Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

namloc1980 wrote: »
    In fairness, employers in many areas are open tomorrow and staff are expected into work. I'm in Cork and my place is open tomorrow. Not showing up to work can have serious ramifications for people.

By having no clear policy there will be people who will feel they must travel tomorrow to get to work and that is a very dangerous situation. Authorities should direct that everything non urgent should close tomorrow especially in red zones.

The decision to travel tomorrow is made by you alone leaving the house. You decide if it's worth the risk. Leo Varadkar isn't gonna be doing that for you. No doubt many who take a day off tomorrow will still try leave the house anyway for whatever reason.

Vast majority of employers see a Red Alert weather warning as a legit reason for not coming in. If you're employer is a total a$$ and punishes you then take a claim against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

Stay safe over there --- we're going to get the tail end of it on the coast here in Pembrokeshire .
    Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 13,158 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I work in a MNC in the middle of west cork. Not a hint of Being closed tomorrow..have no option but to go in tomorrow.
    meanwhile another one i used to work for has decided that if you can, work from home.
    The difference in attitudes is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dropzone

I wouldn't believe anything of that website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Can anyone else confirm that all schools are closed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sparks43 wrote: »
    The east coast of Dublin is going to take one hell of a smack

Don't care if my daughters school is open or not. She's not going in end of story

Keeping mine home as well. Have advised their schools but got no reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

All schools are not closed.
    Schools in Red areas are advised to remain closed.
    School passenger transport in red areas will not run (which is moot as the schools on those areas are closed).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

All schools in the red zone are closed I heard on the wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

dropzone wrote: »
    I wouldn't believe anything of that website.

Is that updated news or just bad journalism?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Haven't heard a tap from Dublin City Council at all on Ophelia, heard other councils in Dublin are likewise.
    The response is really very poor and even in Status Orange areas, there are going to be a lot of people caught out dealing with damage to property and if they travel, to have to deal with difficulties getting to / from places. I just hope there are not going to be too many injuries or fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I work in a MNC in the middle of west cork. Not a hint of Being closed tomorrow..have no option but to go in tomorrow.
    meanwhile another one i used to work for has decided that if you can, work from home.

Call in an air strike 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

No. My daughter's school just advises people to travel carefully, and reminds us that cycling may be dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Only those in the red warning zones every where else to make own decisions..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

MetEireann tweeted at 5.12 the latest guidance map from the National Hurricane Centre and said to note that times are AST, so add 5 hours for Irish time. Map in their tweet has storm hitting SW coast at 8am so surely that is Irish time???? #confusing

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Haven't heard a tap from Dublin City Council at all on Ophelia, heard other councils in Dublin are likewise.
    The response is really very poor and even in Status Orange areas, there are going to be a lot of people caught out dealing with damage to property and if they travel, to have to deal with difficulties getting to / from places. I just hope there are not going to be too many injuries or fatalities.

Fingal have been sending out regular alerts via text and email once you sign up to their alerting service you get everything for your area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Hitting Kerry at 6AM aprox.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dropzone

Is that updated news or just bad journalism?

No such thing as journalism on that website. One person looks after it. Just creates headlines for click-bate ad revenue and to push his own views.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/ccc-nuacht-considering-position-over-leo-sherlock-apology-1.3153446?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

Any word on government departments closing for civil servants?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure you can't be forced to go into work under the threat of disciplinary action when such severe weather warnings are officially in place.

You should name the MNC that is forcing it's workers to throw caution to the wind and endanger themselves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Countyfile on bbc having a piece on the 1987 storm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Using the drop-down on this site to select 'wind gusts', these look particularly severe in the East. Am very surprised the red warning hasnt been extended to Dublin, or the country as a whole really.

[Url=]https://www.ventusky.com/?p=52.92;-8.11;6&l=gust&t=20171016/17[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure you can't be forced to go into work under the threat of disciplinary action when such severe weather warnings are officially in place.

You should name the MNC that is forcing it's workers to throw caution to the wind and endanger themselves!

I think it’s more the silence from the MNCs. I’m sure if you rang in, and said you could get in, it would be fine. But they don’t encourage it with their silence, meaning people feel like they have to go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

titan18 wrote: »
    Me, no. The retards who make decisions like employers etc clearly are. Schools in Cork still haven't been told if they're closed or not, and nothing about businesses. I'll be fine getting to work, as it's a duel carriageway 90% of the way, but I've got colleagues coming from the complete back of beyonds who won't be, and nothing has come out from management that there's an issue. Of course, they're hardly going to be on here, so are completely reliant on RTE taking this with seriousness

You won't be fine if you're driving along side a truck in a crosswind. Before these warnings escalated my reason for keeping me daughter at home was because I wasn't going near an exposed dual carriageway which is full of trucks in the morning. Be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Will there be much impact in Dublin? Not much at all according to news/weather reports.

Dublin is included in the status orange wind warning.

"Mean wind speeds between 65 and 80 km/h with gusts between 110 and 130km/h are expected."

110 - 130km/h gusts are violent storm to hurricane force.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭sjb25

I think it’s more the silence from the MNCs. I’m sure if you rang in, and said you could get in, it would be fine. But they don’t encourage it with their silence, meaning people feel like they have to go in.

Then you get sh1thole call centres like this they have a site in Wexford and Waterford and are fully open tomorrow
    I used to work for these shower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Full Marx wrote: »
    Any word on government departments closing for civil servants?

Was in touch with my boss earlier. No word ! We have scaffolding around our building thanks to the OPW:)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

WARNING TO STAY AWAY FROM CLIFFS
    Poor Cliff will have no one to talk to tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

We are in an orange alert county and we are open for business, however some schools are shut.

That article is badly written.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

I work for SME roofing business in Cork. One of us contacted the boss in regards to alternative plans for tomorrow because of a knock on effect going in to Tuesday, he didn't even reply.

Advertisement