Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

CianRyan wrote: »
    Wind has picked up again in the last hour in Tallaght, some really powerful guts moving through, probably the strongest we've had all day.

Whistling loudly down my chimney now in Tallaght

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Wind picking up a lot in the last hour in Clondalkin. We lost power and have roof damage. Some down trees but out of camera unfortunately. I'm streaming again for the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jbubs

I'm in Firhouse and definitely seems worse last half hour or so. I dunno if it's cause I've moved from downstairs to upstairs though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The true question is: did the bunting in the Waterford livestream on youtube make it???

Edit: I can still see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

CianRyan wrote: »
    Wind has picked up again in the last hour in Tallaght, some really powerful guts moving through, probably the strongest we've had all day.

Yeah I didn't think it would be as bad at this time of the evening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The west coast has been lucky that the wind direction was in its favour.

Crazy how that roof came off the school gym in Douglas. Is the school fairly old as structures shouldn't be coming apart like that. How would the wind get under it?

That roof flying through the air could have wiped out a busload of school kids.

You can understand the stand roof being blown off at Turner's Cross as it is open and the wind has nowhere to escape once in it.

Same happened to a school in Lucan in 2013 - roof looked the very same too. That school was only around 6 years old at the time. Thankfully it happened at night and during Christmas holidays.

I really do think the red alert and school closures saved lives today. Including in Dublin - a lot of trees down and debris around the city. Could have been lethal with the usual traffic and crowds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Well if it was my son or daughter that had to save him I would be rightly pissed off

Yeah we get that. And I fully agree. Rescuers shouldn't put themselves at harms reach for people like that.

Make a law that rescuers do not have to save people that willfully put themselves in danger.

Having said all that, I still admire the man. How did this country produce a Tom Crean?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Cienciano wrote: »
    Dairygold? Feck off with that sh, ye need real butter for a crisp sambo.

Only seeing this reply now :P. Too bad it's not mine lol, I just found it and thought it was hilarious. It's definitely not my ideal kit :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Power back in Maynooth, had been gone since 2.30 ish.

Edit: and just to add fair fecks to the lads out working in this. High voltage and high winds, well played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Blanco100 wrote: »
    No red or green line luas services tomorrow due to damage to their control room, typical

It's not typical. That's never happened before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Power back on in East Galway, was off since 2. No damage to house from what I can see, afew trees down in the fields but nothing else major. I feel happy + justified with my preparation work despite aload of ppl scoffing at me saying its only wind. Look at all them out swimming + gawking at the waves. If there were no warnings all ye complaing wud be looking for heads to roll if there were higher fatalities. Like iv been saying all week, its a hurricane! Surely extra caution and planning is justifable. Obviously this is a rare extrem event but the attitudes of sum ppl is shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Natibaby

Yep I am in Ballycullen and significant change in the wind, probably we aren't getting the same protection from the mountains as we did earlier when winds were more southerly

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Jbubs wrote: »
    I'm in Firhouse and definitely seems worse last half hour or so. I dunno if it's cause I've moved from downstairs to upstairs though

Seems a but louder alright, but again not sure if it sounds worse than it is because I have the curtains pulled and can't seem outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Trebor176 wrote: »

who collated it? looks like the southside got the worst of it

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

flaneur wrote: »
    It's not typical. That's never happened before.

Maybe the op just meant typical as in his or her bad luck trying to get in to work? V back bitey peeps here, wouldn’t like to strike up a chat in a pub with ye - “TYPICAL, wtf do u mean by that?”

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Bambi wrote: »
    who collated it? looks like the southside got the worst of it
    Dublin Fire Brigade
    Title
    #Ophelia 16 Oct 2017 DFB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Met reann
    A selection of some of our strongest gusts today (km/h):
    Fastnet Lightnouse 191
    Roches Point 156
    Kinsale Platform 141
    #Ophelia

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If it had not been for the weather warning, you'd have had plenty more yahoo's outside getting themselves killed. I do think it was silly to close down all the schools tomorrow though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

snowflaker wrote: »
    Met reann
    Fastnet Lightnouse 191
    Roches Point 156
    Kinsale Platform 141
    #Ophelia

Wow. Is there anyone on Fastnet anymore? That would be epic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Same happened to a school in Lucan in 2013 - roof looked the very same too. That school was only around 6 years old at the time. Thankfully it happened at night and during Christmas holidays.

