Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Honestly, it’s utterly weird. I was in a Woodies DIY in Cork and people were standing around buying torches and lamps and batteries all kind of confused as to whether it would be bad or not.

There are wheelie bins going out as per normal all over the city! They’ll be an absolute mess on Monday evening and I have my doubts that they’ll be collected.

The bin providers have app push messages and text alerts. They should be proactive and alert people that the service is going to be postponed and to tie their bin lids shut and keep them in a sheltered area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

A lot of people think it is being over played/hyped. Just back from from sisters who's on holiday put the garden furniture away and secured pots and sh1t. Went over to the other sister to give a hand but they seem to think its just going to be a stiff breeze. No convincing them! So I took their candles and board games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Delta2113

If in Dublin you see cranes rotating don't be alarmed they are designed this way. You might see Varadkar on the Nine News - big call to make. An American city would have no problem declaring a curfew. We are just not used to this kind off an event here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

sheepers wrote: »
    Would I be mad to go to work tomorrow? I'm in Cork City but need to take 2 buses to get to work, so about a 1 hour commute.

Problem it sounds like it won't get bad until the afternoon, so if I phone in at 8am and it's just a bit windy I'll feel like a pleb. Don't fancy getting stuck in that on the way home though.

Yes, you would be mad, I don’t have it in front of me but I thought in the technical analysis thread they were saying it will make land in Cork in the early morning around or before sunrise.

The guy in the DIY place seemed to think we were all mad buying our candles and batteries!

• Advertisement

Donal55 wrote: »
    Will or should the govt compensate employers for letting their staff off however?
    And how could the govt tell some of those multinational Pharma plants in Cork to shut?

Quite frankly that's not the employees' problem, safety should be the No.1 priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Any idea if the trains will run dublin to limerick. Im afraid i will get there in the morning anď no get back.... i dont want to get stranded there! Scary ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shafty100

it very possible for a tower crane to collapse in extreme high winds if the slew brake is left on but very rare once the slew brake is off and the jib can rotate freely in the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

I can only imagine the logistical nightmare ahead of the staff at fota wildlife park..... how do you secure a giraffe?

Make sure you get cash!!
    There’s a fair possibility of communications disruption, especially outside the cities and big towns. So you might not be able to easily pay by card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I can only imagine the logistical nightmare ahead of the staff at fota wildlife park..... how do you secure a giraffe?

That...is a good question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Can't believe there's still no advice from the government.

Simon Coveney and Richard Bruton have both sounded off. They're two of the more prominent members of Cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Can't believe there's still no advice from the government. Very few people are taking this seriously and we seem to be completely unprepared, needlessly putting people in danger.

http://www.housing.gov.ie/local-government/fire-and-emergency-management/statement-national-emergency-coordination-group

Statement from the National Emergency Coordination Group on Severe Weather
    - All unnecessary travel should be avoided on Monday, while the storm is passing..

- Don’t travel in Red level warning areas during the height of the storm unless absolutely necessary, and take due care if travelling in all other areas. Listen to local radio and national media broadcasts regarding the current weather situation.

So there ye have it. Doesnt get any clearer than this. Pretty much stating country, especially red areas, should just close down / not open tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

If it turns out as bad as we're saying or worse, the one silver lining I'd like to come out of this (obviously alongside no casualties or damage) would be end of the "sure it'll be grand " attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Anyone know how safe it would be driving from Tipperary to Cork for 7am. Literally the only two days of the year I really cant miss.

SATSUMA wrote: »
    Any idea if the trains will run dublin to limerick. Im afraid i will get there in the morning anď no get back.... i dont want to get stranded there! Scary ðŸ˜

Delays and/or cancellations are expected on trains tomorrow, we won’t know which until it happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

What are the odds on the obligatory shots of fools walking along the North Wall or Dun Laoghaire harbour at the height of the storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

sheepers wrote: »
    Would I be mad to go to work tomorrow? I'm in Cork City but need to take 2 buses to get to work, so about a 1 hour commute.

Problem it sounds like it won't get bad until the afternoon, so if I phone in at 8am and it's just a bit windy I'll feel like a pleb. Don't fancy getting stuck in that on the way home though.

Bus eireann won't operate when there's a red warning in place.

fxotoole wrote: »
    Simon Coveney and Richard Bruton have both sounded off. They're two of the more prominent members of Cabinet.

There has been no official advice on what the general public should do tomorrow. Do we stay in, or go to work and risk being stranded later? Seems a no brainer in the 'red' counties, but what about Dublin which is still orange? The east coast is expected to be hit hard in the afternoon.

• Advertisement

Anyone know how safe it would be driving from Tipperary to Cork for 7am. Literally the only two days of the year I really cant miss.

You should go as soon as possible or not at all.
    Definitely do not travel during the peak of the storm. You’re putting yourself and also others who might have to use those roads for emergency reasons at risk!

If you have to go go as early as you can, 5 or even 6am would be safer. It could be lethal, it could just be a very strong wind, we will know tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

This is literally the one day you should miss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

From here forward ANYONE who asks similar Qs to above JUST LOOK AT THIS and make up your own mind:

http://www.housing.gov.ie/local-government/fire-and-emergency-management/statement-national-emergency-coordination-group

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

What are the peak hours for the storm?

The lack of solid advice just shows how incompetent the Irish authorities actually are. If this were France or the US or even the UK, I would be sure there would be very clear advice going out regularly on all media outlets.

This place at times looks like there’s nobody really running it.

This is basically just abandoning people to go figure stuff out on google!

There has been no official advice on what the general public should do tomorrow. Do we stay in, or go to work and risk being stranded later? Seems a no brainer in the 'red' counties, but what about Dublin which is still orange? The east coast is expected to be hit hard in the afternoon.

There has been. In red areas don’t travel except in emergency circumstances, in orange areas take extreme caution and do not travel if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The lack of a red warning for Dublin is a little surprising given the criteria for some other counties that are currently red.

I guess this is down to commercial considerations.

aidanodr wrote: »

So there ye have it. Doesnt get any clearer than this. Pretty much stating country, especially red areas, should just close down / not open tomorrow

But what constitutes unnecessary travel? If it includes travel to work, then the Govt should advise businesses to close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I expressed a hope yesterday that RTÉ needed to step up their game today in terms of getting the message out that this is of an order above the type of storms we get in this country, as I feared the consequences otherwise.

Well, as it stands, I don't think they've done enough to make people realise the serious potential of this weather event.

We are a matter of hours away from this bearing down on us. They have a small window of time to get the message out. The 6 and 9 news is their latest chance really. Talk about cutting it fine...

I have to hope that the message has got through to the general population but I fear it hasn't.

Advertisement