Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

People need to take some personal responsibility. The facts are there, form a opinion and make a descision. Asking strangers on message boards if you should drive or go to work is pretty stupid.

Most people dont hesitate to call in if they are hungover or have a cold. If your in the red zone stay at home and have a beer, unless of course your job is necessary in such circumstances and you need to be in work. Nothing is worth fluting about in that weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

LIT also closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Where are IBEC, SFA etc ..other business associations in media? Where are the chambers of commerce in media? Especially in red zones?

Silence is deafening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Just putting these things upside down or lying flat is not preparedness. You are supposed to store those items indoors or in a shed. If you are in a windy area, thats sh1t will be blown all over the place and could be dangerous.

Id say that yoke on springs will start doing damage once it gets launched tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

aidanodr wrote: »
    Where are IBEC, SFA etc ..other business associations? Where are the chambers of commerce? Especially in red zones?

Silence is deafening

Not on boards anyway, send them a message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dropzone

jirafa wrote: »
    Sun 15th Oct 2017.................. Farming weather.

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/farming-weather-3260/10789791/

Can't even watch it on a phone or tablet without downloading the RTE player app. RTE really frustrates me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I have a house with a roof on, windows are in the top floor. There are no windows in the bottom floor and large holes left where they will shortly be installed. I'm in an exposed site.

do i need to consider boarding up all these windows. ???

I'd be asking my engineer / contractor for their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I have a house with a roof on, windows are in the top floor. There are no windows in the bottom floor and large holes left where they will shortly be installed. I'm in an exposed site.

The windows might be ok but I'd be blocking those holes without windows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

flaneur wrote: »
    We also have a brilliant network of local radio stations and all they need to do is keep informing them.

Also maybe an Irish emergency Twitter and Facebook feed ?!

A live blog ?

https://twitter.com/emergencyIE

The windows might be ok but I'd be blocking those holes without windows

I was thinking it might be better to let it blow through the house instead of blocking it.
    Or do i need to go the whole hog and plywood it up ?????

Roofer is advising to let it blow through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gerry Fleming on the BBC.

Always knew he'd make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

First Up wrote: »
    Are you feeling uninformed?

Me, no. The retards who make decisions like employers etc clearly are. Schools in Cork still haven't been told if they're closed or not, and nothing about businesses. I'll be fine getting to work, as it's a duel carriageway 90% of the way, but I've got colleagues coming from the complete back of beyonds who won't be, and nothing has come out from management that there's an issue. Of course, they're hardly going to be on here, so are completely reliant on RTE taking this with seriousness

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

TV3 forecaster sounded like he was going to say something like "Time to stop f**king around and take this serious" . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

spookwoman wrote: »
    TV3 seem to be the only ones taking it seriously

and that's why people aren't taking this hurricane business seriously :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

If you live in some derelict building better move to some homeless shelter until the storm passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Just putting these things upside down or lying flat is not preparedness. You are supposed to store those items indoors or in a shed. If you are in a windy area, thats sh1t will be blown all over the place and could be dangerous.

I really want to see 70 kg heavy structure of welded DMFs flying. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Any idea as to whether it would be foolish to get the galway to Dublin train to work in morn ? Get on in athlone at 6.30am, train home is 6.15pm

Don't want to be stranded

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

SOme predict cloudy with a chance of meatballs, some say hurricane force winds. Why is this still up in the air when its only hours away ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I was thinking it might be better to let it blow through the house instead of blocking it.

Not an engineer but won't the wind if strong enough take the roof off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

titan18 wrote: »
    Me, no. The retards who make decisions like employers etc clearly are. Schools in Cork still haven't been told if they're closed or not, and nothing about businesses. I'll be fine getting to work, as it's a duel carriageway 90% of the way, but I've got colleagues coming from the complete back of beyonds who won't be, and nothing has come out from management that there's an issue. Of course, they're hardly going to be on here, so are completely reliant on RTE taking this with seriousness

All schools in red zones are closed by the dept of education tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

titan18 wrote: »

A duel carriageway sounds pretty bad to me

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    If you live in some derelict building better move to some homeless shelter until the storm passes.

No place like home.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

Flying Fox wrote: »
    There has been no official advice on what the general public should do tomorrow. Do we stay in, or go to work and risk being stranded later? Seems a no brainer in the 'red' counties, but what about Dublin which is still orange? The east coast is expected to be hit hard in the afternoon.

Do you need to be told every move to make by the Gov? A status red weather alert is in place and and the Gov through Dept of Housing has advised against any non-essential travel tomorrow. Can't get any clearer than that. And in regards for status Orange areas, you're an adult. Make up your own mind if it's worth the risk of travel.Folks need to start taking responsibility for their own actions and stop blaming the gov/authorities for stupid decisions they make.

Not an engineer but won't the wind if strong enough take the roof off?

Roofer is saying not to block it. There is hollowcore between floors so that will take the impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Roofer is advising to let it blow through.

I'd try to isolate the top floor from ground floor, if possible.

I.e. board up the stairwell so that the wind can freely play havoc downstairs without creating pressure or vacuum to affect the top floor/roof

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Any idea as to whether it would be foolish to get the galway to Dublin train to work in morn ?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

The ultimately sad thing here is that due to the incompetency of the authorities, people will die.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

All schools in red zones are closed by the dept of education tomorrow.

The red zones are all wrong on some charts though.

• Advertisement

Roofer is saying not to block it. There is hollowcore between floors so that will take the impact.

More work for the roofer on Tuesday I suppose.

Advertisement