Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Can't understand why some people are being so dismissive.

Why are people so afraid of taking precautions and subsequently being wrong? That's what the vast majority of those taking precautions want the outcome to be - they're just not arrogant enough to presume they know better than met eireann and several media outlets.

Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

The wind coming down off 3-rock and the Dublin mtns is always stiff.
    Tomorrow will be something else.

Used to live in a timber framed apartment at the bottom of the mountains. On a windy day you’d feel the place literally move. Tomorrow would be fairly mental in one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

rameire wrote: »
    My office is at the bottom of that in Central Park, i will not be looking forward to sitting in work with all that wind going on around me.
    especially with the cranes and scaffolding around the place.

Cranes should have been disassembled in any red areas by now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

What can be expected in Tralee. Is there a risk of flooding?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

GarIT wrote:

Like they'd be out to work on a Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

No knowledge of weather but been keeping an eye in here the past few days. How come further up the east coast i.e. Dublin hasn't been upgraded to Red when anything I've seen the past few hours seems to show the outer winds whipping right up the Irish sea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

:cool:
    GarIT wrote: »

Dublin only orange status so be grand apparently.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Hurricane-force winds are
    expected to reach the southern portions of Ireland by Monday
    afternoon and spread inland across the country into Monday night.
    Preparations to protect lives and property should be rushed to
    completion by this afternoon.

Wind speeds atop and on the windward sides of hills and mountains
    are often up to 30 percent stronger than the near-surface winds
    indicated in this advisory, and in some elevated locations could be
    even greater.

RAINFALL: Ophelia is expected to produce rainfall amounts of 2 to
    3 inches (50 mm to 75 mm) with isolated totals near 4 inches (100
    mm) through Tuesday across western Ireland and Scotland. Across
    eastern Ireland, rainfall amounts will average around 1 inch (25 mm)
    or less.

STORM SURGE: A dangerous storm surge is expected to produce
    significant coastal flooding near and to the east of where the
    center of the post-tropical cyclone makes landfall. Near the coast,
    the surge will be accompanied by large and destructive waves.

Anyone not taking it seriously, grow up and take it seriously

:cool:

Dublin only orange status so be grand apparently.

If I owned a crane I still wouldn’t leave it up just in case, it can’t hurt to prepare. Unless you have insurance then it’s win-win right?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If I owned a crane I still wouldn’t leave it up just in case, it can’t hurt to prepare. Unless you have insurance then it’s win-win right?

unless a collapsing crane kills someone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

I think it takes quite a long time (like weeks) to assemble a crane?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Hi all. I have a family member in critical care in St. James hospital. I've been driving his mother over from kimmage every day. I'm very concerned about the drive tomorrow. Up to what time will it be safe to do the drive?

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Lol. There must be near 50 cranes all over Dublin, if not more and they take all day to put up and take down.

You really think any of them are coming down today?

lawred2 wrote: »
    unless a collapsing crane kills someone

That was the point. But say you’re a building contractor and your crane collapses, you’ll probably get a new crane on your insurance and an extra contract to make more money fixing the damage the falling crane did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Two large cranes up where I work at one of the highest points in Cork City (No prizes for guessing where :pac: ) No word yet about expectations for employees tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I was the only one of my neighbors who cleared up their garden today. The people living behind me have decided to leave their cheap super light patio furniture out. I expect it'll be wedged in the garden wall or their patio door by this time tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

mono_mac wrote: »
    How does monaghan and cavan look

O stony grey soil of Monaghan
    The laugh from my love you thieved;
    You took the the gay child of my passion
    And gave me your clod-conceived.

You clogged the feet of my boyhood
    And I believed that my stumble
    Had the poise and stride of Apollo
    And his voice my thick-tongued mumble.

You told me the plough was immortal!
    O green-life-conquering plough!
    Your mandril strained, your coulter blunted
    In the smooth lea-field of my brow.

You sang on steaming dunghills
    A song of coward's brood,
    You perfumed my clothes with weasel itch,
    You fed me on swinish food.

You flung a ditch on my vision
    Of beauty, love and truth.
    O stony grey soil of Monaghan
    You burgled my bank of youth!

Lost the long hours of pleasure
    All the women that love young men.
    O can I still stroke the monster's back
    Or write with unpoisened pen

His name in these lonely verses
    Or mention the dark fields where
    The first gay flight of my lyric
    Got caught in a peasant's prayer.

Mullahinsha, Drummeril, Black Shanco -
    Wherever I turn I see
    In the stony grey soil of Monaghan
    Dead loves that were born for me.

awec wrote: »
    Lol. There must be near 50 cranes all over Dublin, if not more and they take all day to put up and take down.

You really think any of them are coming down today?

They should have known at least 24 hours ago to take them down, I don’t think they are coming down but they should.

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Hi all. I have a family member in critical care in St. James hospital. I've been driving his mother over from kimmage every day. I'm very concerned about the drive tomorrow. Up to what time will it be safe to do the drive?

10PM ish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

galwaybabe wrote: »

Difficult to say. Dublin will start getting seriously windy around 9am or so.

One of the bad things about a windstorm like this in October is that the trees still have most of their leaves, so many more trees will fall than usual, causing many more power outages, road blockages and structural damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Far as I recall from Florida/Miami, those big cranes take a couple of days to disassemble. Without knowing where the storm is coming in, I can see debate on whether it's worth bringing it down or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

My boss called. He doesn't want the staff to risk it so we are off tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I really think the gov should have a mandatory closure of all non essential businesses/services in the red zones for tomorrow. Have my father saying he is going off to work tomorrow. He is a delivery driver, doing the rounds around Cork and Kerry. Very dangerous to be driving in those conditions. But he is unsure what to do as heard nothing from work and still has it in his head that this is being over played and nothing will come of it.

Can't believe there's still no advice from the government. Very few people are taking this seriously and we seem to be completely unprepared, needlessly putting people in danger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Can't believe there's still no advice from the government. Very few people are taking this seriously and we seem to be completely unprepared, needlessly putting people in danger.

Will or should the govt compensate employers for letting their staff off however?
    And how could the govt tell some of those multinational Pharma plants in Cork to shut?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Calm before the storm. The best moment to go out and do some preparations. ;)

430670.jpg

430671.jpg

430672.jpg

430673.jpg

430674.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I really think the gov should have a mandatory closure of all non essential businesses/services in the red zones for tomorrow. Have my father saying he is going off to work tomorrow. He is a delivery driver, doing the rounds around Cork and Kerry. Very dangerous to be driving in those conditions. But he is unsure what to do as heard nothing from work and still has it in his head that this is being over played and nothing will come of it.

My father is the same. He thinks RTE are overhyping it. Facepalm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Donal55 wrote: »
    Will or should the govt compensate employers for letting their staff off however?
    And how could the govt tell some of those multinational Pharma plants in Cork to shut?

Mate of mine works in one such, they've been told to stay away tmw....

Donal55 wrote: »

They shouldn’t compensate. They can broadcast it on the news radio etc, word would get out quick enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sheepers

Would I be mad to go to work tomorrow? I'm in Cork City but need to take 2 buses to get to work, so about a 1 hour commute.

Problem it sounds like it won't get bad until the afternoon, so if I phone in at 8am and it's just a bit windy I'll feel like a pleb. Don't fancy getting stuck in that on the way home though.

Advertisement