Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

How has Dublin not been upgraded to a red warning yet?

And schools are still due to open there even though the worst of the storm will be hitting exactly when students are leaving school in the afternoon to head home! Mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Reggie. wrote: »
    What is that string of calm wind?

Looks like the path of the storm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭914

Just cleared the garden, took out the flash lights/candles. the camping stove, and stocked up on water.

Here's hoping it won't be as bad as forecast but better to be prepared everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

goat2 wrote: »
    on south west coast, I hve an important question, what direction will the wind hit from into me

It's cyclonic in nature meaning the wind could come from any direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

titan18 wrote: »
    RTE really aren't giving it proper treatment though. It's pretty lacklustre by them, people should be scared for tomorrow, not thinking that it'll be grand as usual

Its the weekend, nothing happens in RTE after the LLS goes off air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,072 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

flaneur wrote: »
    They need urgent clarity on :

1. Schools
    2. Work arrangements tomorrow - should we aim to work remotely?
    3. Bin collections. There are stories of automated texts going out about bin collections as normal in red alert areas. That’s going to at best create one hell of a mess.
    4. Issues like non essential hospital appointments. I know of one person who is determined to go to CUH tomorrow with a small kid because they’ve been waiting all year for an appointment and think that if they don’t show it will be another year.
    5. Public transport etc etc

I’m just hearing “red alert” and no further information.

Cork City Council was sending mixed orange (national) and red (south coast) alerts because they’re just parroting all press release from Met Éireann and not just the ones appropriate to Cork.

Schools in red alert areas have been told they need to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

crustybla wrote: »
    Just got text there to say my kids' school closed tomorrow. I wasn't sending them anyway. We've bunged everything movable into the shed so feel fairly organised. I'm sick to my stomach at the thoughts of this. I'm watching it like a hawk, it's so interesting and amazing but it's terrifying.

Relax, it's not going to be that bad jesus. No need to be terrified. Stay indoors and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Will Galway still be status red by this evening? Seems the worst of it is missing the west coast and going further south

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭crashadder

i am new in Dublin so i dont know how these events handled in the past but i think the attitude is a bit lax at the moment. its just for a day fgs. deep analysis isnt required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

MadYaker wrote: »
    crustybla wrote: »
    Just got text there to say my kids' school closed tomorrow. I wasn't sending them anyway. We've bunged everything movable into the shed so feel fairly organised. I'm sick to my stomach at the thoughts of this. I'm watching it like a hawk, it's so interesting and amazing but it's terrifying.

Relax, it's not going to be that bad jesus. No need to be terrified. Stay indoors and you'll be grand.

Just out of interest, where are you based?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

flaneur wrote: »

Cork City Council was sending mixed orange (national) and red (south coast) alerts because they’re just parroting all press release from Met Éireann and not just the ones appropriate to Cork.

Apparently they both apply to Cork...red for wind, orange for rain. Confusing as fook if you ask me. I though it had all been downgraded but no, red still applied but orange also applies....stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

I always think Iberia looks like a human face looking west, and today there's quite a sight.

Lets hope the face of North Kerry watches this pass by without too much destruction tomorrow. :)

430652.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The slight shift east of the track will spare the west coast from the worst winds, but has now exposed it to the storm’s western half heavy precipitation:

STATUS ORANGE

Rainfall Warning for Connacht, Wexford, Donegal, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Waterford
    Heavy rain at times on Monday with some local flooding, especially in coastal areas. 40+ mm possible.

Issued:Sunday 15 October 2017 14:00
    Valid:Monday 16 October 2017 09:00 to Monday 16 October 2017 21:00

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath, Cavan, Monaghan and Tipperary
    Heavy rain at times on Monday with some local flooding, especially in coastal areas. 25 to 40 mm possible.

Issued:Sunday 15 October 2017 14:00
    Valid:Monday 16 October 2017 09:00 to Monday 16 October 2017 21:00

https://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Everything put away in the shed and plenty of gin in the fridge.

