Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Here in Tramore it's still blowing pretty hard. Has been like that since 2pm with no noticeable increase (good) or decrease. According to that ventusky site it will probably decrease from around 10pm onwards. That site has been pretty spot on so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Are you sure the windsurfers are ok??

They deserve a good hiding and a night in the slammer for being so 'retarded' if you ask me. What were they thinking. Whatever about their own safety the emergency services that have to rescue them are put at serious risk also.

Not excusing their behaviour, but apparently they weren't in trouble. Bystanders reported concern when they lost sight and called the lifeboats. They picked them up as a precaution and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,766 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

goat2 wrote: »
    Here in south west, I found that storm Darwin in 2014 was away harsher, did structural damage, brought down trees, , was frightened this time, and none of that happened, the gales were much less than Darwin, glad it is coming to an end

The problem here was the system itself.
    It was a system we never seen before and quite literally did not know what to expect or what the intensity would be. We here were virtually unaffected by Darwin.
    3 lives in a few hours massive power outages and damage was enough to justify a full on red warning.

Well done to all involved in this. Not once did I feel underinformed or isolated.
    We seem to have gotten away lightly again but it isn't over yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Same here on the northside. Strongest gusts of the day at the moment here.

Where about s are you? Here in Portmarnock it’s got blustery again but noth8ng like earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭caniask86

Very bad winds in Dublin now and just got notice to not go to school or work tomorrow. Hope everyone stays safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Other than the guys on the weather expert thread (Thanks guys !) my particular thanks goes out to the creators of the Ventusky website.

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=53.42;-7.19;6&l=gust

This site has proven to be pretty damn accurate for my location all during the storm and also in the forecast one / two days or just hours ahead.

Will be using it again for the next storm (after all it's only October and winter is coming :D) as I think it explains wind events very graphically and accurately for all to understand...even me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

It's worse here in north Kildare than today. There's a tree outside my house contorting into all sort of shapes while the rest of it is on the ground.
    Taught it had passed but it's still rocking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

We're having power in the Shillelagh area again for an hour now.
    We grilled steak in the fireplace and were prepared to drive to his parents in Dublin tomorrow.

I hope you're all safe and well!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭oterra

Lemsiper wrote: »
    Major increase in traffic on my street. Pedestrians too.
    Yes in South West Dublin, theres an increase in gust strength and mean speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Roof was just shaking here in west Dublin. Hasn't done that all day. Definitely picking up here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Darwin was a lot stronger in Ennis than Ophelia, we were lucky to avoid the worst this time

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

Yeah I felt we got some decent gusts but we never got the sustained winds of Darwin. In Galway anyway.

Same here in East Clare, not far from Limerick city. Far less severe than Darwin. Purely based on my location it would be a damp squib, but turns out we were better off than lots of the country - very surprising based on the track of the storm.

A few weak branches down.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

yeahimhere wrote: »
    Not excusing their behaviour, but apparently they weren't in trouble. Bystanders reported concern when they lost sight and called the lifeboats. They picked them up as a precaution and rightly so.

I think surfer(s) have lost their lives before in that area a few years back if I remember.
    Locals might have been playing it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Still seem like strong gusts in Roscommon/Athlone area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Gotta be honest, I'm completely drawing a blank on Storm Darwin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Thank you to the esb crews for reconnecting our road. Serious respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

caniask86 wrote: »
    Very bad winds in Dublin now and just got notice to not go to school or work tomorrow. Hope everyone stays safe.

You were told not to go to work tomorrow? Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I think the weather atm in North Kerry is worse then it was today,winds have picked up in the last hour,some strong gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I'm in Enniscorthy in Wexford and in the last 40 minutes the wind seems to have really stepped it up a notch.

Is this caused by the shift in the wind direction?
    Seems so. I was happy that we had got through the afternoon without losing power. Not so certain now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

road_high wrote: »
    RTE are more than a little obsessed with Galway...far worse in Wexford/Waterford and Tipperary but no reporters planted there at all...Galway updates every few mins with very little actually happening.

So it wasn't just me who thinks that. Somebody high up in RTE has a real thing about Galway and Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Stronger gusts now in West Dublin than earlier today. A couple of trees already down in my estate and three look likely to go now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Gotta be honest, I'm completely drawing a blank on Storm Darwin.

Me too, can’t remember a jot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Picked up a bit in d15 after a quiet few hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Absolute non issue here in west Wicklow, bit of a blustery day but that's it. Must be the mountain's sheltering us.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Stronger gusts now in West Dublin than earlier today. A couple of trees already down in my estate and three look likely to go now.

Definitely louder too . Its so loud down the chimney now I had to turn up the volume on the teli

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ascophyllum

Definitely on the weaker side of the storm all day in Mayo for once, very little drama apart from some flooding.

The authorities, Met Eireann got it spot on with the nationwide warning, undoubtedly saved lives, serious amount of trees down everywhere and they managed to make sure the roads were quiet, also the posters here were super accurate with their forecast days away from it, huge value to society this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭clawback07

Winds picking up again here in Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I would have thought a tree falling on a car with lethal force would be a freak occurence but it seems to be the biggest danger when these major storms hit...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

eigrod wrote: »
    So it wasn't just me who thinks that. Somebody high up in RTE has a real thing about Galway and Mayo.

The Enda effect it'll take a while for the Leo one to kick in,Castleknock will be overrun by reporters in a year or so when there's another event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,055 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

cabledude wrote: »
    Seems so. I was happy that we had got through the afternoon without losing power. Not so certain now.....

I lost a tree off the back ditch and the side gate blew down. Have everything battened down so hopefully it'll die down shortly.

Advertisement