Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mrself

Outstanding forecast by Joanna!

Quite scary!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

• Registered Users Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Outstanding forecast by Joanna!

Was about to mention the same thing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

A lot of stupid questions in the room but Evelyn was outstanding as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Joanna said rainfall warnings expected later today https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/919535679704653824

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Waterford and Wexford upgraded to red warning status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

I'm confused. Is it the west or east getting the worst winds? Press update after conference saying south east yet met.ie still going with red as far north as Mayo. From talking to folk today no one is paying any heed. I hope that's not the sand attitude in Cork or wexford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Yes. A good and clear forecast. I hope people listen.

I hope the orange alert holds true for Dublin. A late change to red will be disastrous and dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

I totally agree! How can this be ?
    It's a bit odd that Status Red is given to Western Counties when they are now saying the coastal counties further East are to get the stronger winds.This could catch people out as they think "ah sure,the worst will be in the West".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

pad199207 wrote: »
    Well I must say an absolutely stunning forecast from Joanna there on the 1pm news.

Getting the message through very clear.

Kudos to her.

Yeah she was very clear on the dangerous situation. I wish a lot of my neighbours would start preparing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Good point on the weatherabout this not being a tail end of a hurricane. That's the sense I'm getting that people are assuming this will be the same.

SO many people use that “tail end of a Hurricane” phrase without actually knowing what they’re meaning. This is not the tail end of anything, this isn’t even what you could call the remnants of a hurricane. Ophelia is still, right now, a category 2 hurricane, and less than 24 hours until it reaches the Irish coast. It will almost certainly transition to extra-tropical, but ultimately that has more to do with it’s structure than the energy it will possess when it strikes Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I think Joanna's serious tone has really got the point across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

200motels wrote: »
    Waterford and Wexford upgraded to red warning status.

Met eireann app doesn't have wexford or Waterford under red

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Anyone know if one can see the RTE weather forecasts online anywhere? I don't have access to TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

It's a bit odd that Status Red is given to Western Counties when they are now saying the coastal counties further East are to get the stronger winds.This could catch people out as they think "ah sure,the worst will be in the West".

Obviously the warnings will be upgraded and downgraded when necessary.

This is the problem with people demanding warnings 3 days ago.

It's possible that places placed on red yesterday will now have not a lot of wind.

It's really only in the final 24 hours or so that actual accurate specific county by county warnings can be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dropzone

Met Eireann should really update their forecast graphics. Not much information and hard to read compared to graphics used in the UK, USA and online.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

floorpie wrote: »
    Why are they so scared to make firm statements in this press conference. The weather "forecaster" has verbatim said that she can't make predictions about what will happen, is that not her job? Absolutely bizarre.

Weather predictions tend to be based on experience and data from previous similar events. The last one was 1961. The message is fairly simple, we have a major weather event approaching but we cannot be certain about the detail of how it will behave.

And we are lucky. 1961 was found by an aircraft. Now we can at least track these most of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Missed the forecast as was watching the NECC feed, very crisp and lucid. I think I'll just go out and put another slab on the shed roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I think Joanna's serious tone has really got the point across.

Let's hope so.
    We can be sure to see the 6 news tomorrow laden with swimmers/ surfers and high board jumpers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

I can't understand why schools wouldn't be shut. It's a day off which will have little to no impact in the scheme of things when compared to the risks associated with having people travelling in a red warning area.

If anything it would make most sense to just shut all schools and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I believe the main message the media need to be told to convey is that this is a Countrywide event, not just restricted to the south and west. This systems goes up through the country with a very tight pressure gradient - all regions can expect damaging wind gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Joan Blackburn actually said at the press conference that it was unprecedented for them to issue a red warning 48 hours in advance. Previously always <24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Samaris wrote: »
    Anyone know if one can see the RTE weather forecasts online anywhere? I don't have access to TV.

You can watch live rte1 on rte player via the Pc or the phone apps. I'm sure they're there to watch later too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

dropzone wrote: »
    Met Eireann should really update their forecast graphics. Not much information and hard to read compared to graphics used in the UK, USA and online.

Same problem with a lot of the main weather apps people will use. For example the Weather app built into iOS is utterly useless, tomorrow it shows a raincloud icon and the max/min temps, and there are no warnings or alerts in it. I fear a lot of people will be using those kinds of apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I believe the main message the media need to be told to convey is that this is a Countrywide event, not just restricted to the south and west. This systems goes up through the country with a very tight pressure gradient - all regions can expect damaging wind gusts.

Yes they emphasised that and for people not to be out in the peak of the storm but if that's their advice surely they should be advising all schools to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

How is it going to dispatch from a catagory 3 hurricane to a tropical storm this close to landfall it sounds like met is trying to safe face after its earlier downplay, and in doing so it could cost lives as people don't seem to be taking this seriously !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Yes they emphasised that and for people not to be out in the peak of the storm but if that's their advice surely they should be advising all schools to close.

I've just sent my son's principal a text advising same. My kids are staying home in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

I'm guessing we'll have the usual few twits out on harbours and piers taking pics etc... Should be arrested and thrown in the slammer if caught. If they go in they put the emergency services lives at risk attempting to save them.

Advertisement