Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I've to travel from westmeath to dundalk tomorrow. Safe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

dsmythy wrote: »
    Half days would sort that issue.

That would be a mess for schools. Notifying parents of sudden half day closure, minding children not picked up on time, trying to ensure they are all safe going home - especially if heading for public transport (what if it's cancelled suddenly) or walking. This happened in some areas during Darwin and was a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

thierry14 wrote: »
    If it's a Category 3 now

Will it still make landfall as one?

Category 3 will surely do serious damage to our celtic tiger construcions

Bit nervous now, limerick

I believe it was downgraded to a Cat 2 about an hour ago. It is very unlikely to make landfall above a Cat 1 (relatively speaking, the "Cat" definitions don't apply to extratropical storms, even if the intensity is the same).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My concern is that a proper level2/3 event on the east coast and midlands is liable to cause one hell of a lot of damage as we don’t see this level of storm often. The leaves are still on the trees, the ground isn’t dry and the sheer numbers of those commuting has the potential to cause massive problems

• Registered Users Posts: 48,234 ✭✭✭✭km79

this whole schools wont open in a red alert, im unsure if they all actually follow it, Still not received a text from my school, in Cork. A lot of others are closed. Its going to be pretty dangerous if my school remains open I think!
    It's up to each individual schools
    It is not true to say all schools in red alert area won't open

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

YEEEEEHAH!

DON GET ME DON CASE U BEER DON STURMEE, YEAH! YEEEEEEEHAAAAAH!

AIN'T NO STORM BEN ROUND THESE PARTS SINCE 1902. DON WHEN I LAST LOST MUH CHEVY. DON WIND JUST SWEPT HER RIGHT UP HERE DON GONE.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAH!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

this whole schools wont open in a red alert, im unsure if they all actually follow it, Still not received a text from my school, in Cork. A lot of others are closed. Its going to be pretty dangerous if my school remains open I think!

There is no rule. It is at discretion of the individual Board of Management. They will be very reluctant to close "unnecessarily" with "lazy teachers, overpaid, long holidays, any excuse for a day off" at the forefront of most principals' minds. They got a lot of criticism for previous closures during heavy snow and don't want a repeat.

I would hope the advice from NECC this morning that schools and childcare should close will push them towards the sensible option in red areas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Samaris wrote: »
    Can't help but think that that's a bad idea.

Oddly calm here in Galway. I know it's expected, but it does feel a bit weird to have almost no wind with this thing coming in.

It's still quite far away.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Darwin was a mess and nothing has been learned from it. Schools opening tomorrow in red alert areas is absolute downright lunacy and borderline negligent if there are trees down and electricity/communications networks down.

I was at school during Darwin back in 2014 and finished just after 1pm. On my way home (bus - 10km journey) we luckily encountered one downed tree and by chance there was a crew behind us with a chainsaw. By the time I got home the entire route of the journey had no electricity or mobile phone coverage. Parents in the majority case were uncontactable (even for a few days after this in places)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Government needs to take the lead and issue a mandatory closure order for businesses in the red alert areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

Updates

National Weather Warnings

STATUS RED

Wind Warning for Wexford, Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Waterford
    Hurricane Ophelia is expected to transition to a post tropical storm as it approaches our shores on Monday bringing severe winds and stormy conditions . Mean wind speeds in excess of 80 km/h and gusts in excess of 130km/h are expected, potentially causing structural damage and disruption, with dangerous marine conditions due to high seas and potential flooding.

Issued:Saturday 14 October 2017 14:00
    Valid:Monday 16 October 2017 09:00 to Tuesday 17 October 2017 03:00

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for The rest of the country
    Hurricane Ophelia is expected to transition to a post tropical storm as it approaches our shores on Monday. Mean wind speeds between 65 and 80 km/h with gusts between 110 and 130km/h are expected, however some inland areas may not be quite as severe. The winds have potential to cause structural damage and disruption, with dangerous marine conditions due to high seas and potential flooding.

Issued:Saturday 14 October 2017 13:21
    Valid:Monday 16 October 2017 09:00 to Tuesday 17 October 2017 03:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Not sure if already mentioned but met.ie appears to have just been updated with two additional counties.

STATUS RED

Wind Warning for Wexford, Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

New red warning on met.ie

Edit - you got there before me.

School must have been waiting for the update, text just came in to say they are closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

I’m hearing that schools in Cork are making their decisions at 6pm. I’ve relatives going to a school in Passage and they’re making up their minds at 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just wondering why so many people in Limerick are nervous compared to everywhere else? Are the buildings there made from cardboard :)
    Just take precautions and watch out for flying debris and stay indoors if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not sure if already mentioned but met.ie appears to have just been updated with two additional counties.

STATUS RED

Wexford has also been added.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Lots are closed,ours will update at 6pm which is a joke imo.I told my lot yesterday that they won't be going tomorrow.My opinion is that as adults it's up to us to make these decisions regardless of what the schools ect.say....it's highly unlikely that anything will be done in school tomorrow anyway ,the same with work places..why open shopping centres ect as surely no-one will be going out in a storm to shop,employers should be telling staff to stay at home imo as some people are probably worried about childcare,travelling ect...as it stands this is a very serious weather situation and the safety of people is paramount ,everything else can be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    I’m hearing that schools in Cork are making their decisions at 6pm. I’ve relatives going to a school in Passage and they’re making up their minds at 6.
    Hopefully, A few secondary schools very close to mine have been closed. Our school got very damaged during the 2014 storm, roof of hall blown off, roofs from other buildings flying around. Its up a hill so pretty dangerous. If it stays open its ridiculous, let alone dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Limerick appears to have been added to the red warning areas so UL may start to change their decision as should schools in the county

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Posted this in the wrong (techincal) thread, so placing here instead under warning
    met.ie appears to have just been updated with two additional counties.

STATUS RED

http://www.meteoalarm.eu/en_UK/0/0/IE-Ireland.html also have RED for ALL coasts including East, along the Irish Sea

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Just wondering why so many people in Limerick are nervous compared to everywhere else? Are the buildings there made from cardboard :)
    Just take precautions and watch out for flying debris and stay indoors if possible.

Up until a few minutes ago, there was no red warning for Limerick. People are nervous because Limerick will likely get a bad dose too and the schools etc would be open with no red warning

• Registered Users Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm interested to see will work open here in Cork tomorrow. Getting in ain't going to be an issue if it hits at 10/11 but that even rules out half day here. Might as well ride it out in an office block at that point than trying to get home in the storm. A lot of people coming from rural areas so really hoping they close for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭jirafa

22523638_10213642604354410_300348196_n.png?oh=143c0aaf6d8a026d0252dec65ab5e206&oe=59E5E28D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Just wondering why so many people in Limerick are nervous compared to everywhere else? Are the buildings there made from cardboard Just take precautions and watch out for flying debris and stay indoors if possible.

Serious flooding issues in the city in the last few years lots of people homes were destroyed i think they are entitled to be concerned dont you?

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

In Darwin in Feb 14, Limerick was only orange alert right up to the severe winds, then it really ramped, roofs came off buildings, etc, but in the middle of the strongest winds, schools and crèches texted parents to come collect children which was mad. They were safer to stay where they were until the winds abated.

My kids' school in Limerick!) has just texted to say school closed tomorrow. Guess they were waiting for the upgrade to red.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

jirafa wrote: »
    22523638_10213642604354410_300348196_n.png?oh=143c0aaf6d8a026d0252dec65ab5e206&oe=59E5E28D

incredible - it's like they see it as a challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 12 stalking zebra

Amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Bizarre - Cork is almost certain to get hit the worst.

Advertisement