Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

JonnyM wrote: »
    What are the peak hours for the storm?

Depends on where you are 8am - 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I expressed a hope yesterday that RTÉ needed to step up their game today in terms of getting the message out that this is of an order above the type of storms we get in this country, as I feared the consequences otherwise.

A simple rolling information strip at the bottom of the screen would be a cheap and cheerful way of getting out information.

Flying Fox wrote: »
    But what constitutes unnecessary travel? If it includes travel to work, then the Govt should advise businesses to close.

Any travel which is not done for saving your life. If your destination is not A&E or to help a relative in difficulty don’t drive.

I think everyone here agrees on that they should advise businesses to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Delta2113

The lack of a red warning for Dublin is a little surprising given the criteria for some other counties that are currently red.

I guess this is down to commercial considerations.

Dublin chamber of commerce silence is deafening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I think it takes quite a long time (like weeks) to assemble a crane?

My office has scaffolding all around it....not looking forward to going into work!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

How long is it expected to last on the west coast does anyone know ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

UCC to close tomorrow.

GarIT wrote: »
    Any travel which is not done for saving your life. If your destination is not A&E or to help a relative in difficulty don’t drive.

I get that, but I doubt the majority of employers in Dublin will unless they are specifically told to close for the day. Which is why I think the Govt needs to give some direction on this. It puts the employees who want to stay home but are expected to go to work in a bad situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Dublin chamber of commerce silence is deafening.

http://www.dubchamber.ie/

https://dublincity.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Just a reminder tv3 news is on in a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

My boss called. He doesn't want the staff to risk it so we are off tomorrow

Where you working? (As in county :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

A simple rolling information strip at the bottom of the screen would be a cheap and cheerful way of getting out information.

We also have a brilliant network of local radio stations and all they need to do is keep informing them.

Also maybe an Irish emergency Twitter and Facebook feed ?!

A live blog ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

I expressed a hope yesterday that RTÉ needed to step up their game today in terms of getting the message out that this is of an order above the type of storms we get in this country, as I feared the consequences otherwise.

Well, as it stands, I don't think they've done enough to make people realise the serious potential of this weather event.

We are a matter of hours away from this bearing down on us. They have a small window of time to get the message out. The 6 and 9 news is their latest chance really. Talk about cutting it fine...

I have to hope that the message has got through to the general population but I fear it hasn't.

To be fair, the warning on the RTE1 lunchtime News/Weather forecast with Joanna Donnelly was quite stark - the message was "this is happening and you need to prepare for it now".

I don't remember seeing a weather forecast like that in Ireland before.

I'd expect more of the same again this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

We really need a proper 24 hour news channel

Flying Fox wrote: »
    I get that, but I doubt the majority of employers in Dublin will unless they are specifically told to close for the day. Which is why I think the Govt needs to give some direction on this. It puts the employees who want to stay home but are expected to go to work in a bad situation.

I’ve been advising people to contact fellow employees to arrange a strike for tomorrow if the business has not closed. Especially the ones that don’t have to travel far, ask them to consider the people who do have to travel and participate in not going to work so everyone doesn’t show up rather than some people not showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

thomasj wrote: »

Just interrupt scheduled programming like. It's not difficult for them to sort the stuff and get information out, they're just incompetent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

GarIT wrote: »
    Cranes should have been disassembled in any red areas by now

Looking at crane right now plus a multitude of scaffolding, less than 100mtrs from my house, no activity on site today, seems negligent to me.

How long is it expected to last on the west coast does anyone know ?

Depends on what you mean by it, strong winds, 12hrs -16hrs maybe, the strongest of the winds 30mins - 2hrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

thomasj wrote: »

We probably don’t as they all struggle to make any kind of money, even in huge markets. The likes of Sky News for example isn’t even profitable, it’s more about lending legitimacy to Sky as a brand.

The state needs an emergency communication unit with representatives in all 5 cities who can step up to keeping media informed. They could be a senior county council, fire services, Garda or any other role normally but should take over strategic comms during something like this.

Every region should have a go-to person for getting this kind of information out to the media.

It’s also not once in a lifetime stuff. Cork for example has regular risks with flooding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

Where you working? (As in county :D)
    Carlow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Hi all. I have a family member in critical care in St. James hospital. I've been driving his mother over from kimmage every day. I'm very concerned about the drive tomorrow. Up to what time will it be safe to do the drive?

I'd be trying to get back home by early afternoon if possible.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

We don't need a 24 hour news station

We need the state broadcaster to interrupt repeats in favour of a rolling news service, even a ticket on the bottom. The lack of coverage is getting beyond a joke now, yesterday was one thing but today is another

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

TV3 seem to be the only ones taking it seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

titan18 wrote: »
    Just interrupt scheduled programming like. It's not difficult for them to sort the stuff and get information out, they're just incompetent

Its a Sunday! There haven't even been hourly news bulletins on Radio One all afternoon because it will interrupt Gaa commentary.

I have a house with a roof on, windows are in the top floor. There are no windows in the bottom floor and large holes left where they will shortly be installed. I'm in an exposed site.

do i need to consider boarding up all these windows. ???

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I'd be trying to get back home by early afternoon if possible.

Afternoon might not be safe to drive depending on the path the hurricane takes, you should be home by morning and not go out until night if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

joujoujou wrote: »
    Calm before the storm. The best moment to go out and do some preparations. ;)

430670.jpg

430671.jpg

430672.jpg

430673.jpg

430674.jpg

Just putting these things upside down or lying flat is not preparedness. You are supposed to store those items indoors or in a shed. If you are in a windy area, thats sh1t will be blown all over the place and could be dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭jirafa

Sun 15th Oct 2017.................. Farming weather.

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/farming-weather-3260/10789791/

I have a house with a roof on, windows are in the top floor. There are no windows in the bottom floor and large holes left where they will shortly be installed. I'm in an exposed site.

do i need to consider boarding up all these windows. ???

In a red area the winds could lift the roof off if enough of it can get in to catch it as would with no windows.

You need to consider staying with a relative tonight and coming back Monday night or Tuesday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

titan18 wrote:

Are you feeling uninformed?

Advertisement