Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

All schools in red zones are closed by the dept of education tomorrow.

They were told to act on advice to close. There's no official message out from the schools yet that they should actually close. My mom is staff in one here and still hasn't been told if closed or not.

I'd assume they will be, but it's seriously ****ty planning that they haven't messaged out yet. I'm guessing the principal was at the football final here and isn't bothered til after that

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

SOme predict cloudy with a chance of meatballs, some say hurricane force winds. Why is this still up in the air when its only hours away ??

These systems are fairly well understood but still throw up surprises all the time. The whole nature of this weather system is unusual. The expectation is that the system will weaken somewhat before it hits land but there is no perfect understanding what the magnitude of it will be.

There is also a balance to be struck with communicating required action both in the short term and longer term. In the short term, inaccuracies mean the wrong people take the wrong actions. In the long term, trust in forecasts and "listening to the authorities" erodes.

rebel456 wrote: »
    Do you need to be told every move to make by the Gov? A status red weather alert is in place and and the Gov through Dept of Housing has advised against any non-essential travel tomorrow. Can't get any clearer than that. Folks need to start taking responsibility for their own actions and stop blaming the gov/authorities for stupid decisions they make.

If they advised businesses to close it would give people some certainty and give some cover from employers who are not taking this as seriously as they should be. I did say I'm talking about the orange alert areas like Dublin, it's a no brainer in the red areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dropzone

TV3 are doing well getting the message out, taking up the most of their half hour coverage. RTE had a quick less than 5 minute bulletin at 1 o'clock. Radio 1 has been very poor just quick bulletin followed by talking about politics. Sky News have a live reporter on the Cork coast. Hopefully RTE are more serious at 6 o'clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

bbc will have something later on in the news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

titan18 wrote: »
    They were told to act on advice to close. There's no official message out from the schools yet that they should actually close. My mom is staff in one here and still hasn't been told if closed or not.

I'd assume they will be, but it's seriously ****ty planning that they haven't messaged out yet. I'm guessing the principal was at the football final here and isn't bothered til after that

The minister for education has said all schools in read areas are closed no exceptions. Maybe the principal hasn’t gotten a call from the DoE yet, but they are closed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well RTE weather just now spent more time on weather in Eastern Europe and Spain than here at home but they did at least get the message that action should be taken

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    The ultimately sad thing here is that due to the incompetency of the authorities, people will die.

Warnings have been given for days. What do you expect the authorities to do? Come out to every home in the country and batten down the hatches for them? Or give warnings and hope people have enough cop on to do so for themselves and their families?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Does anyone know what time it is to start tomorrow morning in North Kerry, my husband will need to milk the cows but I wud prefer if he left them for d morning, I hate storms

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

joujoujou wrote: »
    I really want to see 70 kg heavy structure of welded DMFs flying. :P

I dont know what you're referring to, but you might well find your carefully placed garden furniture/ ornaments/ pots/ trellis'/ BBQ in a new place on Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sooo, will Teresa be out again this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

titan18 wrote:
    Me, no. The retards who make decisions like employers etc clearly are. Schools in Cork still haven't been told if they're closed or not, and nothing about businesses. I'll be fine getting to work, as it's a duel carriageway 90% of the way, but I've got colleagues coming from the complete back of beyonds who won't be, and nothing has come out from management that there's an issue. Of course, they're hardly going to be on here, so are completely reliant on RTE taking this with seriousness

Schools in Red zones were told to close hours ago. Its up to individual businesses to tell their employees if they are open or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭i8mancs

titan18 wrote: »
    Me, no. The retards who make decisions like employers etc clearly are. Schools in Cork still haven't been told if they're closed or not, and nothing about businesses. I'll be fine getting to work, as it's a duel carriageway 90% of the way, but I've got colleagues coming from the complete back of beyonds who won't be, and nothing has come out from management that there's an issue. Of course, they're hardly going to be on here, so are completely reliant on RTE taking this with seriousness

Can guarantee you one thing every Dunnes Stores in areas affected will expect their staff in no matter what, no excuses

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Well RTE weather just now spent more time on weather in Eastern Europe and Spain than here at home but they did at least get the message that action should be taken

Well it is the European forecast. There should be much more focus in the Irish forecast after the news.

Roofer is saying not to block it.

Is he paying for any damage or getting paid for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

rebel456 wrote: »
    Do you need to be told every move to make by the Gov? A status red weather alert is in place and and the Gov through Dept of Housing has advised against any non-essential travel tomorrow. Can't get any clearer than that. And in regards for status Orange areas, you're an adult. Make up your own mind if it's worth the risk of travel.Folks need to start taking responsibility for their own actions and stop blaming the gov/authorities for stupid decisions they make.

In fairness, employers in many areas are open tomorrow and staff are expected into work. I'm in Cork and my place is open tomorrow. Not showing up to work can have serious ramifications for people.

By having no clear policy there will be people who will feel they must travel tomorrow to get to work and that is a very dangerous situation. Authorities should direct that everything non urgent should close tomorrow especially in red zones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Henwin wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time it is to start tomorrow morning in North Kerry, my husband will need to milk the cows but I wud prefer if he left them for d morning, I hate storms

Forecast is after getting much better from kinsale west now. Still a brutal day. It seems to be hitting a few hours later west now as also. It was from 4am on but will be in daylight now.

First Up wrote: »
    Schools in Red zones were told to close hours ago. Its up to individual businesses to tell their employees if they are open or not.

Companies will wait on Met Eireann and Government statements before doing anything. Even then they'll probably have a debate about it internally for a while first.

I work for a MNC which is usually fairly proactive on this stuff, but not a peep today.. reckon they're waiting on the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

Flying Fox wrote: »
    If they advised businesses to close it would give people some certainty and give some cover from employers who are not taking this as seriously as they should be. I did say I'm talking about the orange alert areas like Dublin, it's a no brainer in the red areas.

Many businesses in the red area have taken the decision to close, if you're business has not then it's your choice as an employee whether to go to work or not. Let them sanction you for not showing up... you'd likely get a nice settlement in the courts. You're an adult, decide for yourself based on the predictions.

In regards to Orange alert areas the predictions are obviously for less impact. You decide if you wish to travel. Don't wait to be told to by the Gov. Take responsibility for your own decisions based on best available advice from Met Eireann etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Will there be much impact in Dublin? Not much at all according to news/weather reports.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Rte 1 news now

Henwin wrote: »

Start, depends on what you mean, the winds will be picking up from 2am ish, the storm will make landfall at 6am ish I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Companies will wait on Met Eireann and Government statements before doing anything. Even then they'll probably have a debate about it internally for a while first.

I work for a MNC which is usually fairly proactive on this stuff, but not a peep today.. reckon they're waiting on the above.

What further statements are expected and when? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,140 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Finally a decent report on Rte 6 one news.

Well it is the European forecast. There should be much more focus in the Irish forecast after the news.

I'd have expected them to defer their Euro forecast given the circumstances tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Serious focus on the storm on RTE News now, thank god. "This is a life-threatening event"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

joujoujou wrote: »
    Calm before the storm. The best moment to go out and do some preparations. ;)

430671.jpg

At least you are doing something. Many are doing nothing.

Just joking, but it looks like someone was murdered up against your back wall. :D

MidMan25 wrote: »
    What further statements are expected and when? :confused:

Until Dublin is effectively declared a no go tomorrow, many of these companies will wait and see I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Until Dublin is effectively declared a no go tomorrow, many of these companies will wait and see I reckon.

The east coast of Dublin is going to take one hell of a smack

Don't care if my daughters school is open or not. She's not going in end of story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Stay high and stay dry. giphy.gif

Advertisement