Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Just out walking the dogs and spoke to the next door farmer about the upcoming storm
    He started laughing and said they are fools nothing bad is going to happen just some light storm and some heavy rain and that's it
    He leaves all of his animals outside and i told him we will see a lot of flying cattle and sheep and rubbish from your farmyard tomorrow passing the windows I think
    Answer was you are mad take another drink

We will see neighbor , will talk talk to you again on Tuesday

He might be right. The storm is tracking east again so Galway/Mayo should not get the worst of the wind but will get a lot of rain.
    Wexford could be in for a battering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Coax wrote: »
    My local national school in Limerick hasn't issued a notice of closure yet.

Mary Imaculate College and University College Limerick are not opening according to my son and daughter who attend both Colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Anywhere in the country engaged in non-essential work tomorrow should be closed. It's one day. I work in Logistics near Dublin so looks like I'll head in the morning for 7am but once we've sorted out the chaos I intend to be leaving before lunchtime. No way in hell am I driving the N7 in 130km/h crosswinds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Kayly

Nothing from Limerick IT as yet.. surely they will close too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Can some expert answer is this tracking further and further east? Going by the other thread seems to be the trend.

• Advertisement

Coax wrote: »
    My local national school in Limerick hasn't issued a notice of closure yet.

The Minister for Education has overruled them. He ordered all schools in red areas to close about an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Kayly wrote: »
    Nothing from Limerick IT as yet.. surely they will close too?

Probably, but I remember when I went there they were open during a storm when UL and Mary I were closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Now that would be the height of foolishness!

Of course it would but that wont stop them. Not to mention the surfers, high divers and photographers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Anything going to happen in Laois/Offaly weather wise

You betcha!! Not as bad as in the Counties rated as Red by Met Eireann, but it will be very windy with potentially very damaging gusts according to the forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

pimpmyhat wrote: »
    Starting to get a bit windy here in south sligo

Its eerily calm here in the mid west - which makes it all the stranger.

This time tomorrow we'll be getting battered for sure :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Starting to get a bit windy here in south sligo
    Unrelated

Can some expert answer is this tracking further and further east? Going by the other thread seems to be the trend.

I don't claim to be an expert but the National Hurricane Center in Miami are saying yes, track is pushed further east.

29294d559d47db548d49029f3c0cb11f.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That's a direct hit for the south-east. I work in rosslare harbour with a commute from Wexford town I'm really starting to think about what I'm going to do.

Tell your employer that you are following the advisory notice issued by the National Emergency Centre. There is no way you should be on the road - I know that end of the N25 well - it's very open, cross winds could be very bad.

its eerie right now in Drogheda , so warm and still, flocks of birds gliding around high up in the sky..............its like the calm before the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Along the exact track of the low if it does make landfall, conditions will be considerably different within 30 miles either side. Anything to the east will be fully exposed to the strongest south to southwest winds. Anything to the west will see moderate northeast winds backing around to northwest after the low passes, and finally strong westerly but peak gusts on the west side of the track are unlikely to exceed 120 km/hr, while to the east peak gusts could be 140 to 170 km/hr.

Right along the track, I would expect this sequence:

SE 70-110 km/hr
    brief lull to almost calm for 30 minutes to an hour
    WSW 80-130 km/hr

Rainfalls will also tend to be considerably higher west of the track as this will be the most likely place for the warm fronts to stall ahead of the arrival.

I think the track will be close to Dingle - Lahinch - Galway city - just west of Sligo town into eastern Donegal and near Malin Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

sdanseo wrote: »
    I don't claim to be an expert but the National Hurricane Center in Miami are saying yes, track is pushed further east.

29294d559d47db548d49029f3c0cb11f.png
    That looks to puts cork in an even worse situation then it already was in, along with the South east. Going to be really interesting to see how this turns out

its eerie right now in Drogheda , so warm and still, flocks of birds gliding around high up in the sky..............its like the calm before the storm.

It is the calm before the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Of course it would but that wont stop them. Not to mention the surfers, high divers and photographers :D

Usually photograph storms and very cautious. I see some scary things when out and about especially when it comes to piers. I'd rather stand 200 yards up a lane and take pics from there than go right next to it. They talk about freak waves but they aren't that uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Is Dublin in contention to be added to the red ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I work in Carrickmines and even on a low wind day, it's very blustery. All comes down from the mountains. Tomorrow will (well won't really!) be fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

km79 wrote: »
    Unrelated

Why don't you go for a nice long stroll tomorrow lunchtime preferably along the coast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

sdanseo wrote: »
    Anywhere in the country engaged in non-essential work tomorrow should be closed. It's one day. I work in Logistics near Dublin so looks like I'll head in the morning for 7am but once we've sorted out the chaos I intend to be leaving before lunchtime. No way in hell am I driving the N7 in 130km/h crosswinds.

I agree. I think they should close all preschools and schools throughout the country. It only takes a small branch to whack a small child in the back of the head.

It has been 3-4 years here since the schools have been closed for anything weather related. Better to keep children in particular inside and safe. It's one day after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

That looks to puts cork in an even worse situation then it already was in, along with the South east. Going to be really interesting to see how this turns out

Well if it keeps pushing further east it won't be as windy for cork in certain locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

Can I ask, if the track is moving east is it possible that more midland counties could get a red warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Why don't you go for a nice long stroll tomorrow lunchtime preferably along the coast

It is unrelated though, it has nothing to do with Ophelia.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

"A particularly violent hurricane" ... as opposed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1015/912467-ophelia/

School buses will not operate on Monday in the counties where the status red alert is in place.

Bus Éireann said it has cancelled the services to ensure children are not put in any danger.

Bus Éireann are also advising passengers of "likely disruption to some scheduled road passenger services tomorrow".

It said there is a "strong possibility that some of these may be cancelled - particularly in the southwest - in the event of a strong impact by Hurricane Ophelia"

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

"A particularly violent hurricane" ... as opposed to?

Is there any other kind........?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Should the gov issue a general advisory that all business .. if possible .. should remain closed tomorrow? Save a burden on the emergency services & less traffic.

Could save lives, even 1?

Advertisement