Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Well I taught it had passed but last hour it's strong as it's been all day probably more so!

Seriously noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Absolute non issue here in west Wicklow, bit of a blustery day but that's it. Must be the mountain's sheltering us.

In the very Southwest of Wicklow we had long power outages and a lot of trees on the street, some of my neighbors started going off to help clearing the streets once the gusts eased off a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Still terrible in North Tipp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Me too, can’t remember a jot of it.

I was living in Dublin then... which people say was affected by Darwin. Nope, can't recall any early 2014 storm that sticks out in my mind. December 2013, yes in the North West and West of the country, because I attended a wedding in a storm that month but February 2014 - nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,672 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Jesus, can we stop with the "Darwin was worse in my area" nonsense. We get it, Ophelia wasn't a blanket affair. But at the end of the day, 240,000 people were without power after Darwin; 385,000 were blacked out today. Make of that what you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭EarlyStorms

Definitely picking up again here in North Dublin, stronger gusts had gone into a lull for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

Dublin centric again but no Luas running tomorrow morning. Further updates at noon

https://www.luas.ie/travel-updates/

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

Well I taught it had passed but last hour it's strong as it's been all day probably more so!

Seriously noisy.

Same here in KK - goes very quiet then all of a sudden it sounds like a train roaring past. Tried to see what was going on outside and you can feel the windows shaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Just took the dog for a walk. Few small trees down around Sandyford Industrial Estate but no big damage.

Still fairly windy but nothing extreme here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I would have thought a tree falling on a car with lethal force would be a freak occurence but it seems to be the biggest danger when these major storms hit...

Yeah, with Hurricane Debbie, five deaths were caused by falling trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Still blowing here in West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/hurricane-ophelia/whatever-turns-you-on-unrepentant-pensioner-who-swam-off-galway-coast-as-storm-ophelia-raged-36232783.html

People like this man need to know that not everything is about them . Its about the risk that others might have needed to risk themselves if anything had gone wrong .
    Selfish , thoughtless behavour

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭caniask86

lawred2 wrote: »
    You were told not to go to work tomorrow? Why not?

I work in a school and all schools are closed tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

eigrod wrote: »
    So it wasn't just me who thinks that. Somebody high up in RTE has a real thing about Galway and Mayo.

I think it's because those counties were expected to get the worst of it based on met eireann and others

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Nothing major here to report so far in SW Donegal, some strong gusts plenty of rain but nothing that would frighten me (yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Where did I tell anyone not to pay attention to it? I said I wouldnt pay attention to it. Bad news sells, the melodrama in here is enough proof of that.

I am not saying its not windy, but its not anything like what it was made out to be.

Oh yes it is. Maybe not where you are. But is is extremely dangerous still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Jaysus, the Isle of Man must be wrecked completely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Go to met.ie, then Forecasts and choose 'short range forecast', click on 'wind' tab and that will give you all the info you need to see where this is going for the next few hours, basically still gusting away for most until well after midnight. There is a great writeup on storm Darwin here, it certainly gave stronger gusts in some of the affected counties than today's effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Gotta be honest, I'm completely drawing a blank on Storm Darwin.

I'll never forget it. All the ridge tiles came off our roof over the course of 20 seconds, it sounded like the whole roof was giving way and was absolutely terrifying being so helpless inside.

I remember it being under reported/under forecast beforehand but it caused serious damage along coastal areas of the south west. It seemed we just had a few very severe gusts which did all the damage over the course of 15/20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It hasn't stopped hammering on the east Waterford coast since about 10am. 1-4 was the worst but it's been almost as strong and sustained since.

I have lost 2 trees and a good few large branches with the trampoline having a very near miss!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Darwin in 2014 - 280,000 esb customers left with electricity, 1 fatality, strongest gust - 178 km/h
    Ophelia - 360,000 esb customers without electricity (expected to rise up to 450,000), 3 fatalities (hopefully no more), strongest gust 191 km/h

Ophelia is fiercer than Darwin and it is not even over yet. These are the facts. If you're not happy with the red warning, I honestly don't know what else are you saving it for. If you think this storm is somehow less significant than Darwin, you are simply wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Cork City was fairly heavily pounded. I think my house is still OK. We had a quick look outside during the calm. There are large branches and leaves absolutely everywhere bit I think my roof stayed on and my preparations appear to have worked - bungee cords on anything I couldn't take in - bins all sealed up with them and so on.

However the wind's picked up and I'm in a suburb with a lot of very old and very high deciduous trees and other very fragile structures. So I think I'll be staying indoors.

We've no hot food, no electricity, it's not very warm in the house and I think I'll probably go to bed soon.

If you didn't get whacked with this, you're lucky but stop with the endless "it was all a fuss about nothing" nonsense. This was an extremely serious weather event and the warnings were very justified.

What's surprising me is the wind is still howling in Cork City many hours after the peak. I'm just concerned if I do venture out in the car a loose branch might still fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Fools on a local Facebook page asking if takeaways are doing deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭C__MC

Fairly died down now at this stage. It never really got going as a storm. Severe but noting as to what media predicted all weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Gotta be honest, I'm completely drawing a blank on Storm Darwin.

It knocked down an estimated 7 million trees in Ireland, Washed away roads and broke Lahinch
    Storm-Damage-Kilkee20140202-003-660x330.jpg
    w2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

The wind is crazy here in the south east it hasn't stopped ,I for one am glad there was a red alert put out def needed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Seems to have picked up pace again in Arklow after an initial calm down a little while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

There's no doubt that it's bad, just not as bad as I expected it to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Fools on a local Facebook page asking if takeaways are doing deliveries.

Maybe they're hungry. Sure the offo is open too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

C__MC wrote: »
    Fairly died down now at this stage. It never really got going as a storm. Severe but noting as to what media predicted all weekend

Why would you post that. Have you not read what others have posted. It was very very severe for some and is still on going for others.

Surely you are not so self obsessed to think that just because it wasn't too bad where you are that it wasn't bad else where. Especially considering it has been impossible to miss the coverage of it.

Advertisement