I really do think the red alert and school closures saved lives today. Including in Dublin - a lot of trees down and debris around the city. Could have been lethal with the usual traffic and crowds.

It does make you wonder about the building standards in the country.
    There are already lots of issues with fire certification around various schools.

The gov pushed through some rapid school building programme in the last 10 years and it appears the building effort was a bit too rapid.

Very few houses have had their roofs ripped off and they are made of timber/slate. These school buildings have steel and cladding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

martinsvi wrote: »
    Darwin in 2014 - 280,000 esb customers left with electricity, 1 fatality, strongest gust - 178 km/h
    Ophelia - 360,000 esb customers without electricity (expected to rise up to 450,000), 3 fatalities (hopefully no more), strongest gust 191 km/h

Ophelia is fiercer than Darwin and it is not even over yet. These are the facts. If you're not happy with the red warning, I honestly don't know what else are you saving it for. If you think this storm is somehow less significant than Darwin, you are simply wrong.

Wonder are many like me? I was working in cork city the day of Darwin and didn't heed the red alert and warnings not to drive. Was scheduled to Finish work early anyway so decided to strike for home. Heard of road closures on the dual carriageway to Mallow so absolutely unbelievably stupidly decided to turn off main road and chance my arm across unknown mountainous roads. I thought I would be killed. Eventually got home safely. Ridge tiles gone off roof and trampoline gone . (Not many in response to my opening question are that stupid actually)
    So this time round I took heed of all warnings. We dismantled the trampoline; removed swings etc from swing set and tied the rest down best we could. And we hunkered down indoors for the day. Read something during the day that stick with me. Unlike a tornado or earthquake where you know you're in the thick of it with a hurricane it's difficult to fully comprehend it's severity when you're safely indoors - doubly true I guess in Ireland with so many brick houses
    I congratulate Met Eireann in doing such a fine job getting the message across. The 3 deaths I've heard of are tragically resonating with me tonight as I heard a L.A. figure on local radio this morning and he warned and deaths were likely to be drivers caught out in it and also he highlighted the dangers of trying to clear fallen trees in case of other trees falling nearby which tragically seems to be the case. Rip to those folks and condolences to their loved ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

snowflaker wrote: »
    Met reann
    Fastnet Lightnouse 191
    Roches Point 156
    Kinsale Platform 141
    #Ophelia

Would be amazing to see video footage from Fastnet today. That's crazy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It’s become very blustery again in Rush, North Dublin again since dusk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Anyone know when electricity in Cork city is gonna be restored?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Casey78 wrote: »
    Yer wan Collette thats been on TV3 news all day has some body on her. Think I'm in love....

as for the conor mcgregor wannabe weather guy...has he a clue what he's on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

what...alive and well?
    too right and with brain cells still working

• Registered Users Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭briany

It’s become very blustery again in Rush, North Dublin again since dusk

Always feels like it gets windier after dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I do think it was silly to close down all the schools tomorrow though.

Not this again?!

Nobody has been to a lot of schools since Friday

They need time to estimate any damages

Unless of course you’re willing to travel, in what’s still a red warning, in the dark, to see what state it’s in and then inform parents at 9/10/11pm what the story is

Or, you can just do what the government did and close them all, giving everyone time and space for any cleanup operations

Plus, there are infinite travel routes to/from schools and any number of those could be blocked by trees/debris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Shadylou wrote: »
    Definitely a storm in a teacup.....ive seen a few branches off trees but nothing worth keeping the kids off school for and losing a days wages
    Wind picking up a lot in the last hour in Clondalkin. We lost power and have roof damage. Some down trees but out of camera unfortunately. I'm streaming again for the evening

Where in Clondalkin is that webcam from?

Advertisement