Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

My friend says local teens have set fire to a tree that has just blown down near her house.

Ireland does seem to have it's fair proportion of moronic neanderthals.

What about the idiots who were swimming in Galway? What is wrong with these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 cristali

guil wrote: »
    I only have a 15 min drive to work but I imagine it's going to be fairly crap at 4:30 in the morning.

I'm the same... 4.30 am drive to work although navan wasn't hit as bad as other places

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jjdub

For those saying Dublin got none of this, there must be very localised weather about today. 5 floors up west of city we've been battered by sustained high winds for about 6 hours now, wind changed from S and calmed slightly now Westerly and have picked up again. There was lots of flying debris admittedly small. We're more protected with this direction but it's by no means calm.. 50 kts gust at airport for another few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Fools on a local Facebook page asking if takeaways are doing deliveries.

My neighbours in south dublin got a takeaway delivered earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Wind is omnipresent in Salthill, quiet spells but you can still hear it gusting in the distance, I reckon it will be a while yet before this peters out.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I would say the big difference with today's storm than previous ones is the fact that it brought very heavy winds to places that don't normally get it. I live in Donegal and so far it seems like nothing more than an average autumn storm.
    But from what I have seen on the news and from reports on here is that many counties had unprecedented winds today, and severe damage has been caused, it shows why a red warning had to be called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Fools on a local Facebook page asking if takeaways are doing deliveries.

They are, I just got one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Blanco100 wrote: »
    No red or green line luas services tomorrow due to damage to their control room, typical

Typical what? It's their fault that they suffered damage or you poor little diddums might be discommoded??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The west coast has been lucky that the wind direction was in its favour.

Crazy how that roof came off the school gym in Douglas. Is the school fairly old as structures shouldn't be coming apart like that. How would the wind get under it?

That roof flying through the air could have wiped out a busload of school kids.

You can understand the stand roof being blown off at Turner's Cross as it is open and the wind has nowhere to escape once in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Really heavy out there now in Citywest. Can hear the front door and letter box banging and moving in and out.

Brother ended up going to work in the hotel tonight da has to go down and collect him at 9 id imagine ma be cracking up if stays like this or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

I swim in Blackrock a lot but I am not one of the 365ers.
    I have to admit it, I admire the mad bastard!
    I hope when I am 72, I have that courage!

Yeah yeah I know...putting others at risk...I know....groupthink...unnecessary journeys...PC...safety first...crucify me etc etc

I hope when Im 72 I still have brain cells left not end up like him

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JPCN1

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Definitely seems like wind is picking up again in Drumcondra.

Yeah, I think Bertie is looking at a run for the Aras...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Kudos indeed to Met Eireann. Not only did they predict today's events with a high degree of accuracy, but I will go as far as to say that national red alert coupled with the message the forecasters hammered home not to travel and stay indoors have saved lives. Notwithstanding the fact that there were three dreadful tragedies, there is the real likelihood that this figure would've been higher only for the forecasts and the warnings issued. Met Eireann has taken stick when it got it wrong in the past, but today and in the lead up to it, I think they were outstanding. The Joaana Donnelly's, Gerry Murphy's, Evelyn Cusack's, and Gerald Fleming's of this world are household names for being weather forecasters, but in the last few days, these people and their colleagues in Met Eireann have proved to us what a truly invaluable bunch of professionals they are. I cannot commend them enough and indeed all of those first line responders who acted fantastically in the national interest throughout this tragic and difficult event

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Still gusting as it was at 3pm today in Wexford town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Ireland does seem to have it's fair proportion of moronic neanderthals.

What about the idiots who were swimming in Galway? What is wrong with these people?

Few twats swimming in Greystones first thing this morning also. These people are complete knuckle draggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The worst had passed here in Galway City by 4:30pm.
    Max gust recorded was 90 km/h and was enough to topple a couple of trees here about.
    Still gusting up to 48km/h at the moment from a westerly direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Yeah yeah I know...putting others at risk...I know....groupthink...unnecessary journeys...PC...safety first...crucify me etc etc

Yeah 72 he had good innings if killed.i'd imagine those putting their lives at risk to save the moron had alot more to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

My friend says local teens have set fire to a tree that has just blown down near her house.

Nearly the most disappointing thing about today is the totally idiotic carry-on of some of our fellow Irish people. Swimming in the sea and now lighting trees on fire. Good job lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Its back as mad as ever in Salthill again.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

gerryirl wrote: »
    I hope when Im 72 I still have brain cells left not end up like him

what...alive and well?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ChillyHilly

Could be transformers blowing.They give a he'll of a bang when they go.

Anymore info on this please?! Whereabouts was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

No red or green line luas services tomorrow due to damage to their control room, typical

Typical of?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,486 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Typical of what?

Their depot has sustained damage in an extraordinary weather event.

What is typical about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It seems like it was a mixed bag for the country all round.
    Just like these guys predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Still gusting as it was at 3pm today in Wexford town
    Same here, still some very powerful gusts out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Rain really picking up here just outside Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Wind has picked up again in the last hour in Tallaght, some really powerful guts moving through, probably the strongest we've had all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A once in 50 years storm is typical?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Well if it was my son or daughter that had to save him I would be rightly pissed off

Advertisement