Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Similar in Rathmines, certainly more consistent anyway.

Yes, seems to be at its strongest in South Dublin now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

septictank wrote: »
    Mad blowey here a few hours ago, nothing going on now Dublin 7.

Windy in Cabra but not as bad as it was earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It is currently as bad as it has been all afternoon here where I am (south-east coast).

Is there actually any let up to this at all tonight and if so, when can we expect it down here?

I am not sure how much longer some structures are going to last if it continues at this pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Thread quietening down but Donegal is just hitting it's roughest now. The cloud rotation is mesmerising, incredible to watch. Recorded this around 40 minutes ago. The video doesn't show the huge rotation.

Also that poor bird about 25 seconds from the end 😂

https://youtu.be/AYIpLZAftdA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Definitely picking up again here in South Dublin...! Crazy noises outside for the first time since about 3pm.

I was hoping to go to bed for a nap; got very little sleep last night. No chance of that for another few hours, I think.

I thought the peak was going to be over by 7pm? We'd be lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Imelda Munster has it on her Facebook page

She has since said there wasn't a death in blackrock, co. Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Seems to be picking up again around Naas , powers out here for a few hours now . Thankfully we were quiet in work today so no need to go in and because of the warnings and the advice on the threads here over the past few days I had a ramble around this morning clearing gutters and securing sheds etc so hopefully will escape any damage .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The RTE News Now channel worked very well today with the simple text graphic runs running along the side with key points of info and contact numbers.

You have to wonder if events like this will become more common with sea temps rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The loudest and windiest it has been all day in Sandyford

Same here on the northside. Strongest gusts of the day at the moment here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Whipping up a bit again here in south KK. Not as powerful as earlier though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Definitely stormier and more dark clouds than there has been all day here in Dublin 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Same here on the northside. Strongest gusts of the day at the moment here.

Dublin 15 as gusty as it’s been all day

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Sariah

Fairly blustery here now. D24. Tree blew down in garden earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

I'm in D18 and the wind is shaking the balcony door as if someone is there trying to come in. But it's coming from a different direction. Trees looked to be more shook about 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Imelda Munster has it on her Facebook page

She has this up now
    Thankfully reports of the second death in Louth appear to be unfounded. Sadly one life lost in Louth along with two others around the country. Thoughts and prayers for them tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Watch your mouth child.

Stop digging, Tiree.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

We don't shy from giving out when the "authorities" get things wrong, so in this case I think we should be happy with what they got right.

Met Eireann gave good information, good advice and were clear on what they knew and didn't know. They knew it was an extraordinary weather event, but they couldn't predict exactly what would happen as a consequence.

The Government I thought did OK, but their emergency committee should have met earlier than Sunday and the advice was good but not great. It was unclear what "stay indoors" really mean - I think they were deliberately ambiguous, and were lucky the storm didn't affect most peoples commute to work.

Employers were a mixed bag. Dublin city was chaos with many people arriving into work at 9, and barely sitting down before running away to get public transport home. It was an interesting test of employer attitudes to staff safety.

We'll see in the coming days how the local authorities and ESB respond, their work is only starting.

Boards came through brilliantly, I'm sure the site was under strain ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fair ould belt of wind here in north dublin just now, one of the panels in the garden fence has been barely hanging in, I thought it was gonna finally break the groove in the concrete post and go flying

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

I must say fair play to the crowd on here, very informative, one of the best forums on Boards.ie. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Here in south west, I found that storm Darwin in 2014 was away harsher, did structural damage, brought down trees, , was frightened this time, and none of that happened, the gales were much less than Darwin, glad it is coming to an end

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

It's still gusting away here in North Kildare as it has been fairly consistently from 11 am onwards. Some of the gusts here today were by far the strongest I've ever known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

D.Q wrote: »
    People complaining that their go pro didn't get good footage. That's mental.

I know, right? Ridiculous. Three families mourning tonight and somebody is complaining because they didn't get good footagey-wootagey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

That was an interesting and scary day. Winds I've never experienced before here in Tipperary.

Lots of damage and debris around. Power just back on now.

Thanks a lot to all the contributors, ye have been a great help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

goat2 wrote: »
    Here in south west, I found that storm Darwin in 2014 was away harsher, did structural damage, brought down trees, , was frightened this time, and none of that happened, the gales were much less than Darwin, glad it is coming to an end

Yeah I felt we got some decent gusts but we never got the sustained winds of Darwin. In Galway anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Can any other Dubs confirm we are seeing the strongest gusts we have seen all day in the last 20 minutes or is it just my locale?

Major increase in traffic on my street. Pedestrians too.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭JFKIRELAND

Feels like the wind is swinging into the SW now - gusts definitely sound more violent but not as severe speedwise. Maybe it is the difference between the mean wind and the gusts...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Where did you hear that one??

Courtesy of TireeTerror:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104991716&postcount=5464

• Registered Users Posts: 28,055 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm in Enniscorthy in Wexford and in the last 40 minutes the wind seems to have really stepped it up a notch.

Is this caused by the shift in the wind direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Wind has been picking up for the last 20-30 minutes in the curragh, it had gone quiet for a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Thank you to the esb crews for reconnecting our road. Serious respect.

Advertisement