Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Stronger gusts in Dublin 9 now then earlier in the day. I was going to bring the dog for a quick walk around the block because it seemed to have calmed down but I think we'll stay put.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Kilnababe

unkel wrote: »
    Darwin 1961 - 181km/h
    Ophelia 2017 - 191km/h

Highest wind speed ever measured in Ireland

Darwin 2014 was definitely worse in North Clare. It wasn't as sustained but winds were way more violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Darwin 1961 - 181km/h
    Ophelia 2017 - 191km/h

Exactly. To add to that fact,

"The ESB said it was the biggest and most destructive storm it ever had to deal with and it would require a huge effort to restore power to all customers."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Still sounds very windy in D14.. I don't think there's a huge difference between the worst of the storm earlier and now. I'm thinking my road must be fairly sheltered though, next door's flimsy "to let" sign is still going strong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

rebel456 wrote: »
    Agree with this. The actions of local farmers is always helpful, especially when bringing their machinery out to help clear roads. But free training courses on the use of cutting equipment would be beneficial. These farmers won't stop what they do - and fair play to them. But the Local Authorities / Dept Agri could help out by providing general training on the use of chainsaws etc. Nothing mandatory, but highly advisable.

Remember my own father nicking his knee and was very lucky as was just wearing jeans, after that he did the course and wears all the gear now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear about those that died but I genuinely believe the number is so low purely because the whole country shut down.
    If everyone had done their normal Monday commute the result would have been catastrophic.
    Was talking to a colleague who went to work today just now and he thinks a big deal was made of nothing. Told me he even went for a stroll on his lunch break this afternoon, while the height of the storm was hitting cork.
    Definitely gonna get s slagging from my colleagues for not going in today tomorrow, and possibly a bollocking from management for not making the effort but I don't care. It's criminal that they didn't close. Put me in a very awkward position.

Was this in cork? Cork was the worst affected place in the country! Roofs etc were flying allover the place. What if a work colleague had been hit by some of this? I wouldn't make any apologies about putting your personal safety first.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Understandable but my point was that these "civilians" need to be trained on safe use of an extremely dangerous tool.

I see your point but these lads have been using them since long before any Health+Safety was even a thought and training was something you did on a Tuesday night for GAA. They wouldn't put a second thought into throwing the saw into the loader of a tractor and clearing their road.
    I use one a lot and never did a course and I've done more safety courses than I'd care to remember,treat them with respect and you can't go too far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Mrself wrote: »
    Think you mean Debbie 1961

Indeed, thanks!

Corrected:

Debbie 1961 - 181km/h
    Darwin 2014 - 159km/h
    Ophelia 2017 - 191km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Winds kicking up noticeably in Laois again the last 20 minutes or so...?

In South Tipp here and last 20 -30 mins wind has really picked up. Direction of the wind has changed as well. Still reports of trees coming down in the locality. Don't venture outside folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

rebel456 wrote:
    Agree with this. The actions of local farmers is always helpful, especially when bringing their machinery out to help clear roads. But free training courses on the use of cutting equipment would be beneficial. These farmers won't stop what they do - and fair play to them. But the Local Authorities / Dept Agri could help out by providing general training on the use of chainsaws etc. Nothing mandatory, but highly advisable.

Most local authority staff will not cut up trees 1 above waist height and 2 until they are pushed to side of toad and storm has passed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/weather-special-30003671/10790297/

Looks like they uploaded a video onto the player of Joanna making a lot of mistakes! Overall she has been great with the forcast though.

That was funny. She’s pretty damn good though and doesn’t appear to have slept at all she been on so many forecasts

ongarboy wrote: »
    Can't believe Joanna Donnelly to be interviewed on Claire Byrne at 10:35 on rte1 having just done 9 weather and been on since 7am this morning on morning Ireland! She also did the weather all weekend! Give the poor girl a break.

Saying that she did a brilliant job all weekend. Made it feel personal and laymans, something Gerry Murphy struggles with.

I love her, she has a really quirky presenting style. Gives you the facts without the jargon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Went out to unlock the bins to put them out in D7.
    I came back in and they are still locked to the fence.
    Very windy out there tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Indeed, thanks!

Corrected:

Debbie 1961 - 181km/h
    Darwin 2014 - 159km/h
    Ophelia 2017 - 191km/h

Ophelia's highest gust (191km) came from Fastnet. Was there a wind recorder on Fastnet in 1961 for Debbie?

Debbie was a true hurricane.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Cannon_fodder

ongarboy wrote: »
    Can't believe Joanna Donnelly to be interviewed on Claire Byrne at 10:35 on rte1 having just done 9 weather and been on since 7am this morning on morning Ireland! She also did the weather all weekend! Give the poor girl a break.

