Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Agree, am in Ballycullen also and gusts really picked up in frequency and intensity in the last hour....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

noble00 wrote: »
    The wind is crazy here in the south east it hasn't stopped ,I for one am glad there was a red alert put out def needed

Yea, picked up again here in Kilkenny the past few hours unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Wonder are many like me? I was working in cork city the day of Darwin and didn't heed the red alert and warnings not to drive. Was scheduled to Finish work early anyway so decided to strike for home. Heard of road closures on the dual carriageway to Mallow so absolutely unbelievably stupidly decided to turn off main road and chance my arm across unknown mountainous roads. I thought I would be killed. Eventually got home safely. Ridge tiles gone off roof and trampoline gone . (Not many in response to my opening question are that stupid actually)
    So this time round I took heed of all warnings. We dismantled the trampoline; removed swings etc from swing set and tied the rest down best we could. And we hunkered down indoors for the day. Read something during the day that stick with me. Unlike a tornado or earthquake where you know you're in the thick of it with a hurricane it's difficult to fully comprehend it's severity when you're safely indoors - doubly true I guess in Ireland with so many brick houses
    I congratulate Met Eireann in doing such a fine job getting the message across. The 3 deaths I've heard of are tragically resonating with me tonight as I heard a L.A. figure on local radio this morning and he warned and deaths were likely to be drivers caught out in it and also he highlighted the dangers of trying to clear fallen trees in case of other trees falling nearby which tragically seems to be the case. Rip to those folks and condolences to their loved ones

I did a lot of sailing on high sea when I was a bit younger and I witnessed a few gruesome storms. I do take official weather warnings very seriously, now that I have kids even more so. Better safe than sorry.
    I can't get my head around the attitude of "be grand" really when this is being treated as a national emergency.
    People that didn't get the full battering should be thankful they got out of it without any troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

My friend says local teens have set fire to a tree that has just blown down near her house.
    in Swords?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

I should actu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Ginny wrote: »
    in Swords?

Neilstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

I should actu

Get a tissue first

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It grinds people's gears around my way seeing a lot of council workers out tonight starting the clear up while others are simply using it as an excuse for overtime and won't even get out of their vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Interesting snapshot of the max winds via wungerground. No wonder a lot of the dubs feel like it was an non event, we certainly felt it in Waterford!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Windiest its been all day here in Westport. We really lucked out today, hopefully that wont change now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Still howling in Terenure, south Dublin but not as bad as it was around 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very strong gusts here in Castlebar now, strongest they have been all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A friend of mines down in Skibbereen in Cork lost her caravan this afternoon, blown away from the side of her house, mad stuff and this photo of Turners Cross Stadium in Cork.

22491589_1856234978024410_2625105976225146745_n.jpg?oh=ac0797d7801038cc55993a88ee2ac52a&oe=5A860C4D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

A friend of mines down in Skibbereen in Cork lost her caravan this afternoon, blown away from the side of her house, mad stuff and this photo of Turners Cross Stadium in Cork.

22491589_1856234978024410_2625105976225146745_n.jpg?oh=ac0797d7801038cc55993a88ee2ac52a&oe=5A860C4D

Its open for the match tomorrow, that stand will be cleared and not open to public but match will go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Fairly windy in south Dublin now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Wow the earth nullschool is showing two or three other storms or hurricanes now over the sea to the left, looks like it gonna get a bit wild out there.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-14.05,52.24,1362/loc=-9.667,54.119

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Still wild in limerick city. A few really big gusts in the last few minutes. It's been blowing here since 9am. It calmed down a bit around 5 but it's been blown a gale from 6 on. Still some damaging gusts. Better off staying in for the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Limerick city. Much worse draft down the chimney now than any stage during daylight hours. Must be the current Westerly wind direction funneling into the Shannon estuary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Also in Limerick city and didn't think it would get this bad again! It had calmed down so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Wind has picked up again in the last 20 minutes in Castlebar, its actually stronger than this afternoon and that's after having a lull of about an hour and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Zico !

Cork City windy as fcuk again after a lull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

very stormy again in west limerick. as bad as it was earlier this morning...hope it dies down soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Gavlor wrote: »
    Interesting snapshot of the max winds via wungerground. No wonder a lot of the dubs feel like it was an non event, we certainly felt it in Waterford!

Probably a better indicator from M E

https://twitter.com/meteireann/status/920005284147466240

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Zico !

Anyone see the moron going for a swim on tv3 news in Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Quiet enough in North Dublin now, I'd say we're done. Lock her up boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Hope to god electricity is back here in Passage, Cork tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I should actu

I think Dank Janniels has been blown away :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

Windier the past hour in D7 than it has been all day.

Advertisement