,898 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Good point on the weatherabout this not being a tail end of a hurricane. That's the sense I'm getting that people are assuming this will be the same.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

With the lack of rte coverage, I'm thinking of putting it up on Facebook (most people I know use Facebook and not the news!).

Would I look like a thick telling people that Dublin is going to get walloped and get them to prepare?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭amandstu

thomasj wrote: »
    it loses its eye when it becomes a tropical storm
    Well ,the centre then.Would it tend to track the West coast or is it just a coincidence?

Rainfall warnings to be issued according to Joanna later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭floorpie

Why are they so scared to make firm statements in this press conference. The weather "forecaster" has verbatim said that she can't make predictions about what will happen, is that not her job? Absolutely bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Outstanding forecast by Joanna!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Core of maximum winds on landfall looks like between Roches Point and Wexford. Key observation stations to watch are Roches Point, Waterford Airport (EIWF) and Johnstown Castle.

DMK5mruW4AA__qi.jpg

It's a bit odd that Status Red is given to Western Counties when they are now saying the coastal counties further East are to get the stronger winds.This could catch people out as they think "ah sure,the worst will be in the West".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Well I must say an absolutely stunning forecast from Joanna there on the 1pm news.

Getting the message through very clear.

Kudos to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭esposito

Outstanding forecast by Joanna!

Yes very good detailed forecast after a shaky start for her

Advertisement