Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

They've already cancelled ferries for the day

Not according to their website. Epsilon leaving an hour earlier today from France but will still be in F11 winds as it approaches Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Just heard a road safety advert on the radio, the roads can be dangerous enough on the best of days,
    but when trucks start going sideways during Monday's conditions....

The RSA has the following general advice for road users when travelling in strong winds:

- Beware of objects being blown out onto the road. Expect the unexpected. Watch out for falling/fallen debris, like trees and branches, on the road and vehicles veering across the road.

- Control of a vehicle may be affected by strong cross winds. High sided vehicles, motorcyclists and cyclists are particularly vulnerable to strong winds

- Drivers should allow extra space allow between themselves and vulnerable road users such as cyclists and motorcyclists as they may be blown off course by strong winds.

- Use dipped headlights at all times to improve visibility

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqSHcUGOjQU&list=PLi8nqrsVU6hvzmFBXTTAJqiUjDPaQaAqd&index=7

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Defence forces being deployed in Red weather alert areas and on standby for further action tomorrow

919567204865241092?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beat102103.com%2Fnews%2Fwaterford-wexford-status-red-alert-ophelia-approaches%2F

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Since they adopted this Colour warning there have been so many "Yellow warnings" and "Amber warnings" that have amounted to nothing more than a brisk squall and a night's rain that people are blase this time.

Chainsaw at the ready Nek?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I've a feeling there will be a lot of "told you so" scenarios by tomorrow evening as people don't heed warnings.
    I'm not due into work until later in the day but have a feeling staff will have been sent home by then.Darwin knocked out power to the whole region and this looks even more destructive for the SE.

• Advertisement

If Dublin and Wicklow go red, will the DART run? It'd be terrifying going along Killiney and Greystones coastal piece.

Had a google, couldn't find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

km79 wrote: »
    Sensible decision by Richard Bruton

Sensible would have been to close schools nationwide for the day. More counties are likely to be given Red status tonight and early in the morning and by that stage it'll be too late to prepare and make arrangements

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Sensible would have been to close schools nationwide for the day. More counties are likely to be given Red status tonight and early in the morning and by that stage it'll be too late to prepare and make arrangements

Yeah its not like it's close to state exams or anything. It will be windy virtually nationwide tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Anyone got any idea if Sligo's likely to go to red alert, or if they should start considering school closures there?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

My parents cancelled their trip to Westport thankfully. I was giving out about them at the start of this thread!
    But I'm still finding a lot of people in Dublin not taking the thing seriously. "Alarmist", "Over the top", "Just a gale and a bit of rain", "Just a bad storm" etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

UL closed as are all Schools in Limerick

https://twitter.com/UL/status/919569384686923776

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

At this point anyone not taking it seriously can go fook themselves. They'll cry the loudest about how they weren't given enough warning when their wheelie bin goes through one of our windows

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

If Dublin and Wicklow go red, will the DART run? It'd be terrifying going along Killiney and Greystones coastal piece.

Had a google, couldn't find out.

There is a banner at the top of the Irish Rail site:

"All services currently operating and expected to operate Monday morning 16th October - no disruption arising from Hurricane Ophelia at this time."

Otherwise, on Twitter it's just a case of keeping an eye out for updates.

Trebor176 wrote: »
    There is a banner at the top of the Irish Rail site:

"All services currently operating and expected to operate Monday morning 16th October - no disruption arising from Hurricane Ophelia at this time."

Otherwise, on Twitter it's just a case of keeping an eye out for updates.

Problem is that people will get the train in, storm hits, trains cancelled and lots of stranded commuters. They should be communicating some kind of plan for tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Anything going to happen in Laois/Offaly weather wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Problem is that people will get the train in, storm hits, trains cancelled and lots of stranded commuters. They should be communicating some kind of plan for tomorrow afternoon.

Yes. I remember myself and many others stranded in Dublin city during snow in 2010. We ended up in hotels for the night - I wouldn't fancy my chances now given the current situation with shortage of hotel beds and hotels at full occupancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

I have a hospital appointment tomorrow at 1pm in Cork, I rang earlier to see about cancelling/rescheduling they said ring back in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

harr wrote: »
    I think now is probably the time to issue the extra red warnings not very early in the morning or late tonight...my son gets his school bus at 8 am and doesn’t get home till near 3 , just got text from school saying they are open as normal but to keep an eye on weather forecast...I am in south east kildare..
    I am in two minds to send him or not...morning might be ok but worried about Home time..I don’t have access to a car tomorrow to collect him if things drastically change...

Don't send him. You can't rely on anybody else to make a decision. If they won't make one, make the decision to protect your family yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I think now is probably the time to issue the extra red warnings not very early in the morning or late tonight...my son gets his school bus at 8 am and doesn’t get home till near 3 , just got text from school saying they are open as normal but to keep an eye on weather forecast...I am in south east kildare..
    I am in two minds to send him or not...morning might be ok but worried about Home time..I don’t have access to a car tomorrow to collect him if things drastically change...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Valyawl wrote: »
    I have a hospital appointment tomorrow at 1pm in Cork, I rang earlier to see about cancelling/rescheduling they said ring back in the morning

Well I suppose t being Sunday afternoon there's probably no one working in out patients or your consultants office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

harr wrote: »
    I am in two minds to send him or not

Don't send him so.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Anything going to happen in Laois/Offaly weather wise
    Anyone that hasn't their turf home will be in trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

What time is the nad wind due in Dublin tomorrow ? Ie what time should I drive for cover and stop driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

NUIG will make the decision to remain open or close at 19.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

My parents cancelled their trip to Westport thankfully. I was giving out about them at the start of this thread!
    But I'm still finding a lot of people in Dublin not taking the thing seriously. "Alarmist", "Over the top", "Just a gale and a bit of rain", "Just a bad storm" etc etc.

Just out walking the dogs and spoke to the next door farmer about the upcoming storm
    He started laughing and said they are fools nothing bad is going to happen just some light storm and some heavy rain and that's it
    He leaves all of his animals outside and i told him we will see a lot of flying cattle and sheep and rubbish from your farmyard tomorrow passing the windows I think
    Answer was you are mad take another drink

We will see neighbor , will talk talk to you again on Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

__..__ wrote: »
    What time is it due in Dublin tomorrow ?

https://weather.us/forecast/2964574-dublin/ensemble/euro/wind-gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Coax

mrsoundie wrote: »
    UL closed as are all Schools in Limerick

https://twitter.com/UL/status/919569384686923776

My local national school in Limerick hasn't issued a notice of closure yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

They'll cry the loudest about how they weren't given enough warning when their wheelie bin goes through one of our windows

I wouldn't have believed it, but our own (empty) wheelie bin cleared our 4 foot fence and ended up 100yards down the field. That was just in a regular gale.

Had our few loose slates fixed recently, so hopefully they will hold tight. I have previously been outside propping up the fence in high winds when a slate blew off the roof and embedded itself in the grass 10 feet away.

Looks like we'll get easterly wind initially, moving to southerly. We rarely get strong easterlies so it may test some structures that usually survive being pummelled by westerly winds.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

__..__ wrote: »
    What time is it due in Dublin tomorrow ?
    looks at the moment like early afternoon.

Add 5hrs to below

145012_most_likely_toa_no_wsp_34.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

Starting to get a bit windy here in south sligo

Advertisement