Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

"Don't travel unless absolutely necessary".

That sounds like a questionable evening commute

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Essentially boil the kettle as soon as you get up 8am circa, fill up a fair few flasks. You'll have enough tea for the rest of the day if power goes out, can always be poured into hot-water bottles if power still out by nightfall or used for cooking.

Now's a good time to top-up all those AA re-chargeable (nimh) batteries for torches, radios etc.

I cant remember being without water due to a Storm or Winds, Electricity yes but water no. How could water supply be impacted?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Key Public Safety & Information Messages
    · All unnecessary travel should be avoided on Monday, while the storm is passing..
    · Don’t travel in Red level warning areas during the height of the storm unless absolutely necessary, and take due care if travelling in all other areas. Listen to local radio and national media broadcasts regarding the current weather situation.
    · High seas predicted, the public are advised to stay away from coastal areas during this period.
    · Very strong winds are predicted making driving conditions hazardous, especially for the more vulnerable road users, e.g., cyclists, pedestrian’s, motorcyclist and high sided vehicles. Road users should pay particular attention to the risk posed by fallen trees and flying debris.
    · Given anticipated weather conditions, tomorrow should be a no bike day.
    · Power outages are likely to occur in certain parts of the country, with contingency planning activated by the ESB. The ESB is advising the public to stay away from fallen cables that may have broken due to the high winds. ESB Emergency Services can be contacted at 1850372999.
    · Bus Éireann’s schools transport services will not be operating in counties covered by Red level warnings. Because of the duty of care owed to children and to avoid the risk arising from travelling, the Department of Education and Skills is instructing all schools to act on the Department‘s advice and remain closed. Crèches and Montessori facilities should also remain closed tomorrow.
    · People are asked to check in on isolated and vulnerable neighbours today in advance of the oncoming severe weather conditions and again after the worst of the event has passed.
    · People are advised to remove patio furniture, rubbish bins and any loose items from around buildings, which can be turned into missiles by the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Pangea wrote: »
    I cant remember being without water due to a Storm or Winds, Electricity yes but water no. How could water supply be impacted?
    Alot of rural treatment plants in kerry have small associated reservoirs which drain quickly if not being supplied by treated water which requires power.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So how bad are we talking in the midlands (Laois/Kildare area). Some of the charts look ominous but hard to tell with the fast moving updates.

Anyone? :) I'm looking out at the car and while things are usually fairly quiet in this part of the estate, there's a few young trees across from it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,261 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Does a Citreon Berlingo count as a high sided vehicle ye reckon? I can feel the wind moving it on most blustery days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

If you've your own well, they are operated by electricity to pump the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

marno21 wrote: »
    "Don't travel unless absolutely necessary".

That sounds like a questionable evening commute

You should not be traveling to work tomorrow under any circumstances. Stay inside.

If the national lottery ran a reverse lottery where you got paid €100 (or whatever you make in a day) when you got the ticket but died if your numbers came up would you take it? It’s not worth the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Does a Citreon Berlingo count as a high sided vehicle ye reckon? I can feel the wind moving it on most blustery days.....

High sided vehicle would be the likes of lorries and buses. Might even apply to big vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Bins going out in Kerry tomorrow!

Just got a text to put bins out tonight before 9pm and they will be emptied during the night as tomorrow is normal bin day.!! (In West Limerick)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Go Tobban wrote: »
    Never mind the students!

What's the chance of employers telling staff to stay at home on Monday:D?!

I’ve already sent texts to all my staff telling them not to travel to work if there is any high winds about. We’re in the south east so hopefully ok but I don’t want anyone in danger for the sake of a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Is Louth, Meath and Dublin likely to see an upgrade to Red status by tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Bins going out in Kerry tomorrow!

And being picked up in Clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Sesame wrote: »
    If you've your own well, they are operated by electricity to pump the water.

Aye and in a serious powercut,the local pumping station and worse filtration system could be offline

Mobile phone masts according to a poster on the broadband forum only have a 6 hr battery back up
    That’s going to be tested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Two neighbours have skip bags out the front, one has disappeared and has obviously been taken somewhere and secured.

Think I will give the other one a couple more hours and then suggest he does the same. Lots of wood in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

1. Wells - a lot of people do get their supplies from personal wells, powered by a generator/pump. If that goes down, no water.

2. Mains - This is a lot less certain, but contamination of sources is always a worry for these big weather events. That includes reservoirs and potential damage at water treatment plants. Main indicators of concern there (imo) is either if your water supply is in the direct target area (so, south), or if water is a bit prone to problems anyway (west and north midlands). This tends to primarily be an issue with major rainfall events rather than wind alone, but we don't quite know what the heavy rainbands are going to be like, and the wind here is unusual. It is not beyond the bounds of possibility anyway.

A final always-possible danger is burst pipes due to road or surface damage - a tree being torn up and ripping out a pipe, for instance.

GarIT wrote: »
    You should not be traveling to work tomorrow under any circumstances. Stay inside.

If the national lottery ran a reverse lottery where you got paid €100 (or whatever you make in a day) when you got the ticket but died if your numbers came up would you take it? It’s not worth the risk

I have a feeling employers won't share this view though. :(

I don't want to get stranded tomorrow evening but I know I'll be expected in in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

I have elderly parents in Co Meath. I don't want to alarm them unnecessarily but I know their garden furniture is out... it really should come in, shouldn't it??

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Cushtie wrote: »
    Just got a text to put bins out tonight before 9pm and they will be emptied during the night as tomorrow is normal bin day.!! (In West Limerick)

Well, technically speaking, your bins WILL be emptied if you put them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,899 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Considering what a bit of frost or snow does to this country, I've a feeling this is going to be a disaster like we've never seen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭AllForIt

CNN have it as their leading item on their website (currently). Which is unusual.

http://edition.cnn.com/

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/14/europe/hurricane-ophelia/index.html

Flying Fox wrote: »
    I have a feeling employers won't share this view though. :(

I don't want to get stranded tomorrow evening but I know I'll be expected in in the morning.

I’m disappointed that the government hasn’t issued anything requesting all non essential businesses to close tomorrow

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Garden cleared out but I have a log cabin in the back that has the Apex side of the roof facing East, with a bit of open space in front of it (overlooks the back of all the houses). Half tempted to tie down the roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I’m disappointed that the government hasn’t issued anything requesting all non essential businesses to close tomorrow

My workplace is mulling it at the moment. I hope they do. I'd be okay, I live close, but too many coworkers have to make an hour's trip west or so just as things start to get serious. And that's leaving aside the trip east back at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Is this going to be worse than Darwin in Feb 2014 (for Waterford)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Any non-essential employee been asked to travel to work in a status red area should consider seeking legal advice.

Samaris wrote: »
    My workplace is mulling it at the moment. I hope they do. I'd be okay, I live close, but too many coworkers have to make an hour's trip west or so just as things start to get serious. And that's leaving aside the trip east back at the end of the day.

I’d be messaging coworkers and organising a strike tomorrow if where I worked wasn’t closed tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭sjb25

Looking at Facebook 90% local schools to me (co Wexford) have closed tomorrow

Wish I didn't have to go to work :(

• Advertisement

Will the Dublin train commuter services be affected tomorrow evening? Will be getting the train to work in the morning but wondering if they will be cancelled in the evening if there is debris on the tracks.

Advertisement