Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Any word on how this may affect the northwest? I'm in County Derry. Windy enough on and off today but no more than a normal winter storm so far. I can appreciate how bad it has been in other parts though - been following this thread the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I do think some things were not required like the Emergency Broadcast System.

One thing you want is for people to follow warnings. Things like EBS should be last resort. Cry wolf once too often and people won't take it seriously.

People didn't follow the warnings, the result was deaths.

The lesson you take is don't listen again then next time.

Good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Unfortunately there are two dead in louth
    1 louth , 1 tipperary and 1 waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Red Alert = Absolutely Yes.

Nationwide = No.

I've seen many worse storms in Galway in the last 10 years. Even the rain wasn't bad.

It's a pity a storm doesn't have a steering wheel, it would make predicting their path straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

A few lucked out and were sheltered from the worst and thought "what's all the fuss?" Had they been stuck trying to get somewhere with lumps of trees,bits of roofs etc flying about then they might have a different opinion.Its still just as bad now as it was 5 hours ago in Wexford.
    The less people out and about means less injury and death.The warnings were justified.

I have been inside all today and didn't think it was too bad but Mobile homes wrecked, trees down, and power cables down in my local area!

Glad I didn't have to go out in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Bar Kerry, the west has done okay so far. Still waiting for midnight or so for the storm's rear end to pass before I come out of my bunker anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Nationwide = No.

I've seen many worse storms in Galway in the last 10 years. Even the rain wasn't bad.

Easy to say that in hindsight.

A small change in the path of the storm could have made things far worse in plenty of parts of the country. There's already footage of serious damage all over the country. I don't see the problem with the red warning in those circumstances at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

It’s weird. Here in Portmarnock since around midday and we seemed to get maybe two hours of it. Some strong gusts but noth8ng extra ordinary or so it seems. A couple of hundred yards down the road and the sign over the barbers shop is hanging off!!

It’s been relatively calm here for at least two hours or more.

So glad that we seem to have gotten away lightly compared to what I’ve been reading elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

spookwoman wrote: »

One in blackrock and one in ravensdale

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I really wish Met E had stuck to their initial guns on this one.

The countrywide red was an over-reaction which stank of political interference.

Yes it has been an exceptionally windy day but really nothing more. I hope this doesn't undermine a future red warning that is warranted.

Met reann have done a great job - except for one thing; they forgot to issue a Force 6 Troll warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You are saying there have been 4 confirmed deaths in total? Don't see anything about a fourth fatality on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It seems that once this hit land it took a lot of the energy out of it.
    Huge difference between southern areas and further north.

I think the red level warning was justified given the debris that has been seen flying around.

People might complain about schools not opening tomorrow but a lot of back roads could still be blocked with possibly cables down.

Schools need to be checked out too.
    No harm in being cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Jaysus, there's a lot of experts around after the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Nobody died in Blackrock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Nationwide = No.

Clsoing the schools again shows how soft society has become. Just ask one teacher to go in now and check the lights/water and call it.

Easy say that now.

We haven't had an event like this before so it's not easy make predictons.

3 people are dead with all the warnings so it could have been worse if there were more people about

blackrock was 2 windsurfers they are fine, Ravensdale was the louth one, sorry tree fell on car not chainsaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

We're getting a good old blast in Donegal. It's not over until it's over, whenever that'll be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Fair play to the ESB. Power went off in Sligo around 4pm and came back on before 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Nobody died in Blackrock

Emergency services are currently at an accident in Haynes town blackrock I know for a fact

• Advertisement

Winds are still extremely strong here in Sth Wexford.

No power since lunchtime.

No damage thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

For those questioning the red alert in Dublin, a large bough of a tree fell on Leeson street and another next to Charlemont Luas. Both these areas are generally very busy with pedestrians and motorists.

Had it not been for the red alert there would have been lots of people in those areas (and the plenty of other areas where trees fell or buildings were damaged).

FWIW I think the reaction to it, while slow at first, has been very good with RTE doing an excellent job in providing updates

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

blackrock was 2 windsurfers they are fine, Ravensdale was the louth one, chainsaw accident

Chainsaw accident was in Tipp

Actually wasn't a chainsaw accident at all though. Guy got hit by a second tree while trying to clear the first one

Nationwide = No.

Clsoing the schools again shows how soft society has become. Just ask one teacher to go in now and check the lights/water and call it.

And when someone's son/daughter class gets killed from a roof collapsing in, because there wasn't time to do a proper check, people like you would be saying, "ridiculous opening the schools a day after such a big storm."

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

petition for Gerry to get the rest of the week off. God he looks wrecked.

Emergency services are currently at an accident in Haynes town blackrock I know for a fact

sorry didnt know that,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Samaris wrote: »
    If you ignore a future red warning and die, it will be entirely your own fault. Yes, it was not awful in your back garden, boopsie for you. Look at the rest of the country, particularly Cork, and say it wasn't bad.

To deliberately set about to dismiss them in the future because the national warning was not relevant to your square mile or so is daft, but that's your choice. Just don't tell people then not to pay attention to it.

Where did I tell anyone not to pay attention to it? I said I wouldnt pay attention to it. Bad news sells, the melodrama in here is enough proof of that.

I am not saying its not windy, but its not anything like what it was made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Still crazy windy in Waterford....

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Still have power here near Mallow

thought the worse was over, had a lull for an hour around 4.30 when I was sure it was all over and contemplated going out for a walk, but looks like round two is well on the way now
    Friends called to plug in their freezer and have a bite to eat they have no power or water since 11am and young family, will be glad to see the end of it.
    I thought Darwin was way more aggressive/dangerous at least in my area, we were without power and water for 3 days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

petition for Gerry to get the rest of the week off. God he looks wrecked.

He has literally been non stop all day

Advertisement