Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

antodeco wrote: »
    I work in Carrickmines and even on a low wind day, it's very blustery. All comes down from the mountains. Tomorrow will (well won't really!) be fun

The wind coming down off 3-rock and the Dublin mtns is always stiff.
    Tomorrow will be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

MissMoc wrote: »
    Can I ask, if the track is moving east is it possible that more midland counties could get a red warning?

From what I can see, the Red warnings have been issued only for coastal counties that lie to the East of the storm's path. As it goes more Easterly, chances are the Dublin and Louth will get added to Red (and possibly Kildare) and Mayo may go to Orange. It doesn't look like Midlands counties will go Red, but at this stage, there are such a lot of unknowns that anything could happen over the next 12-15 hours on the warnings front.

Im looking at those latest tracks and am seeing the centre of the storm passing almost right over Lough Ree, so the Midlands will be right on the Easterly edge of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Is Dublin in contention to be added to the red ?

Yes, it is exprected by most and considered bad from that it hasn’t been done already.

sdanseo wrote: »
    It is the calm before the storm.

yeah but wonder why does that happen? Its like the energy is being sucked out of everything, dead calm now,but birds all chirping. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Discussion on tv3 now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Kayly wrote: »
    Nothing from Limerick IT as yet.. surely they will close too?
    Should do the decent thing and close. They should have made a decision a few hours ago. Because there are students out there now not knowing what is happening regarding Limerick IT. This is only creating confusion and unessary worry for all students.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

discussion on tv3 now

aidanodr wrote: »
    Should the gov issue a general advisory that all business .. if possible .. should remain closed tomorrow? Save a burden on the emergency services & less traffic.

Could save lives, even 1?

In many other countries it would be illegal for a for profit business to open in a red warning area. Typical Irish greed will keep things open at least for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I think the track will be close to Dingle - Lahinch - Galway city - just west of Sligo town into eastern Donegal and near Malin Head.

What do you make of the post below yours ? Looks like a big enough shift east ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

My brother is brushing it off. I'm trying to get my parents and sisters to cop on about it. Theyre down in Rosslare. The sisters have started getting things sorted but got a message saying wexford town is mental with people buying food and water.

I'm in Carlow so not as bad but we've still got provisions sorted. My boyfriends parents are not worrying either. He was on the phone trying to convince him mam to get his dad to clear the yArd etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

Can anyone tell me how very South Donegal is faring? I'm just worried about the commute to work with 2 children in tow.

I know we're not red at the moment but orange still seems quite bad to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

GarIT wrote: »
    In many other countries it would be illegal for a for profit business to open in a red warning area. Typical Irish greed will keep things open at least for now.

illegal would it? that should be easily verifiable if true..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

In many other countries it would be illegal for a for profit business to open in a red warning area.

Turns out my one is anyway. Setting up the spare room today in case anyone gets stranded. I'm closeby, but most of the rest aren't.

Madness. I've raised my objections but I can't reach anyone high enough to give a proper earful to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Yes .. I thought that. But in true form as you said GREED by bosses / owners. A casualness .. ah shur you will be grand. And the couldnt give a cr*p about anyone else thing .. Im ok jack

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Speaking to one fella who has a commute to and from Dublin from Wexford.I don't think he grasps just how bad the weather will be tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

what about unprofitable businesses ?Could they open?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Looking increasingly like flooding for us now so in East Galway

lawred2 wrote: »
    illegal would it? that should be easily verifiable if true..

To be fair I am trusting a French poster 2-3 pages back that claimed it is the case in France and other European countries, I didn’t feel the need to question them for proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just got the text ,no school tomorrow, Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

How Do ye reckon Tralee will fair in this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    What do you make of the post below yours ? Looks like a big enough shift east ?

To be absolutely clear: MT is a professional research Climatologist.

I'm some eejit who is fascinated by the weather.

You can figure out yourself whose contributions will be more accurate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

I definitely think the Government should just come out and say that the country is shutting down for the day and only those who truly need to leave the house do. There's far too much uncertainty about how tomorrow will go.

Worse storm in 50 years. Not like it happens every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Things like the emergency services probably come under that, hence the specifying of for-profit/private businesses.

I would guess that charities that deal with vulnerable people, the elderly and homeless etc could open. For profit is not the opposite of unprofitable it is the opposite of charatible or not for profit

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Do met.ie update the website hourly?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

How does monaghan and cavan look

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

To be fair I am trusting a French poster 2-3 pages back that claimed it is the case in France and other European countries, I didn’t feel the need to question them for proof.

well your post read to me as if you were passing it off as first hand information... not second hand

Do you automatically trust everything you read?

I have never heard of such legislation anywhere to be honest... Either way it should be easily verifiable if true..

I bet it isn't though.

I definitely think the Government should just come out and say that the country is shutting down for the day and only those who truly need to leave the house do. There's far too much uncertainty about how tomorrow will go.

Worse storm in 50 years. Not like it happens every year.

They’re hoping it will all blow over 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

The wind coming down off 3-rock and the Dublin mtns is always stiff.
    Tomorrow will be something else.

My office is at the bottom of that in Central Park, i will not be looking forward to sitting in work with all that wind going on around me.
    especially with the cranes and scaffolding around the place.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

pimpmyhat wrote: »
    km79 wrote: »
    Unrelated

Why don't you go for a nice long stroll tomorrow lunchtime preferably along the coast
    That's me finished posting here

The wind today is unrelated not sure why that elicited such an ignorant response

Advertisement