Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

CIT in Cork closed tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Outstanding forecast by Joanna!

One for the archive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Any non-essential employee been asked to travel to work in a status red area should consider seeking legal advice.

On a Sunday evening ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭crushproof

Flicking through the telly - CNN, Sky News, France24, RT all leading with major stories about the hurricane. I cannot comprehend the lax attitude on Irish media. Listening to RTE 1 for the past two hours and there has been nothing mentioned, apart from a chuckle about "the thunderstorm" approaching that has made people cancel their tickets for some sports discussion tomorrow night. Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Is this going to be worse than Darwin in Feb 2014 (for Waterford)?

Looks like a yes but that can change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Have just come in from battening down the hatches, and hoping God takes care of us, we are at the mercy of this, and expecting damage this time, though not from trees, as I have kept these down since a few yrs ago when they got uprooted in last bad one, along with losing half the roof,
    and am on the coast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Tomorrow will be fun getting to work and getting home from work.

I work in Ballsbridge and commute from Naas by train. From what I have seen so far Dublin will be okay and since my boss doesn't seem to pay attention to the weather I doubt I will get an advisory on what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    On a Sunday evening ? :)

Off course 😒

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Will the Dublin train commuter services be affected tomorrow evening? Will be getting the train to work in the morning but wondering if they will be cancelled in the evening if there is debris on the tracks.

No one can say for sure, but given high winds have caused disruption before with falling branches and level crossings malfunctioning, you should probably expect disruption At some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

on south west coast, I hve an important question, what direction will the wind hit from into me

• Advertisement

sjb25 wrote: »
    Looking at Facebook 90% local schools to me (co Wexford) have closed tomorrow

Wish I didn't have to go to work :(

You don’t have to. Tell them to **** off it’s not worth the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

crushproof wrote: »
    Flicking through the telly - CNN, Sky News, France24, RT all leading with major stories about the hurricane. I cannot comprehend the lax attitude on Irish media. Listening to RTE 1 for the past two hours and there has been nothing mentioned, apart from a chuckle about "the thunderstorm" approaching that has made people cancel their tickets for some sports discussion tomorrow night. Christ.

There's balance to be had though. CNN and Sky and all those 24 hr news channels love to big things up beyond what is reasonable.

Not saying that RTE shouldn't be giving it more attention but it's wrong to compare its coverage to the likes of Sky News

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    High sided vehicle would be the likes of lorries and buses. Might even apply to big vans.

trailers and caravans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Schools in Waterford closing; no sign of WIT🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭sjb25

GarIT wrote: »
    You don’t have to. Tell them to **** off it’s not worth the risk

I do have to
    my job is an essential service

I' work in the emergency services so il be out driving around in it most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

New Home wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does it look like a yo-yo with the string drawing it back up right through Ireland?

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-1.78,49.26,1500

What is that string of calm wind?

sjb25 wrote: »
    I do have to
    my job is an essential service

I' work in the emergency services so il be out driving around in it most likely

That’s very different, I guess thanks and good luck is all I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

There's balance to be had though. CNN and Sky and all those 24 hr news channels love to big things up beyond what is reasonable.

Not saying that RTE shouldn't be giving it more attention but it's wrong to compare its coverage to the likes of Sky News

RTE really aren't giving it proper treatment though. It's pretty lacklustre by them, people should be scared for tomorrow, not thinking that it'll be grand as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dropzone

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/919564403611226112

Schools to close in red warning areas according to the Department of Education

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭sjb25

GarIT wrote: »
    That’s very different, I guess thanks and good luck is all I can say.

Thanks hopefully no one will need us and if they do we will get out as safe as possible and sort them out as safe as possible

08.00-20.00 tomorrow and same on Tuesday for me :)

My other half and young lad will be home tomorrow
    so have the garden cleared extra water in extra fire wood and gas and battery's etc so I no they will be grand when I'm gone looks like a big enough one that's on the way

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Lucreto wrote: »
    Tomorrow will be fun getting to work and getting home from work.

I work in Ballsbridge and commute from Naas by train. From what I have seen so far Dublin will be okay and since my boss doesn't seem to pay attention to the weather I doubt I will get an advisory on what to do.

Don’t be surprised if Irish Rail services in the Greater Dublin Area are affected tomorrow afternoon.

You might be grand commuting to work, but keep in mind you’ve to get home too. In situations such as this it’s really down to you to determine if you can safely travel to and from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

The burning question on my mind is will it even be safe to travel to work tomorrow or travel anywhere for that matter if you live in the worst affected counties?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

On the RTE website, when you go to watch the latest forecast; you're made to watch 2 minutes worth of ads first which is pretty bad imo given the seriousness of what's going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

looks like lunchtime for me in Cork, battening down that hatches now - nice visual site here https://www.ventusky.com/?p=52.95;-8.05;6&l=wind&t=20171016/13

Brian2011 wrote: »
    The burning question on my mind is will it even be safe to travel to work tomorrow or travel anywhere for that matter if you live in the worst affected counties?

Already been answer 20 times. Definitely not safe to travel to work in red warning areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

On the RTE website, when you go to watch the latest forecast; you're made to watch 2 minutes worth of ads first which is pretty bad imo given the seriousness of what's going on!

Don't underestimate their ineptitude and uselessness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

They need urgent clarity on :

1. Schools
    2. Work arrangements tomorrow - should we aim to work remotely?
    3. Bin collections. There are stories of automated texts going out about bin collections as normal in red alert areas. That’s going to at best create one hell of a mess.
    4. Issues like non essential hospital appointments. I know of one person who is determined to go to CUH tomorrow with a small kid because they’ve been waiting all year for an appointment and think that if they don’t show it will be another year.
    5. Public transport etc etc

I’m just hearing “red alert” and no further information.

Cork City Council was sending mixed orange (national) and red (south coast) alerts because they’re just parroting all press release from Met Éireann and not just the ones appropriate to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Sensible decision by Richard Bruton

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Mr.S wrote: »
    Use common sense, if the forecasts are still bad for the afternoon when you wake up in the morning / trains are already delayed, work from home (if you can) or call in saying you can't make it because of the weather. No need to wait for your boss to tell you what to do.

That is THE big issue - looking at it, the most likely scenario is that it's going to be OK-ish in the morning, but the sh1t will hit the proverbial fan in the evening around Dublin. People can't see beyond their own nose - they won't consider this, in the morning it'll be "ah sure, I can go!".

I fully expect IE to come grinding to a halt in the afternoon - I mean, they can't keep any resemblance of a timetable on a sunny day with +15c :D:D:D

I fully expect to see plenty of people cycling to work on Monday as well, it will be "fun" in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Just got text there to say my kids' school closed tomorrow. I wasn't sending them anyway. We've bunged everything movable into the shed so feel fairly organised. I'm sick to my stomach at the thoughts of this. I'm watching it like a hawk, it's so interesting and amazing but it's terrifying.

Advertisement