#Sorted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Phenomenal seas forecast for seas off South coast. Hopefully Irish Ferries don't sail and risk repeating the Storm Imogen fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

There's balance to be had though. CNN and Sky and all those 24 hr news channels love to big things up beyond what is reasonable.

Not saying that RTE shouldn't be giving it more attention but it's wrong to compare its coverage to the likes of Sky News

Since they adopted this Colour warning there have been so many "Yellow warnings" and "Amber warnings" that have amounted to nothing more than a brisk squall and a night's rain that people are blase this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

zapata wrote: »
    Lets hope the face of North Kerry watches this pass by without too much destruction tomorrow. :)

430652.jpg

If that top peninsula is its arms, and the lower one its leg, what the hell is the middle one?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ooompie5

lawred2 wrote: »
    incredible - it's like they see it as a challenge

Your kids safety is your responsibility. Don't delegate it to a school who might be more concerned about avoiding the hassle having to open another day to make up for a closure tomorrow.

EDIT: now that Dept Ed has said schools in Red areas are to close, they dont have to make up the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    There's balance to be had though. CNN and Sky and all those 24 hr news channels love to big things up beyond what is reasonable.

Not saying that RTE shouldn't be giving it more attention but it's wrong to compare its coverage to the likes of Sky News

Since they adopted this Colour warning there have been so many "Yellow warnings" and "Amber warnings" that have amounted to nothing more than a brisk squall and a night's rain that people are blase this time.

Is a yellow warning even meant to equate to anything beyond "bad weather"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭sjb25

Good advice and something to think about here only call 999/112 in emergencys tomorrow if it's something that can wait let it wait if not obviously call

https://www.facebook.com/LoughlinstownAmbulanceStation/posts/978223222317853

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    If that top peninsula is its arms, and the lower one its leg, what the hell is the middle one?

Tralee is the eye. Dingle the nose. Then there’s the chin and finally part of the chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

PauloMN wrote:
    Phenomenal seas forecast for seas off South coast. Hopefully Irish Ferries don't sail and risk repeating the Storm Imogen fiasco.

They've already cancelled ferries for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Donal55 wrote: »
    Everything put away in the shed and plenty of gin in the fridge.

#Sorted.

Yeah, but when the fridge loses its power, you'll have warm gin.. Yuck!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

University of Limerick closed tomorrow

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Yeah, but when the fridge loses its power, you'll have warm gin.. Yuck!:cool:

It'll be drank by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

H3llR4iser wrote: »

I fully expect to see plenty of people cycling to work on Monday as well, it will be "fun" in the evening.

Now that would be the height of foolishness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

If there was a colour between Orange and Red, (e.g. 'high Orange') it should apply to the exposed, busy and often dangerous M1.

Met.ie says...
    and along the East coast, wind values are likely to be in the high end of the orange scale

Reckon that anyone with a high-sided vehicle should avoid the M1 (and probably M50) entirely between Monday 14:00-18:00hrs.
    If driving behind a high-sided vehicle Monday afternoon-evening, maybe keep 100meters minimum distance from it and reduce speeds.
    Expect severe delays, even one single overturned will take hours to clear.

Screen_Shot_2017-10-15_at_15.31.16.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Looks like the storm centre will go right through Donegal Bay and up past my house in SW Donegal, I understand that Donegal isn't going to be bad as the south but will there still be severe gusts?

Pangea wrote: »
    Looks like the storm centre will go right through Donegal Bay and up past my house in SW Donegal, I understand that Donegal isn't going to be bad as the south but will there still be severe gusts?

Looks like Donegal could end up just south of Iceland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

Pangea, I'm based in same area as you and wondering the same thing. Orange alert (rain) for Donegal is getting me worried as I'm sure conditions mixed with the gales will be hazardous to drive in tomorrow, especially taking the kids home from school on a coastal road..

Advertisement