Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

C__MC wrote: »
    Are people really saying this is the worst storm in Irish history, I give up.

Well it wasn’t here in Dublin. But we aren’t the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think the excellent warnings and communications helped immensely. I remember Xmas 1997 was possibly worse but the warnings etc seemed to be far less than today.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,427 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Galway City area isn't too bad now. It looks like it escaped the full force compared to the south of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭caniask86

Is the storm over in Dublin now? We are north Dublin inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

froog wrote:
    sounds like all the dublin people calling it overhyped tbh. they are obviously oblivious to what happened in cork and other parts this afternoon.

Not oblivious at all..it wasn't a red alert in Dublin that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I really wish Met E had stuck to their initial guns on this one.

The countrywide red was an over-reaction which stank of political interference.

Yes it has been an exceptionally windy day but really nothing more. I hope this doesn't undermine a future red warning that is warranted.

That is exactly what has happened. Ive seen much much more damage without the red alert.

From now on I will be going "yeah yeah sure" when I hear about these ridiculous exaggerations. Ive had a gopro out my window doing a timelapse all day and I live up a mountain, its going to be the most boring footage Ive ever taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭cml387

marno21 wrote: »
    Lots of large faults nationwide that will materialise into clusters of smaller faults when the main one is fixed. It's going to be a busy few weeks for the ESB. Hopefully they can manage to get it done without any accidents happening to them. Fair play to all the work they've done so far. Most of North Kerry is back and a large swathe of the 15k in south Kerry are expected to be back tonight

A good point. A near neighbour of my parents in Mullingar was responsible for a repair team some years ago. Due to a mistake on his part the power was restored while a team was still working on the line and a man was killed. He never recovered mentally from the accident.

To the ESB teams out there at the moment, thanks very much and take care.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ginny wrote: »
    You must be near me, or theres 2 morons with fireworks

Same here some Muppet just set off a few

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Galway City area isn't too bad now. It looks like it escaped the full force compared to the south of the country.

RTE are more than a little obsessed with Galway...far worse in Wexford/Waterford and Tipperary but no reporters planted there at all...Galway updates every few mins with very little actually happening.

That is exactly what has happened. Ive seen much much more damage without the red alert.

From now on I will be going "yeah yeah sure" when I hear about these ridiculous exaggerations. Ive had a gopro out my window doing a timelapse all day and I live up a mountain, its going to be the most boring footage Ive ever taken.

Well that's pretty silly tbh. What's the big deal in taking precautions just in case? Part of the reason it was uneventful for a lot of people is because they weren't out in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Not oblivious at all..it wasn't a red alert in Dublin that's all.

impossible to know that yesterday. why take the chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

It's not over yet, even if the storm has mostly passed. It's pulling a nasty belt of wind behind it as well which will also travel up the country. West Galway and along the coast there can expect force 7-8 tonight and it appears to be over Kerry currently. That looks like it will keep mostly on the shoreline though. Galway looks to be hit around 8PM until 10PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Well that's pretty silly tbh. What's the big deal in taking precautions just in case? Part of the reason it was uneventful for a lot of people is because they weren't out in it.

Out in what? A strong wind? Once it hit land the wind speed subsided massively, as it usually does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

What looked like the beginnings of a bad storm here in Sligo about two or three hours ago has petered out into a blustery evening. Hopefully that's it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

froog wrote: »
    impossible to know that yesterday. why take the chance?

I think it was the right call to have the red warning tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 batchuba

eigrod wrote: »
    The subject at hand is the hurricane/storm today - not anything else. Perhaps you happened on the wrong forum on boards.ie ?

The poster flippantly dismissed the storm as 'a bit of wind' or some such. It was anything but, as 3 deaths demonstrated.

If you want to discuss suicides or other means of death, then why not go to the appropriate forum on boards.ie?

It was an extremely serious hurricane/storm in many parts of the country - not 'a bit of wind'. Hopefully 3 deaths will be all it is.

I wasn't addressing which of you two were correct in your assessment of the storm? I couldn't have given a ****. I was defending his right to be flippant about it, regardless.

