Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,470 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Casement Aerodrome (west Dublin) windiest in the country (52kts - 96km/h - at the higher end of wind force 10)

Linky

When will it be safe to put the bin out? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Wasn't too bad in Longford today, a bit of damage in the garden but no structural damage and the trampoline's still there! But what a day for my weather station's anemometer to stop working. Luckily I got it up and running again before the storm passed over.
    Still gusting and the mean wind speed is increasing still (23:30), seems to echo what people are saying about Dublin. Here's the wind chart for prosperity's sake.

The anemometer may have been slightly sheltered by the house, though it is about 15m away.

430861.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

does it just sound worse coz I am upstairs in the bedroom ( closer to roof ?) it sounds considerably worse sounding than at any point today

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Going to echo the feeling that this is worse than earlier in Dublin. Could be some power outages come morning.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

unkel wrote: »
    Casement Aerodrome (west Dublin) windiest in the country (52kts - 96km/h - at the higher end of wind force 10)

Linky

sustained or gust?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭scouse1990

RobAMerc wrote: »
    does it just sound worse coz I am upstairs in the bedroom ( closer to roof ?) it sounds considerably worse sounding than at any point today

Havent moved from my kitchen and its far worse were i am....😣

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

unkel wrote: »

Linky

my bins are out...theyve moved about a foot all day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

https://twitter.com/DublinBayBuoy
    Dublin Bay Buoy‏ @DublinBayBuoy 10m10 minutes ago
    More
    Water Temp:14 °C, Avg Wind:30kts, Gust:57kts, Wind Dir:243 °(SW), Gust Dir:233 °(SW), Wave Height:1.6m at 16/10/2017 23:35:00

This is more than we had earlier alright.

D11 here, definitely louder and stronger than at any point during the day. Not looking forward to seeing the roads in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

I feel like it's a bit louder too. But then again I'm in bed and no tv noise like today to interfere with the sound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Lying in bed in D18 and can hear trees cracking in the distance. It's eerily comfort being in bed listening, albeit thoughts for the people who are out working in it or who have suffered because of it

Also the sound of an empty can in my garden. I'm regretting not going out and putting that in the bin...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Right. Think it's time I tried for sleep. Managed to get 2 hours last night in total, so been a groggy 48hours for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Steve wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/DublinBayBuoy

This is more than we had earlier alright.

Except when they recorded avg of 48knots and gust of over 70 knots right.

• Subscribers Posts: 689 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

In North Louth along the coast here, it seems worse now here than it's been all day... maybe it's just that the actual gusts aren't as strong but there's a more consistent level of wind, either way I'm sure due to our lack of experience it can be extremely deceptive and that's the danger in this type of storm.

For all the sh!te that gets spouted around, fair play to Met Eireann for calling it bang on, RTE for the coverage and Department of Education for keeping kids out of schools. This day could have been a whole lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Lying in bed in D18 and can hear trees cracking in the distance. It's eerily comfort being in bed listening, albeit thoughts for the people who are out working in it or who have suffered because of it

Also the sound of an empty can in my garden. I'm regretting not going out and putting that in the bin...

Hey it's me your next door neighbour, go out and get that feckin can please!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Can see a plane coming in for a landing attempt off in the distance, would not fancy being in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Agree there must be trees coming down around the city. The gusts are quite intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Letter box blown open just now.
    First time since about 4.30pm today.
    Dublin 7.

Letter box is a must for measuring storm force for us none weather people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Definitely a fair bit of life left in this storm. Windy as hell in Drumcondra.

I'm down the ballybough end of Richmond road and it's wild wind at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭miss flutter ups

I'm in a ground floor apartment and it sounds horrific. Much worse than earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

We don't seem able to cope with extreme weather events, it's either we ignore them or go mad.

there must be 15 planes in a holding pattern over Dublin right now - they must be expecting it to calm down shortly or they'd have diverted them by now

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭scouse1990

italodisco wrote: »
    I'm down the ballybough end of Richmond road and it's wild wind at the mo
    I'd be worried about the Riverside Stand in Tolka in this wind, if the Turners Cross stand collapsing is anything to go by!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Just returned from ten minutes out the back garden with my dog. She has been too afraid to go out since before lunch but really had to go. She disappeared off under the brambles and left me poking around for her. My garden is surrounded on two sides by dense woodland and the wind is on the back of the house. The noise is incredible, like a banshee screech mixed with a low rumble. It was quite scary. There's a massive old sycamore tree overhanging the wall and I think part is ready to break away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

John.Icy wrote: »
    Except when they recorded avg of 48knots and gust of over 70 knots right.

Fair enough, I'll give you that, seems more sustained at the mo.

Maybe it's just more apparent because it's night time. Dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

there must be 15 planes in a holding pattern over Dublin right now - they must be expecting it to calm down shortly or they'd have diverted them by now

One just managed to land apparently, at the 2nd attempt.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

There were a few planes took off not long ago. Is landing more dangerous than taking off, I wonder?

It's about 10 times windier here in North west Dublin than it was earlier today when we were supposed to be getting the worst of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Some ongoing technical difficulties.

Thanks, working again

There were a few planes took off not long ago. Is landing more dangerous than taking off, I wonder?

Its much more difficult to land in strong winds I think - when taking off the winds might actually help you into the air !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

RIP to those who died. Christmas this year will be unbearable for their families and friends. It won't ever be the same again.

No damage here, just a tree down up the road, it has not caused damage to properties, cars or individuals though thank god and hopefully it won't during the night. I imagine the CoCo will be out in the morning to remove it. They are usually on the ball with things like this.

It is still very, very blustery here, can hear the wind howling down the chimney. Doesn't seem to be easing or dying off at all. Hopefully it will during the night.

As for those who thought it was absolutely okay for them to go out swimming in seas like that, they should be arrested and fined, and if they are minors, then their parents should be held accountable.

People seem to forget that rescue workers, guards, paramedics etc are people too and also have families, yet they don't give a rats backside about that, no, they only care when they themselves get into bother. Selfish beyond words.

Advertisement