Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Just posted on the Wexford forum that the wind has really picked up again in Enniscorthy and slates coming off all over the place - dangerous to walk around outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭914

Still strong winds here in Waterford. Not as strong as earlier still hitting 80km now, we have been battered since about 10am this amd looks like it will continue till 21:00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭tritriagain

C__MC wrote: »
    Fairly died down now at this stage. It never really got going as a storm. Severe but noting as to what media predicted all weekend

Where are you. Cos in Wexford hasn't let up since 11.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

People need to remember, Darwin took out a lot of the dodgy stuff, that if it was still standing today, they'd be down. Darwin in essence, made Ophelia a little safer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

wtf now stronger in Limerick than it was 3 hours ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Strong Gusts in Limerick City seems to be coming from a westerly direction up the Shannon Estuary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Some morons out setting off fireworks just over the border beyond Dundalk. Been at it the last few days but thought they might give it a rest tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

farmchoice wrote: »
    Why would you post that. Have you not read what others have posted. It was very very severe for some and is still on going for others.

Surely you are not so self obsessed to think that just because it wasn't too bad where you are that it wasn't bad else where. Especially considering it has been impossible to miss the coverage of it.

wouldn't have said it better myself.. it's all about ME ME ME these days isn't it? my facebook wall is full of devastation, people will have to fork out hefty sums to rebuild their roofs, fencing, decking etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gusts are really hitting hard again now in Naas. These will finish off my fence I’d say ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Fairly died down now at this stage. It never really got going as a storm. Severe but noting as to what media predicted all weekend

The highest gust ever recorded in Ireland was today so is that enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭C__MC

farmchoice wrote: »
    Why would you post that. Have you not read what others have posted. It was very very severe for some and is still on going for others.

Surely you are not so self obsessed to think that just because it wasn't too bad where you are that it wasn't bad else where. Especially considering it has been impossible to miss the coverage of it.

Fully acknowledge the extent of damage in parts of the country. But other parts barely touched.
    some media outlets predicted Ireland would expierence the worst storm
    Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'll never forget it. All the ridge tiles came off our roof over the course of 20 seconds, it sounded like the whole roof was giving way and was absolutely terrifying being so helpless inside.

I remember it being under reported/under forecast beforehand but it caused serious damage along coastal areas of the south west. It seemed we just had a few very severe gusts which did all the damage over the course of 15/20 minutes.

Darwin did most of it's damage in Munster so a lot of people don't remember it or think it was not a significant storm.

This storm will be remembered by those who experienced the worst winds as a historic storm, and remembered by others as a damp squib. This is human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

I only have a 15 min drive to work but I imagine it's going to be fairly crap at 4:30 in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Fully acknowledge the extent of damage in parts of the country. But other parts barely touched.
    Ever.

Im one of those people, not a thing out of place, it was just a normal windy day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

We just saw 2 huge, red flare like flashes up the Dublin Mountains. We're in Beacon South Quarter.

It was either a flare or some electrical fire. Did anyone else see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Ever.

and it did.. kudos to the met man

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/hurricane-ophelia/whatever-turns-you-on-unrepentant-pensioner-who-swam-off-galway-coast-as-storm-ophelia-raged-36232783.html

People like this man need to know that not everything is about them . Its about the risk that others might have needed to risk themselves if anything had gone wrong .
    Selfish , thoughtless behavour

I agree as long as the emergency services have some obligation to try to save him if something goes wrong.

I'm not comfortable with the suggestion of a curfew. The freedom to live should be the freedom to live dangerously - as long as it is only your own life that you are putting in danger.

In the US, there is a system that says when a mandatory evacuation of an area is ordered due to a hurricane, you are free to stay if you wish - but the emergency services will not be there to help you if you're in trouble.

I'd like the same principle to apply here but I can see how it would be difficult to apply to this type of circumstance where areas haven't been evacuated.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Electricity back after 4 hours
    Had given up
    Big shout out to esb crews

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Ever.

Ever anywhere?
    Which media outlets were these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

My friend says local teens have set fire to a tree that has just blown down near her house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We just saw 2 huge, red flare like flashes up the Dublin Mountains. We're in Beacon South Quarter.

It was either a flare or some electrical fire. Did anyone else see it?

Could be transformers blowing.They give a he'll of a bang when they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,763 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

some media outlets predicted would expierence the worst storm
    Ever.

Because that is what it looked like as it rolled in.

Jesus, give it a rest people. The agencies and authorities were between a rock and a hard place here. They did a fine job. That you were not destroyed I am sure they regret. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

My friend says local teens have set fire to a tree that has just blown down near her house.

Should be shot on site like the feral rats they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/hurricane-ophelia/whatever-turns-you-on-unrepentant-pensioner-who-swam-off-galway-coast-as-storm-ophelia-raged-36232783.html

People like this man need to know that not everything is about them . Its about the risk that others might have needed to risk themselves if anything had gone wrong .
    Selfish , thoughtless behavour

I swim in Blackrock a lot but I am not one of the 365ers.
    I have to admit it, I admire the mad bastard!
    I hope when I am 72, I have that courage!

Yeah yeah I know...putting others at risk...I know....groupthink...unnecessary journeys...PC...safety first...crucify me etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

pad199207 wrote: »
    Gusts are really hitting hard again now in Naas. These will finish off my fence I’d say ffs

Same, really picked up here in Dublin. Some damaging gusts at the moment.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Definitely seems like wind is picking up again in Drumcondra.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

No red or green line luas services tomorrow due to damage to their control room, typical

I'm a bit concerned about driving to Dublin airport at 4am now...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Just gone over the million views, pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Back to very windy in Dublin 16, but gusts are not as strong as mid-afternoon.

Advertisement