Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Wind has picked up again here in D20

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Karsini wrote: »
    Weird! Surely that wasn't intentional?

Highly doubt it was, would be very unfair if it was intentional. I am sure they will catch wind of it and take it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Just heard a plane flying overhead. Must mean both power and flights are running again in Cork Airport. Wind has definitely died down, albeit one or two strong gusts but other then that just general wind

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

josip wrote: »
    Who will inspect for damages tomorrow?
    Will it be the principal checking that the windows haven't been broken and there aren't leaks?
    Or will it be a structural engineer to confirm that the building is safe to re-enter?
    Since it was the Dept's call, will the Dept organise this inspection or does each school's board of management have to organise it?

They’ve decided maybe in light of roofs coming off etc to play it safe and make sure schools are ok. Talk of structural engineers reports etc is just getting pedantic, although I’m sure they will call in the professionals if there is damage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Seems windier in Dublin city centre now than it has all day ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Wind after increasing dramatically in south kildare in last 30 minutes, strong enough gusts again

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

All of you reporting strong winds in Dublin, you are not wrong. Casement Aerodrome (west Dublin) is reporting 49kts winds (second highest in the country), which is 91km/h or windforce 10

Linky

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Think the emergency planning task force did sterling work, definitely minimised the loss of property and indeed life by proper planning and calling on people, employees and employers to take heed. They should be commended and carry out a review for improving the planning for our next big event whenever that is.
    +1

My local conditions(Dublin, Terenure) at the mo seem more blustery than earlier. At the expected hour around 2-3PM there was the odd gust, but now it seems lesser in intensity, but more sustained? To be fair I live in a wind sheltered area, so maybe it's a change in wind direction going on? I still have electricity anyway. I lost that for about two hours earlier, but fair play they got it back. Especially fair play on a day like today where the ESB guys and gals must have been dead on their feet countrywide by midday.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Massive change in wind and gusts in D10. Significantly stronger than it has been all day. May just be down to the different direction it is travelling from. Very noisy chimney. Quiet everywhere else. Only have new storm windows and doors put in, so they're paying off!

• Advertisement

Very strong gusts now, easily the strongest of the storm. Feels like a few more trees set to go. Dublin North.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I think the whole Met Eireann team - Joanna, Gerry, Evelyn et al. are all stars tbh. Different styles and personalities are good, but all of them come across as genuine and down to earth, but also extremely well informed and professional.

Joanna,Gerry and Evelyn are great,no ridiculous jargon like Siobhan Ryan,just normal English that everyone understands,but delivered in a very professional,informative and knowledgeable way.

Violent gusting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Huge wind now down here in Dublin 3 / ballybough area.
    Much worse than any we had today

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

really bad here now too, worse than it's been all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ya see Dublin, we didn't forget you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Very windy here Dublin 5 power came back 10pm out since 3pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

Blustery here in Louth at the moment but been fairly ok where I am all day. I'm pretty sheltered though, but sounds like the strong wind is about 100 foot in the air rather than what we get usually blowing through the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Live top floor apartment of a single tower, can feel the wind at the roof too as well as the actual apartment vibrating

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Do you think there'll be newspapers in the morning?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

nagdefy wrote: »
    Very true.

At least power outages, financial costs etc can in time be recovered, at great loss to individuals and businesses but the real cost of a severe weather event is loss of life. They can't be replaced. And to limit it to as low a figure as possible is the real achievement and aim of forecasters.

Sad thing is that the lost lives could have been prevented very easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Likewise here in Malahide, now is the strongest it's been all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Dublin bay buoy and dublin airport both showing half the strength of wind that was around at 3-4pm.

Is it really windier or are peoples perceptions completely different at night?

VinLieger wrote: »
    Dublin bay buoy and dublin airport both showing half the strength of wind that was around at 3-4pm.

No it's definitely windier than any stage today!

When the wind was south Dublin was sheltered somewhat of course.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I think it could be all the places that weren't too bad earlier, are getting more of a wallop now, because the wind has changed direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I'd say that peoples perceptions are different based on wind direction. If it's been quiet all day in one direction and then it shifts you'll probably just hear it in a different way based on the position you're facing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Was the airport gusting 80 knots today? Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Think the darkness affects people’s perceptions. Gusty ok in South Tipp now but nothing like early afternoon and just a normal windy night now. My own perception was that Darwin was shorter and more violent today was more prolonged though. For what it’s worth I think the authorities made the right call too. Some hysterical nonsense around but overall this thread was excellent so fair play.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

South East Meath (Ashbourne) gone very gusty again over the last while, I suspect that the change is down to the shadow of the Wicklow Hills, as the wind direction was veering from South to West, there was a time when the Hills were causing a wind shadow over this area, which is again not in place now that the Westerly has become established. I am very happy that all of us were not having to travel anywhere today, it's very clear that there were some very dangerous situations out on the roads today. Fortunately, it's nearly over, for this one, though there's no knowing when we might get a re run.

In terms of the response to the storm, given this was first time in nearly 60 years that there's been a storm this big, my main thoughts would be that when the entire country went Red on Sunday evening, which was clearly a hard call (but the right one in my view) the decisions about Public transport should have been made much sooner, so that people were aware of what was being planned, as the way that it was done this time round was not user friendly.

The comments by the politicians today about "Force Majeure" were too little too late. If they really didn't want people to travel today, then that's what they should have said, and made the things transparently clear, the overriding priority should have been the safety of people, and leaving travel decisions related to work as vague as it was left was in many respects a dereliction of duty from the leaders of the country, who are there to lead and provide direction when issues of national significance arise, and today was for sure a national event that needed clear unambiguous leadership.

In the end, the vast majority of people were not on the move, but it wasn't handled with the clarity that it deserved, it's not as if today was a regular event, (which is probably why it was a problem), today was the sort of 1 in 100 year event that people like the insurance industry love quoting.

The schools being closed tomorrow is totally appropriate. It would have been wrong to expect a member of staff to travel to the school in the dark this evening to see if it was safe to re open tomorrow, there was/is no way to ensure that the roads around the school are clear and safe to travel, and there is a very real chance that a significant number of schools may not have power tomorrow, given the number of ESB faults that will still be open tomorrow.

What has been an eye opener this storm had been the VentusSky web site, the presentation of the information on that site is outstanding, as long as the underlying model is good, and it seems to have been very accurate today with what's been reported.

Congratulations too go to the forum moderators, I've dealt with threads that have gone viral, and this event had two threads that have had massive numbers of posts and viewers, which caused all manner of issues for the whole site, and the way the moderators dealt with it made the threads very much better than they otherwise would have been.

The last thanks need to go to the regulars posters, who steered things in the right direction, and of course to MT Cranium, who gave us the initial heads up warnings with a huge lead in time, which allowed for a massive discussion before it even arrived here, I'd like to think that the presence of the thread, and the discussions will have helped to save lives by preparing people for what was coming.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Pwindedd wrote: »
    I'd say that peoples perceptions are different based on wind direction. If it's been quiet all day in one direction and then it shifts you'll probably just hear it in a different way based on the position you're facing.

nope, definitely stronger now. The trees are swaying faster and harder.

Advertisement