Saying that she did a brilliant job all weekend. Made it feel personal and laymans, something Gerry Murphy struggles with.

Leave Gerry alone, thorough professional, someone Joanna could learn a few things from. Both he and Evelynn done stirling jobs under live TV Q&A. Joanna simply cannot do that

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear about those that died but I genuinely believe the number is so low purely because the whole country shut down.
    If everyone had done their normal Monday commute the result would have been catastrophic.
    Was talking to a colleague who went to work today just now and he thinks a big deal was made of nothing. Told me he even went for a stroll on his lunch break this afternoon, while the height of the storm was hitting cork.
    Definitely gonna get s slagging from my colleagues for not going in today tomorrow, and possibly a bollocking from management for not making the effort but I don't care. It's criminal that they didn't close. Put me in a very awkward position.

They sound very smug- "i went for a stroll", fcuk off with yourself.
    Very easy to be smug after the fact.
    You did the right thing. We are people first, and employees second. You listened to your gut so don't feel bad for that. Your colleague was lucky he wasn't killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

In South Tipp here and last 20 -30 mins wind has really picked up. Direction of the wind has changed as well. Still reports of trees coming down in the locality. Don't venture outside folks.

Central mayo is getting it bad now . As bad as it was if not worse than at 5 pm .

anna080 wrote: »
    They sound very smug- "i went for a walk", fcuk off with yourself.
    Very easy to be smug after the fact.
    You did the right thing. We are people first, and employees second. You listened to your gut so don't feel bad for that. Your colleague was lucky he wasn't killed.

If a tree branch had smacked across him the head I doubt he'd talking such rubbish, let alone be alive. That's how serious today was, and this in Cork I assume which bore the brunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Cannon_fodder

Think the emergency planning task force did sterling work, definitely minimised the loss of property and indeed life by proper planning and calling on people, employees and employers to take heed. They should be commended and carry out a review for improving the planning for our next big event whenever that is.

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/weather-special-30003671/10790297/

Looks like they uploaded a video onto the player of Joanna making a lot of mistakes! Overall she has been great with the forcast though.
    Weird! Surely that wasn't intentional?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I think the whole Met Eireann team - Joanna, Gerry, Evelyn et al. are all stars tbh. Different styles and personalities are good, but all of them come across as genuine and down to earth, but also extremely well informed and professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭newirishman

In D5 / Raheny. Still rather blustery. Quite surprised (and very happy!) that the trees in the backgarden are still ok. No branches or anything major coming off them yet.
    Neighbour's trampoline is a bit all over the place, but at least not taking off...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Karsini wrote: »
    Weird! Surely that wasn't intentional?

I'd say they forgot to chop the first half of it with the outtakes before uploading it. Love the "don't wax lyrical, just get on with it" bit :D Have said that to myself many a time when rehearsing presentations!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Quite blustery now in north Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Winds in Dublin picking up for certain. Can actually feel the apartment moving/shaking a little

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not this again?!

Nobody has been to a lot of schools since Friday

They need time to estimate any damages

Who will inspect for damages tomorrow?
    Will it be the principal checking that the windows haven't been broken and there aren't leaks?
    Or will it be a structural engineer to confirm that the building is safe to re-enter?
    Since it was the Dept's call, will the Dept organise this inspection or does each school's board of management have to organise it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

All due to change in wind direction no doubt but I'm actually hearing gusts louder now than at any point during the day in D11 right now. And I haven't' moved from the couch all day ;-)

I feel it was definitely the right decision to go red all over country. I know it's inconvenient at best and i know it's a pain but a good few people got an unexpected rest with being advised to stay indoors, and also a bit of a break from the old routine as well as being kept safe from harm. Based on the information available at the time it was forecast to be very strong with no real idea of exactly where the gusts would be the worst, and no idea how little or how much damage would be done by said gusts.

I can't imagine the decision was taken lightly and I don't think anyone with half a brain will ignore the next red alert - which hopefully won't be invoked for a good few years to come. Lives were most definitely saved...which is the whole point of the red alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I think the whole Met Eireann team - Joanna, Gerry, Evelyn et al. are all stars tbh. Different styles and personalities are good, but all of them come across as genuine and down to earth, but also extremely well informed and professional.

Gerry was super on Liveline today while Joanna was great too. I have been really impressed with Met Eireann this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

josip wrote: »
    Who will inspect for damages tomorrow?
    Will it be the principal checking that the windows haven't been broken and there aren't leaks?
    Or will it be a structural engineer to confirm that the building is safe to re-enter?
    Since it was the Dept's call, will the Dept organise this inspection or does each school's board of management have to organise it?

At a guess, first checks will be by the caretaker/handyman and be reported upwards if there's problems.

Advertisement