*Grudgingly edited to remove abusive venting, since this ain't a youtube thread*

• Registered Users Posts: 26,374 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You mean like in another 50 years?

Some people really are gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hammering back stream coming up now in Wicklow.

If folks think it's finished. It's not its heading north

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

road_high wrote: »
    RTE are more than a little obsessed with Galway...far worse in Wexford/Waterford and Tipperary but no reporters planted there at all...Galway updates every few mins with very little actually happening.

Yeah I have no idea why Galway is so prominent. Must be to keep Teresa in the coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stheno wrote: »
    I think it was the right call to have the red warning tbh.

+1

It most likely saved at least 10 lives. Surely that is worth a bit of inconvenience for the rest of us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

My hearts bleeds that you didn't get good gopro footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

If you ignore a future red warning and die, it will be entirely your own fault. Yes, it was not awful in your back garden, boopsie for you. Look at the rest of the country, particularly Cork, and say it wasn't bad.

To deliberately set about to dismiss them in the future because the national warning was not relevant to your square mile or so is daft, but that's your choice. Just don't tell people then not to pay attention to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Out in what? A strong wind? Once it hit land the wind speed subsided massively, as it usually does.

Out when trees fell and roofs came off and tiles flew . Thank goodness the red alert kept kids indoors when a huge tree lifted roots and all and fell on a path in our estate

A wind that had downed trees all over the place, cut electricity for hundreds of thousands of people and blown roofs off schools and supermarkets. Are you serious? Even in Dublin there have been plenty of trees down, if everyone carried on as normal today far more people would have been killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

marno21 wrote: »
    In 2014, Dingle Peninsula had trees down, trucks overturned, shed roofs flying around and 4800 premises without power.

In 2017, no damage and 0 houses without power.

You can clearly see along the west coast up into Connemara where the damage has been spared. Looking at the ESB map it seems that West Corks electricity network has taken a hammering

Same with North Cork (Duhallow area) where the home-place is. We suffered much worse in 2014. My local village was virtually impassable. A tree did fall locally this time, but certainly no damage to the scale of 2014 - and no power loss.

The original predictions were correct. The South-Western, Southern, and South-Eastern coastal regions took the brunt of the hit. South Kerry, West-Cork, Cork-City, Waterford, all took a hammering.

I'm currently in Dublin and bar strong wind around 2pm-ish, there was nothing else to notice. Happy to be at home for it though - good advice to get everyone off the streets, better be safe than sorry. But certainly not as bad for some areas as predicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

My sympathies are with those that lost their lives today...RIP. They were right to issue a nationwide red alert, who knows how worse it could've been otherwise. Very calm where I am now, East Galway. There's cars passing by my place like any other day. I don't know if there's worst to come for here anyway, but hoping it won't be too severe for everywhere the rest of the night.
    I'm absolutely wrecked, I do not like wind, it scares me. Was following this thread all yesterday evening and for most of last night and today. I think I put my phone down around 4.30 this morning, couldn't stop reading or get any sleep. Followed the 'technical thread ' too even though it totally over my head a bit, but still i thank all the posters from there and here. Having a glass of wine here and feeling kinda relieved that it wasn't so harsh, for me, or my mother who lives a good bit away

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

What looked like the beginnings of a bad storm here in Sligo about two or three hours ago has petered out into a blustery evening. Hopefully that's it.
    hope youre not getting what we are getting in donegal town now really got bad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Out when trees fell and roofs came off and tiles flew . Thank goodness the red alert kept kids indoors when a huge tree lifted roots and all and fell on a path in our estate

Exactly - roofs blew off in schools in Cork, thankfully schools were closed

Yeah I have no idea why Galway is so prominent. Must be to keep Teresa in the coverage.

Even Cork city seems a by-the-way by comparison- despite very heavy looking damage to public buildings etc. Absolutely ridiculous coverage.
    They have Kieran Mulooly up in Mayo where it looks absolutely fine!!
    Plastic Sheeting in west Kerry where it's not too bad either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

very quiet here in Mayo now, even though it didnt get too bad at all today. Think we got off lucky.

Advertisement