Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭miss flutter ups

Seems a lot more windy here in east Meath than it has been all day!

Not looking forward to the drive to work tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Bsal wrote: »
    Dublin airport 230@39G50kt as strong or stronger than earlier today.
    So I've noticed, just heard the strongest gust today a minute ago. The chimney is rumbling like thunder!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Certainly sounds worse in D11 than it did at any other point throughout the day. Glad to be indoors and safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Windier here now in mid-Louth than it's been all day

• Registered Users Posts: 68,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

milhous wrote: »
    In Louth, tragic loss of life earlier in ravensdale. We are about 7 miles away and if no-one told you about the storm you wouldnt know. This just shows how this type of storm moves differently than what we usually get and how appropriate the red alert was and is. I hope that's the end of it?!

There will never be any way to quantify the lives saved today by the red alert and warnings.

Listening to the met people and those who made the difficult call I think we have to praise and support them.
    As any kind of tribute to those who died today we cannot penalise/criticise those who took action because of their duty of care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Planes on hold trying to land or heading to Shannon...
    One went back to London stanstead..

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Not too far from the airport and from my estate I’ve an excellent few of the planes coming in , it was crazy to see a Ryanair flight aboit to land and Set back up incthe air quick , crazy scenes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

This wind is much stronger now in Dublin than it was at any stage today.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Wind gusts in Galway near 80km/h, in Dublin near 110km/h
    www.ventusky.com website.
    Not over yet but it's getting better. Wind will die overnight.

O7DKn3Z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Still fairly blowy in South Roscommon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"Magic wrote:
    =);104994931"]Wind gusts in Galway near 80km/h, in Dublin near 110km/h
    www.ventusky.com website.
    Not over yet but it's getting better. Wind will die overnight.

O7DKn3Z.jpg

Until next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gusts still strengthening here in North Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Bsal wrote: »
    Dublin airport 230@39G50kt as strong or stronger than earlier today.
    Gusting 53 now, one go-around so far:
    MWFw6jB.png

Number of planes in holding patterns at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

There's loads of way of measuring things and use different stats to reinforce a point or try disprove someone's point of view.

But then there's there is the very nice Irish way of letting someone express an opinion based on their personal experience or how ever they decide on that opinion. In my personal opinion, Darwin seemed to be worse.

It depends where you live. In my case Darwin was worst. I got some damage on farm buildings. Some big trees on my land down and an overnight power outage. I live in Limerick where nearby Shannon recorded the top gust of the storm. Lost power with Ophelia this afternoon for a few hours. If you living on the south coast Ophelia was worse there with Roches Point recording the top gust. For power outages Ophelia was worse with max of 350,000 customers without Electricity at around 3pm. It looks like almost 300k customers are still without tonight. Only 250k customers lost power with Darwin.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

Worse here than earlier (South County Dublin). Does anyone known when it is expected to pass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

twirlagig wrote: »
    Is anyone else clicking on the technical thread but being brought here? Thought I was pressing the wrong link but not

MODS, this is still happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

In D11, wind is stronger than any point today and can hear loose roof slates and the trees cracking in the wind.

None of this occurred earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Certainly more frequent, sustained and violent sounding gust here in Portmarnock the last couple of hours than there was this afternoon.

Despite what one recorded high reading may or may not say, that makes it worse now than earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

pjohnson wrote: »
    Until next week.

Yep, but UK MET predicts it will hit them harder then us.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭scouse1990

North County Dublin near Balbriggan, definitely worse than at any point today. Strong gusts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

There must be trees coming down all over the city right now, some very violent gusts at the moment,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"Magic wrote:
    =);104994967"]Yep, but UK MET predicts it will hit them harder then us.

It will still have to hit us to get there. Depressing. The hype for this made it sound a freak one off occurence. Not a new normal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

twirlagig wrote: »
    MODS, this is still happening?

Some ongoing technical difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Violent at the moment in Terenure, south Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

AnneFrank wrote: »
    A stiff breeze at worst in dublin

:rolleyes: and still this rubbish persists.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

D11, hearing stuff shaking for the first time, change in direction of the wind seems to be making it worse. Hopefully this storm knows that it has to knock off at 1am .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Just came on here as i thought i was over reacting. House is rocking here in D13. Very strong gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is rough now! North Dublin. Must be gusting over 50kts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Same, stronger in goatstown d14 this last hour or so than at the "peak" this afternoon.. can't see it clearing the country by 1am like they said on the weather forecast at 9.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Definite step up again in D14- expected this during the afternoon, certainly not now.

Advertisement