Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Where will this storm/post hurricane go now? Will it just disperse somewhere or what?

Headed North East over Scotland and dissipate over Norway/Sweden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Just back on now in east Galway. Fair play to ESB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

With that other thread regarding a potential 'hurricane' over the weekend, who knows!

Is there another thread?! That looks like windy, normal windy, weather Thursday or Friday to me. The worst seems to be to the south on the GFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Jaysus yer man Pascal Sheehy has a dreadful voice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Very windy in Cork again, thought the storm had passed us :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

Jaysus yer man Pascal Sheehy has a dreadful voice!!

Plastic sheeting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

newbee22 wrote: »
    Very windy in Cork again, thought the storm had passed us :eek:

Nope, you're getting the left hook now

Electric came back in North Galway lasted 2 minutes and off again! Did see some green purple flashes in the distance in the sky before it went. Hope the ESB lads are ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

A disgrace that on RTE news they show men using chain saws with absolutely no protective gear.

Really need a licencing system with training requirements, no one without proper training would consider using a chainsaw with jeans and a jumper

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Electric came back in North Galway lasted 2 minutes and off again! Did see some green purple flashes in the distance in the sky before it went. Hope the ESB lads are ok.

Pringles just another transformer popping after getting a load back on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Winds kicking up noticeably in Laois again the last 20 minutes or so...?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

The odd gust of wind in the Liberties, Dublin. All calm otherwise. Expect some rain when I wake up tomorrow.

Didn't experience anything too bad in Mayo, very very little damage. Not much different to the regular weather we'd have. Would of had much worse a good few times in the past year.

The lack of westerly wind helped us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Very sorry to hear about those that died but I genuinely believe the number is so low purely because the whole country shut down.
    If everyone had done their normal Monday commute the result would have been catastrophic.
    Was talking to a colleague who went to work today just now and he thinks a big deal was made of nothing. Told me he even went for a stroll on his lunch break this afternoon, while the height of the storm was hitting cork.
    Definitely gonna get s slagging from my colleagues for not going in today tomorrow, and possibly a bollocking from management for not making the effort but I don't care. It's criminal that they didn't close. Put me in a very awkward position.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I'm in Kildare atm and the power keeps flickering and then dieing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A disgrace that news on RTE they show men using chain saws with absolutely no protective gear.

Really need a licencing system with training requirements, no one without proper training would consider using a chainsaw with jeans and a jumper

Local farmers clearing roads,if they wait for "trained" crews those roads would be blocked all week due to the workload,been going all over Ireland today. Unfortunately one lost his life doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

Just seen a bit on the news saying it was 1961 the last time we were hit this hard. I think storm Darwin was similar to today. I don't remember such warnings about Darwin though.

I remember Darwin as been worse but I did more driving that day and it was scary. I seen something about 5 deaths during that storm. I don't remember as much warnings either but it was a bad winter for storms maybe we were used to them by that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jaysus, would they ever let poor Joanna home to bed :eek:

Is there another storm coming in next weekend???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Still going very strong here (south-east coast). Genuinely madness at this stage.

No idea how certain structures are still standing after being battered for over 7 hours, but if it doesn't start to dissipate soon they won't be here when I wake up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Local farmers clearing roads,if they wait for "trained" crews those roads would be blocked all week due to the workload,been going all over Ireland today. Unfortunately one lost his life doing it.

Understandable but my point was that these "civilians" need to be trained on safe use of an extremely dangerous tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Things have picked up slightly here again, alot of trees down, any loose branches will be finished of by these westerly gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,477 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I remember Darwin as been worse .

Debbie 1961 - 181km/h
    Darwin 2014 - 159km/h
    Ophelia 2017 - 191km/h

Highest wind speed ever measured in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Can't believe Joanna Donnelly to be interviewed on Claire Byrne at 10:35 on rte1 having just done 9 weather and been on since 7am this morning on morning Ireland! She also did the weather all weekend! Give the poor girl a break.

Saying that she did a brilliant job all weekend. Made it feel personal and laymans, something Gerry Murphy struggles with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Is there another storm coming in next weekend???

Apparently so.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

Understandable but my point was that these "civilians" need to be trained on safe use of an extremely dangerous tool.

Agree with this. The actions of local farmers is always helpful, especially when bringing their machinery out to help clear roads. But free training courses on the use of cutting equipment would be beneficial. These farmers won't stop what they do - and fair play to them. But the Local Authorities / Dept Agri could help out by providing general training on the use of chainsaws etc. Nothing mandatory, but highly advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mrself

unkel wrote: »
    Darwin 1961 - 181km/h
    Ophelia 2017 - 191km/h

Highest wind speed ever measured in Ireland

Think you mean Debbie 1961

• Registered Users Posts: 33,985 ✭✭✭✭listermint

PPE doesn't cost large money. And is a must with a. Chainsaw.

I don't like using them but they are a fantastic tool that needs to be respected at all times. That includes PPE when handling.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Apparently so.

Shoite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/weather-special-30003671/10790297/

Looks like they uploaded a video onto the player of Joanna making a lot of mistakes! Overall she has been great with the forcast though.

Advertisement