Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The government should just cancel the October bank holiday Monday and have it tomorrow instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Got notification from school in Limerick City that they're open tomorrow :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    I'm guessing we'll have the usual few twits out on harbours and piers taking pics etc... Should be arrested and thrown in the slammer if caught. If they go in they put the emergency services lives at risk attempting to save them.

if they end up in the briny they should be left to drown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭floorpie

Calina wrote: »
    Weather predictions tend to be based on experience and data from previous similar events. The last one was 1961. The message is fairly simple, we have a major weather event approaching but we cannot be certain about the detail of how it will behave.

And we are lucky. 1961 was found by an aircraft. Now we can at least track these most of the way.

That makes sense.

It looks to me like they're underplaying it to save face in the event that it's not severe. But given that the worst-case outcome is a class of weather which endangers lives, surely it's better to err on the side of caution and just make a firm statement/prediction?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

fergus1001 wrote: »
    How is it going to dispatch from a catagory 3 hurricane to a tropical storm this close to landfall it sounds like met is trying to safe face after its earlier downplay, and in doing so it could cost lives as people don't seem to be taking this seriously !

I think there's two concepts being confused there - hurricanes do degrade to "tropical storms" in the tropics, so that's to do with wind speeds and intensity, but there is a natural transition moving away from the equatorial regions up into the mid-lats of a hurricane becoming an extratropical storm, which is a technical description of its structure, not to do with its intensity.

It is expected to downgrade in intensity as well to Cat 1 or so before it hits land (and maybe lower - hopefully!), but the technical terms are kinda unrelated as I understand it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/14/europe/hurricane-ophelia/index.html

this video graphic shows the storm passing up the east coast... Is Dublin still a yellow warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Yes they emphasised that and for people not to be out in the peak of the storm but if that's their advice surely they should be advising all schools to close.

We got a text yesterday evening that our school would monitor warnings, now status red for Waterford and Wexford.The roads to the school are tree lined,I for one would be very reticent to drive along them after playing dodgeball with boughs during Darwin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

lawred2 wrote: »
    http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/14/europe/hurricane-ophelia/index.html

this video graphic shows the storm passing up the east coast... Is Dublin still a yellow warning?

Dublin is orange - potential to go red this evening/ tomorrow AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oops I was posting in the wrong thread, apologies mods.

For those who weren't here for Storm Darwin see my report on it http://carlowweather.com/blog/the-great-storm-of-february-12th-2014/

Dublin is orange - potential to go red this evening/ tomorrow AM.

ok... It'll be interesting to see how Dublin's employers handle this...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

What is Metalert Ireland? They've just appeared on my FB newsfeed saying that Limerick, has been added to the Red Alert as well as Waterford and Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

iguana wrote: »
    What is Metalert Ireland? They've just appeared on my FB newsfeed saying that Limerick, has been added to the Red Alert as well as Waterford and Wexford.

They take their cues from met eireann as regards to warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

It'll be more interesting to see that when red warning is issued tomorrow morning and the majority of workers and students are already in the middle of their commute with a dangerous trek back home in the evening..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Schools will open if a red alert is not issued by 8-9pm tonight. After that is too late.

Waterford and Wexford not yet added to the red alert on the warning section of ME website.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

So has Limerick been added to the Red Alert? Lots of people on Facebook are claiming it but I can't see any confirmation of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

iguana wrote: »

Just seen that as well and wondering if it's legit. RTE saying Waterford and Wexford are red alert, but no mention of Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    It'll be more interesting to see that when red warning is issued tomorrow morning and the majority of workers and students are already in the middle of their commute with a dangerous trek back home in the evening..

Half days would sort that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭luimneachboy

Whats the general consensus for limerick county? How bad in terms of darwin? Less , same or more?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The ones that don't have to commute won't care how employees get to work despite the hazards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭luimneachboy

Whats the general consensus for limerick county? How bad in terms of darwin? Less , same or more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Current guidance doesn't warrant a red for Dublin in my opinion. Orange is just about right. We'll see what the afternoon/evening models show, then its a nowcast

jamo2oo9 wrote: »

well that's my point... if this goes as feared then we can expect to see a public transport shut down. This can easily be envisaged. A shutdown in the middle of the day will leave thousands of people stranded with no option other than staying put..

But what about those people in town with children in creches/schools closer to home? Staying put is not an option for them.

this could be a right clusterfu(k..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

alroley wrote: »
    Got notification from school in Limerick City that they're open tomorrow :/

LIT opening all campuses also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

If it's a Category 3 now

Will it still make landfall as one?

Category 3 will surely do serious damage to our celtic tiger construcions

Bit nervous now, limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

dsmythy wrote: »
    Half days would sort that issue.

In rural areas if you're forty minutes or an hour from work or school, you'd nearly spend more time travelling than at work or school if it's a half day

I reckon it'd be dangerous enough with the gales even before the hurricane force wind hits, and what if it moves in earlier than they think

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

iguana wrote:
    So has Limerick been added to the Red Alert? Lots of people on Facebook are claiming it but I can't see any confirmation of it.

Have seen this too but can't see confirmation that Limerick has been added. No update on Met Eireann alerts since yesterday on the app????

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have lots of water and food in that will not need cooking/ heating, two powerbanks and two spare mobiles fully charged, candles and torches at the ready.

The bbq and bins have been put away to minimise them blowing everywhere.

I will keep an eye on the weather in the morning and finish work early if needs be.

Am in Dublin so probably being over cautious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Lackey wrote: »
    LIT opening all campuses also

Can't help but think that that's a bad idea.

Oddly calm here in Galway. I know it's expected, but it does feel a bit weird to have almost no wind with this thing coming in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

this whole schools wont open in a red alert, im unsure if they all actually follow it, Still not received a text from my school, in Cork. A lot of others are closed. Its going to be pretty dangerous if my school remains open I think!

Advertisement