Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

I cant believe the people that are saying the Status red was an over reaction. There are 3 people dead even with all the warnings. Its better to over react than under react.
    If they had said nothing and 3 people died the very same people would be complaining that not enough was done. I think all bodies got it right so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Emergency services are currently at an accident in Haynes town blackrock I know for a fact

Nothing on any news source about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Can we just have a moratorium on posts complaining about the warnings for a bit please? It's insulting to those who have been badly hit, like Cork, and it's previous since the storm isn't actually done yet.

If things are over for you and it wasn't bad and you think it was overhyped, I'm glad you can feel that way. Can you now stfu about it until the rest of us are out of it too please?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,672 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Red Alert = Absolutely Yes.

Nationwide = No.

The three deaths were in geographically disparate parts of the country. I think Met Eireann played a blinder on this one.

People seem to be bizarrely disappointed that they didn't get a full-on disaster on the scale of Puerto Rico. Count yourselves fcuking lucky that "all" that happened was your wheely bin blowing over.

Ghouls.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Can any other Dubs confirm we are seeing the strongest gusts we have seen all day in the last 20 minutes or is it just my locale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

It's kinda pointless trying to answer the 'over hyped' brigade because it all depends on what they thought the hype was going to mean in their own heads rather than their understanding of weather forecasting. But here goes anyway

Sticking to the facts Met E definition of a Red Wind Warning as mean speeds of>80kph and gusts >130kph. We'll get the full details tomorrow but there were reports of Cork & Waterford definitely hitting these marks with Roches Point having a 156ph gust and mean speeds of 111kph at one point. Dublin Bay bouy also apparently reported 130kph (not onshore but close). And Dublin Airport gusts were very close to the Red mark.

Met E also indicate for Red 'recipients take action to protect themselves and/or their properties' & there is a danger to life and property. Given the unfortunate death of 3 people from Louth/Tipp/Waterford, trees down across nearly all regions, significant property damage again across a wide area, ESB Powercheck site showing power outages in nearly every county then that warning seems more than apt to me.

Technically every county will not have hit criteria for a Red alert but most counties experienced the impacts and I for one are far happier depending on judgement of Met E and the Boards.ie expert forecasters than some of the 'over hype' posters on here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭mossie

Wind picking up again north Co. Cork. Definitely stronger than an hour ago. Don't think there's a lot of damage locally but the 2014 storm probably got rid of a lot of the dangerous trees.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

For those questioning the red alert in Dublin, a large bough of a tree fell on Leeson street and another next to Charlemont Luas. Both these areas are generally very busy with pedestrians and motorists.

Had it not been for the red alert there would have been lots of people in those areas (and the plenty of other areas where trees fell or buildings were damaged).

FWIW I think the reaction to it, while slow at first, has been very good with RTE doing an excellent job in providing updates

I often work around those areas and would have been today if I hadn't taken the day off. If the busses had been running that tree on Leeson St could have hurt a lot of people

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭septictank

Mad blowey here a few hours ago, nothing going on now Dublin 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

conor05 wrote: »
    And if the guards knocked on your door to say a loved one was killed by a falling tree due to storm would you call it ridiculous and reply 'yeah yeah sure'?
    Two now dead in Louth, one in Waterford and one in Tipperary. Trying to look like a great fella on boards when you end up embarrassing yourself. Eejit

Watch your mouth child.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

For those questioning the red alert in Dublin, a large bough of a tree fell on Leeson street and another next to Charlemont Luas. Both these areas are generally very busy with pedestrians and motorists.

Had it not been for the red alert there would have been lots of people in those areas (and the plenty of other areas where trees fell or buildings were damaged).

FWIW I think the reaction to it, while slow at first, has been very good with RTE doing an excellent job in providing updates

I often work around those areas and would have been today if I hadn't taken the day off. If the busses had been running that tree on Leeson St could have hurt a lot of people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

People complaining that their go pro didn't get good footage. That's mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

spookwoman wrote: »
    blackrock was 2 windsurfers they are fine, Ravensdale was the louth one, sorry tree fell on car not chainsaw

Are you sure the windsurfers are ok??

They deserve a good hiding and a night in the slammer for being so 'retarded' if you ask me. What were they thinking. Whatever about their own safety the emergency services that have to rescue them are put at serious risk also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

All quiet now in Clare, rain long gone and looks like a normal autumn evening. Hope those who are still in the throws of the storm stay safe for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Can any other Dubs confirm we are seeing the strongest gusts we have seen all day in the last 20 minutes or is it just my locale?

I don't think so. Only 33 kt gust on DL pier weather station.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gusting 52kts in Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Im in d18 and its as strong as it has been since earlier this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭babyboom

Picking up again here in Donabate

• Registered Users Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

D.Q wrote: »

im one of those, im demanding the storm machine to be switched back on to max!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

North County here. Breezy is all. Maybe 40-50km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

We're on the Offaly/north Tipperary border have had no power since 1:30 and finding it hard to get updates. Has the storm passed over us now or are we on track to get a "second part" of it soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thread quieting down now.

Everyone home from work/school (joke), dinner over lol.

Boards is BACK to normal functionality.

I don't believe it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

The loudest and windiest it has been all day in Sandyford

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

They say that a hurricane is something you never truly know that you're 'in' especially if you stay safe and warm inside, watching it out your window.

Unlike a tornado or earthquake when you obviously know that you're 'in' it.

It's only when you leave the comfort of your home and assess the damage that's been done, or get too comfortable and take a stupid risk that you realise how powerful and damaging a hurricane truly is. A lot of people will be completely shocked at the widespread carnage in the morning and for the sake of 24 hours
    I think it's great that unnecessary risks have been minimised and apart from a few tragic exceptions and the usual loss of electricity services and structural damages, this hurricane will have passed without much incident.

For all those who consider it imperative for whatever old-fashioned values they hold that 'business should have continued as normal today', tomorrow everything will resume as normal and life will go on. Appointments will be rescheduled, missed work will be caught up on and our inefficient, painfully unintegrated (is that the correct word?) public transport system will trudge back into action and we can remember this day on Reeling in the years and be thankful we stayed safe and warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

petition for Gerry to get the rest of the week off. God he looks wrecked.

who me is it...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Nothing on any news source about it

Imelda Munster has it on her Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

D.Q wrote: »

Where did you hear that one??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

The loudest and windiest it has been all day in Sandyford

Similar in Rathmines, certainly more consistent anyway.

We're on the Offaly/north Tipperary border have had no power since 1:30 and finding it hard to get updates. Has the storm passed over us now or are we on track to get a "second part" of it soon?

Im fairly sure its moved on past ye

I hope you get power back soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Are you sure the windsurfers are ok??

They deserve a good hiding and a night in the slammer for being so 'retarded' if you ask me. What were they thinking. Whatever about their own safety the emergency services that have to rescue them are put at serious risk also.
    yep there was even something about them threatening to make complaints about the police https://www.her.ie/news/kite-surfers-threaten-complaints-emergency-services-stopping-370113

Advertisement