Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

Why just schools? What about people going to work?

I was referring to a post about schools specifically, forgot to quote it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Minister wrote: »
    I am due to leave Waterford at eight am for meetings in Kilkenny, Carlow and then on to Wicklow for a meeting at eight and leave Wicklow for Waterford, via N11, intending to arrive back about 12.30 am. Should I chance or cancel? I am not a nervous driver in any way.

I'd say cancel or do it by phone. Even if you're ok driving yourself, I'd expect the roads to be chaos.

Put it this way.. I normally work from home Mondays anyway, but if I didn't I would be tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I am due to leave Waterford at eight am for meetings in Kilkenny, Carlow and then on to Wicklow for a meeting at eight and leave Wicklow for Waterford, via N11, intending to arrive back about 12.30 am. Should I chance or cancel? I am not a nervous driver in any way.

For 8AM tomorrow, honestly, I would cancel unless it is absolutely imperative to be there. I don't know much about how exposed the motorway is, but I really wouldn't take unnecessary journeys tomorrow, particularly out of Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

STATUS RED - Severe Weather Warning - Take Action

The issue of RED level severe weather warnings should be a comparatively rare event and implies that recipients take action to protect themselves and/or their properties; this could be by moving their families out of the danger zone temporarily; by staying indoors; or by other specific actions aimed at mitigating the effects of the weather conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

MJohnston wrote: »
    Here are the most recent Wind Arrival Time estimates from the NHC - as always, times are displayed in AST, so you will need to add 5 hours to them to get Irish time:

Essentially boil the kettle as soon as you get up 8am circa, fill up a fair few flasks. You'll have enough tea for the rest of the day if power goes out, can always be poured into hot-water bottles if power still out by nightfall or used for cooking.

Now's a good time to top-up all those AA re-chargeable (nimh) batteries for torches, radios etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Is it just me, or does it look like a yo-yo with the string drawing it back up right through Ireland?

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-1.78,49.26,1500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I'm going to a wedding tomorrow!!!!!🀔🀔🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I'd cancel crosswinds on the motorway can be bad enough on a very windy day. If its going to hit the south east then the N11 will be fin on the way back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

The main thing to rememeber is that if anything bad happens tomorrow, it will be all Met Eireann's fault. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

I have to travel from Wexford to cork at 5 am tomorrow return journey around 9 am would I be right in thinking I going to miss the worst of the weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

KathleenF wrote: »
    I was referring to a post about schools specifically, forgot to quote it.

Any views on businesses closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

garden furniture put away and portable batteries all charged up. i'm honestly the only in this house taking this thing seriously. my folks are rather blaze about the whole thing

Wesser wrote: »
    I'm going to a wedding tomorrow!!!!!������

I was at a wedding once and the electricity went for 3 hours. Loads of candles were lit and it was amazing. Great fun and ambience. I normally find weddings a chore but that one was memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

Here in Galicia at the moment there's hot gusts of wind blowing up from the south.
    There's also a large forest fire several miles to the east of us and the air smells of burt eucalyptus trees.
    This is really unusual for this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Zoney wrote: »
    Because we got caught out with Darwin. No red alert until the middle of the storm, and schools closing randomly at the height of it, parents trying to cross a city with many arterial routes blocked by fallen trees. Roof ripped off the boat club in the Shannon and brick building work pulled down in two places in the city centre.

At UL, slates were being ripped off the church by the west entrance, they were wizzing by randomly and at high speed. Could have decapitated any of the students fleeing home as classes were cancelled and students sent home.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

As a parent of three myself, if I lived in one of the counties in the red zone, I'd be making the decision not to send my kids to school tomorrow regardless of whether the school is open or not. Seems like a no brainer decision to make as a responsible parent.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

I think while you may feel safe out there travelling you are not having a meeting with just yourself so other may be putting themselves in danger travelling to make your meetings if they have to. Consider conference calls, it does not have to be face to face. If it does re-organise for another day, no point in people at risk if not needed.

NATLOR wrote: »
    I have to travel from Wexford to cork at 5 am tomorrow return journey around 9 am would I be right in thinking I going to miss the worst of the weather

Red alert status starts at 9am but that could change.

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    garden furniture put away and portable batteries all charged up. i'm honestly the only in this house taking this thing seriously. my folks are rather blaze about the whole thing

They have seen it all before. I think older generations are tougher in general too and tend to have less fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Cork City Council's currently firing out emergency alerts, but they're not localising them to Cork City. I am getting an SMS every time there's a message from Met Éireann and a weird mixture of Red Alerts and Orange Alerts.

It's totally confusing! Every time I see an orange alert I think it's been downgraded, then I see: oh no! It's still red.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If schools and childcare facilities are closed tomorrow it brings into question regarding businesses being open alright

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

a ban on high sided vehicles should come into effect in red areas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Looks like it's down to 80 knots intensity now. Expect further weakening by the 4 pm advisory.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

During Storm Darwin, at the height of the wind event, our national school, in Cork City, texted all parents to come and collect our children immediately! Now that was irresponsible, as it put about 400 parents out onto the roads, battling downed trees, and severe gusts, to get the kids from school (who were safer inside the building). Luckily I was too far away to even consider driving and hubby was asleep and missed the text for over an hour. By the time he got to the school, 10 mins before normal closing time, the wind event was over and all he had was a very peeved kid who "missed all the excitement". I think the school just panicked and made a bad decision that day, luckily there are guidelines now and the schools and parents should take heed of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

marno21 wrote: »
    Yes I would. I'll be doing the same (Killarney). No point in saying "I should've brought it in" on Tuesday

Managed to fill up the shed, hopefully the shed won’t blow away!

UPDATE from national Emergency Coordinator
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bUn0p0HMjRGc2_J5nRjQVo6jOhlxYN7qt8yTKqT0VTU/edit

jI9A8yv.png

Questions on garden furniture - "People are advised to remove patio furniture, rubbish bins and any loose items from around buildings, which can be turned into missiles by the wind."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Looks like it's down to 80 knots intensity now. Expect further weakening by the 4 pm advisory.

Doesn't mean it's going to be a non event. Take precautions regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

Got an LED hurricane lamp in Euro giant. It was a fiver not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

spookwoman wrote: »
    UPDATE from national Emergency Coordinator
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bUn0p0HMjRGc2_J5nRjQVo6jOhlxYN7qt8yTKqT0VTU/edit

jI9A8yv.png

Questions on garden furniture - "People are advised to remove patio furniture, rubbish bins and any loose items from around buildings, which can be turned into missiles by the wind."

Bins going out in Kerry tomorrow!

Advertisement