Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

VinLieger wrote: »
    Very possible but the overall wind is not anything as strong as it was is the point im trying to make

Yes and I'm giving a local, man on the ground report from a garden in Malahide village.

This is like temperature readings; thermometers will show a temperature and this will be what we're told the temperature is but then go outside and wind chill brings it down up to ten degrees sometimes. How it feels and looks does not always correlate to how a machine reads it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Feels like wind really picking up now in Galway...saying that I'm upstairs in room that feels the brunt of the tiniest of gusts so maybe I'm overreacting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

yop wrote: »
    The wind now here outside Castlebar is worse than at any point in the last 24 hours
    Same here in north kildare. Doubt we're over the worst yet here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    It would be like the knapsack sprayer cert. 150 euro and 2 days "training" for a FETAC level 5 cert, and then be told your "qualification" only lasts 3 years. Any other FETAC award you have permanently.
    Turn into a "jobs for the boys" scheme. You would literally be better watching some of the excellent tutorials on YouTube.
    And most importantly, buy (and use)good quality chainsaw trousers or chaps.

3 years? I registered as a pesticide user with the DOA as I have the PA1,2&6 certs from the UK and got told its for life.

The chainsaw cert is the same.

Saying that it is illegal in the UK to use a chainsaw in a public place without certification and public liability insurance.

I agree about the trousers. Would not go near a chainsaw without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

VinLieger wrote: »
    Very possible but the overall wind is not anything as strong as it was is the point im trying to make

On the north side of Dublin the wind is far stronger right now than it was at any stage today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

JuanJose wrote: »
    Seems to have picked up. Some aircraft in the hold at Dublin airport seeing if things will ease down. One diverting to Shannon. Plus a couple of new outages in the Dublin area.

In Grand Canal Dock here and it's definitely picked up again. I've a loose window and it popped out on me already once today. I'll actually loose my life if it does that while asleep.

Anyone give an estimate on when it might die down again?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Plenty of interest from outside the country.

https://twitter.com/weerenradar/status/920029404553760769

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Definite pick up in wind in Dublin. Wonder is it more noticeable due to a change in direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

It got scary here in Galway between 3 and 4pm but after that it wasn't too bad.The centre of the storm is supposed to have long past this direction but there's still a pretty nasty wind here.As if this system is trying to tell us that it's not over yet!

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    It would be like the knapsack sprayer cert. 150 euro and 2 days "training" for a FETAC level 5 cert, and then be told your "qualification" only lasts 3 years. Any other FETAC award you have permanently.
    Turn into a "jobs for the boys" scheme. You would literally be better watching some of the excellent tutorials on YouTube.
    And most importantly, buy (and use)good quality chainsaw trousers or chaps.

Or the training could save someone's life. Each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Definitely a fair bit of life left in this storm. Windy as hell in Drumcondra.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Is anyone else clicking on the technical thread but being brought here? Thought I was pressing the wrong link but not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Some pretty strong gusts of wind again in Galway thought it was over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Zerbini Blewitt

We lost power here in E Cork at 8am.

We only had two extreme (pure crazy) gusts all day - one at 8.04 am & one at 10.52am (both lasted around half a minute). Electricity wise, I thought that was that for 72 hours minimum.

But amazingly out of the 385,000 properties that lost power we got it back at 9.30pm.

We just happened to be on a priority line I suppose but I can’t praise the ESB repair guys enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

seems to be worse here in D16 than at any point today.
    Wasn't this supposed to die down by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

:confused:h
    prinzeugen wrote: »
    3 years? I registered as a pesticide user with the DOA as I have the PA1,2&6 certs from the UK and got told its for life.

The chainsaw cert is the same.

Saying that it is illegal in the UK to use a chainsaw in a public place without certification and public liability insurance.

I agree about the trousers. Would not go near a chainsaw without them.

You probably got the City and Guilds qualification, as can be attained in the UK and NI.
    It is for life.
    Not so the qualification that the Dept Ag and the Farm Relief Services are peddling here. FETAC 5 NO731

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sure by the time this is gone the next one will be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Wind whipping up again in D20

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

unkel wrote: »
    Debbie 1961 - 181km/h
    Darwin 2014 - 159km/h
    Ophelia 2017 - 191km/h

Highest wind speed ever measured in Ireland

There's loads of way of measuring things and use different stats to reinforce a point or try disprove someone's point of view.

But then there's there is the very nice Irish way of letting someone express an opinion based on their personal experience or how ever they decide on that opinion. In my personal opinion, Darwin seemed to be worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Yr.no has 7mm and 10mm predicted to fall for Thursday afternoon and Saturday morning respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

There's loads of way of measuring things and use different stats to reinforce a point or try disprove someone's point of view.

But then there's there is the very nice Irish way of letting someone express an opinion based on their personal experience or how ever they decide on that opinion. In my personal opinion, Darwin seemed to be worse.

But it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

rebel456 wrote: »
    Or the training could save someone's life. Each to their own.

It could, if it were competently administered.
    Have you ever done the Safe Pass course? Joke of a system.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

In Louth, tragic loss of life earlier in ravensdale. We are about 7 miles away and if no-one told you about the storm you wouldnt know. This just shows how this type of storm moves differently than what we usually get and how appropriate the red alert was and is. I hope that's the end of it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It might have been for you, the direction the wind comes from and whether its combined with rain can effect both the actual and perception of severity. The Christmas storm of 1996 damaged my house, (this one hasn't as far as I can tell!). So which was worse for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

RobAMerc wrote: »
    seems to be worse here in D16 than at any point today.
    Wasn't this supposed to die down by now?

I'm no expert but it could be that it's coming in a different direction than earlier and we are getting less cover from the mountains behind us.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

milhous wrote: »
    In Louth, tragic loss of life earlier in ravensdale. We are about 7 miles away and if no-one told you about the storm you wouldnt know. This just shows how this type of storm moves differently than what we usually get and how appropriate the red alert was and is. I hope that's the end of it?!
    I was in the new Tesco in Dundalk at around two, 45 minutes before that tragedy occurred. The roof sounded like it was about to lift off, they were shutting up shop at that point. It’s been quiet enough since but it’s picked up since 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bsal

Dublin airport 230@39G50kt as strong or stronger than earlier today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

A stiff breeze at worst in dublin

• Administrators Posts: 53,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Way worse in Dublin 18 than it has been at any point today, the wind seems to be blowing to the SE now which is making it a lot worse with no mountain cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Okay now at levels above earlier in Dublin, maybe its the change in direction but house is creaking and shaking more. Definitely feels stronger.

Advertisement