Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,918 ✭✭✭✭listermint

LordSutch wrote: »
    Was windy enough alright, but as you say the 'wind speed' predictions were way OTT.

Dunno why the schools are off tomorrow.

Damage, power damage roads. Take your pick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Was windy enough alright, but as you say the 'wind speed' predictions were way OTT.

I can imagine that they wont be able to check the schools for dangers until tomorrow, and at that stage they can't send the kids home. Their parents have already headed off to work

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

Trees starting to come down here in South Donegal, getting very windy in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Oh I don’t know either. Couldn’t possibly be the fact it was closed today and could be damaged or power out? Oh no that couldn’t be the reason. That’s too much common sense and far too obvious.... must be some other cryptic reason we haven’t figured out yet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Because roads are blocked.

Slates and roofs may be loose.

Electric cables may be down.

You don't think these things should be checked out before hundreds of children rolling in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Are people on a different planet to me or something?

It has been absolutely battering down with wind since 1pm in the south-east, and doesn't seem to have slowed down much at all the last five hours.

Extensive and very visible damage to property in my locality, a death in the region, yet it hasn't materialised at all according to some on here. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

In Dublin completely overhyped. Was let's say very windy for about 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Without the red warning, there would have been more fatalities. Hundreds? Maybe not. Tens? Almost certainly. Not to mention the chaos of the tens or hundreds of thousands of stranded workers left without a way home when the busses weren't running this evening.

People don't seem to understand that a prediction is not a guarantee. It cannot be a guarantee. We don't get these kinds of storms in this part of the world often enough for predictions to be based on multiple events worth of experience the way they are in the Caribbean area— and even then, they get it wrong half the time. Had the track come even slightly further east, we would be experiencing far worse than we are now, and it is impossible to predict the path of a storm within a few KM.

The Met did the best they could with the models available, and the Goverment did the best they could with the information given to them. So the country's not completely flattened like we worried it might be. Isn't that a good thing? Could we maybe consider being relieved and grateful instead of irritated and whiny?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Are all schools and colleges closed tomorrow? I go to a college in Dublin, I don't understand why it would be closed again tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

I had to go to a dark quiet room to take a moment to compose myself.

There's nothing like a good storm,but the build up to this was phenomenal,the national hurricane centre was involved,a countrywide red alert event,the excitement,the anticipation, emergency warnings on TV screens the night before,

Then the day finally arrives after reading almost every post on the thread....

And personally experienced nothing in an exposed area renowned for bad windstorms

So disappointing

I have missed out on a once in a generation experience.i wish i had reframed from telling people about the impending epic storm that was going to lash mayo today.

Sure its a bit like the talk that happens around Mayo every September. So much promise but fizzles out.

Sorry off topic. could not resist

• Advertisement

I wonder if flights from Dublin are likely to be back to normal tomorrow morning. Flying at 6.30am and it would be nice to know before getting up at 4am

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Virtanen wrote: »
    Shoutout to the absolute legends at ESB. Power was only gone for less than 3 hours for us here in the center of Callan, Kilkenny

ESB Networks are one of the best and most professional service providers in the country. They are very reliable, proactive and communicative in these situations. Hats off to their crews yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Are all schools and colleges closed tomorrow? I go to a college in Dublin, I don't understand why it would be closed again tomorrow

First and secondary schools closed tomorrow thats definite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Paully D wrote: »
    Extensive and very visible damage to property in my locality, a death in the region, yet it hasn't materialised at all according to some on here. :eek:

People won’t be happy until they see schools full of kids, chaos on the roads and some wizard of oz style **** going on

Geostorm out later in the month, go sit with your popcorn and have a good aul bit of craic with that, and leave the real world and decisions to the grown ups

Some of us are trying to keep up to date with what’s happening here and every 2nd post nearly is how it’s “only a breeze” or why are schools closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It'll only be tomorrow when the media get a proper view that the full extent of the damage will become apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

Earlier in the day. Sorry if I misread your post - thought you were implying city centre got no wind at all.

Seems to have calmed down a lot in parts of Dublin that got lots of wind earlier.

No worries! I was just out and about in the past 30 mins or so. I live in the Liberties and the wind was fairly strong earlier to be fair. But it's relatively calm now thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

It has been absolutely battering down with wind since 1pm in the south-east, and doesn't seem to have slowed down much at all the last five hours.

sounds like all the dublin people calling it overhyped tbh. they are obviously oblivious to what happened in cork and other parts this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Just schools. It's up to each individual college.

As stated many times, schools need to assess the damage before letting children in the school, roads are blocked, electricity is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭cml387

Clonmel was very quiet today. Shops were closed and people stayed indoors.

A good thing too, because there's an entire roof lying on the main street in town, and other structural damage elsewhere.

Maybe the warnings saved one, ten or hundreds of lives, no one knows, but those who really believe this was a non event should really get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Yes. Clonmel had three shops lose their roofs.

That seems much worse than here in Dublin though. Oddly the winds here seemed to be high speed but higher up. Above the city, at 10-20M

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

I really wish Met E had stuck to their initial guns on this one.

The countrywide red was an over-reaction which stank of political interference.

Yes it has been an exceptionally windy day but really nothing more. I hope this doesn't undermine a future red warning that is warranted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Waara Rex

unkel wrote: »
    Shops are all closed, surely?
    Spar was open in Parnell Street around 2pm not sure about now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

cml387 wrote: »
    Clonmel was very quiet today. Shops were closed and people stayed indoors.

A good thing too, because there's an entire roof lying on the main street in town, and other structural damage elsewhere.

Maybe the warnings saved one, ten or hundreds of lives, no one knows, but those who really believe this was a non event should really get a grip.

Clonmel looked terrible. Roof came Lidl according to earlier reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

It's currently just primary and secondary schools. It's doubtful the department of education will unilaterally close 3rd level institutions but some might open late. Check your email and college website as you will be updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    In Dublin completely overhyped. Was let's say very windy for about 2 hours.

Better to be sure than sorry.

Imagine if Dublin had no warnings at all and people went out and about their daily business? No injuries or deaths in Dublin. Thankfully.

I'm all in favour of more caution is better when it comes to potentially life threatening events. There is no problem with keeping people safe, but there sure is if people die because no warnings were given.

Dublin survived because very few were out and about today. Same goes for other regions.

Very sorry for the three people who lost their lives today, but it could have been more had things not shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭C__MC

Are people really saying this is the worst storm in Irish history, I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭cml387

Yes it has been an exceptionally windy day but really nothing more. I hope this doesn't undermine a future red warning that is warranted.

..and yet still...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

So have tv3 just given up on their coverage?

All of the fatalities today took place in counties that were not in the original red warning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

In 2014, Dingle Peninsula had trees down, trucks overturned, shed roofs flying around and 4800 premises without power.

In 2017, no damage and 0 houses without power.

You can clearly see along the west coast up into Connemara where the damage has been spared. Looking at the ESB map it seems that West Corks electricity network has taken a hammering

Lots of large faults nationwide that will materialise into clusters of smaller faults when the main one is fixed. It's going to be a busy few weeks for the ESB. Hopefully they can manage to get it done without any accidents happening to them. Fair play to all the work they've done so far. Most of North Kerry is back and a large swathe of the 15k in south Kerry are expected to be back tonight

Advertisement