Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Full Marx wrote: »
    Any word on government departments closing for civil servants?

I take it you are one. No, why would they? Many civil and public service orgs will be part of the emergency response.

Unlike the schools and the safety risk to kids, employees in jobs are grown ups (in age at any rate) who can decide for themselves the relative risk of making a journey to work in their own area. If they have to take a leave day or work back the time, so be it.

By the way, I never heard so much cr@p in my life that "because of the incompetency of the authorities, people will die". Short of inventing a super weapon to dissipate the storm system, the authorities are doing what they can - preparing, organising resources and warning the public of real danger through every possible channel. Have people become so incapable and dependent that they cant take steps to secure their own safety and property when fairly warned??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

brownian wrote: »
    No. My daughter's school just advises people to travel carefully, and reminds us that cycling may be dodgy.

http://www.housing.gov.ie/local-government/fire-and-emergency-management/statement-national-emergency-coordination-group

No cycle day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

No word about Waterford IT being open or closed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

If a lot of our staff decide not to travel in tomorrow it will be a nightmare - that's the risk of leaving things to personal decisions. We are in an orange zone but majority have very long commutes from Laois/Offaly/Wesmeath/Longford/Louth to Dublin. I'm not worried about getting in but about getting home. During snow, and the time the M50 was closed due to fatal accident, we have had situations where it's one teacher per 100 students for a couple of hours in the morning.I am dreading that that could be the case tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mr.S wrote: »
    Same here (Dublin CC) - they’re usually straight onto us about the lightest of things that might impact traveling to and from work, yet not a peep. I’d say they’re waiting until early tomorrow morning before sending any comma out.

Most of the office who have longer commutes are just going to stay at home anyway, not worth the risk getting stranded in the evening.
    I think it’s more the silence from the MNCs. I’m sure if you rang in, and said you could get in, it would be fine. But they don’t encourage it with their silence, meaning people feel like they have to go in.

I texted the person responsible for making the call in our place a few mins ago to make sure they're aware and see what the plan is. Comms to go out shortly.

I'll be working from home anyway, but worth checking with whoever makes those decisions in your places if ye can - if only to put it on their radar if it isn't already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,140 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

All counties mabey included in Red warning. updates later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

All courts cancelled tomorrow. Can't put the crims at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Roofer is saying not to block it. There is hollowcore between floors so that will take the impact.

What did he say are the disadvantages to blocking it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Joanna saying they may issue a red warning for the country later!
    I have no brown underpants!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I was just out getting batteries and a power pack. Lot of people round my way have a lot of Halloween decorations up. be in tatters come Tuesday. Can ya imagine looking out your window and seeing a gravestone go flying by. Would make you think its worse than the forecast that's for sure :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,459 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

You will have tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Full Marx wrote: »
    Any word on government departments closing for civil servants?

I'm HSE frontline (but not nursing type front line). In red weather warning area. Where I work has been closed, but apparently the health centres are not officially closed (yet), but appts will be cancelled and if staff don't feel it is safe to travel they can stay home.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

She's coming across very well I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

But where does it end if they issue a alert for people not to go to work what happens when nurses and doctors etc don’t turn up to staff hospitals etc . They have to get in there cars in the morning and go to work regardless of any weather that is out there . What about the paramedics etc who have to drive in this weather they just can’t not turn up to work . I am a front line worker in a red zone that will have to travel to work at peak time in the morning when this is to hit . The option is not there not to turn up for work .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This on the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Once in a lifetime event. Just issue the country wide red warning and keep people safe. 'We might issue one later' so that it makes it almost impossible for people to plan ahead properly for the morning. The mind boggles at the ineptitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Joanna seemed rattled. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,140 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Fantastic forecast! well done Joanna! lets hope people spent time today securing property etc .... darkness is upon us now .... now cast situation from here on in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

alibab wrote:
    But where does it end if they issue a alert for people not to go to work what happens when nurses and doctors etc don’t turn up to staff hospitals etc . They have to get in there cars in the morning and go to work regardless of any weather that is out there . What about the paramedics etc who have to drive in this weather they just can’t not turn up to work . I am a front line worker in a red zone that will have to travel to work at peak time in the morning when this is to hit . The option is not there not to turn up for work .

It is for people in other areas though. No reason my office needs to be open tomorrow. If someone is going to be ringing about their health insurance tomorrow, they need their heads examined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

mel.b wrote: »
    I'm HSE frontline (but not nursing type front line). In red weather warning area. Where I work has been closed, but apparently the health centres are not officially closed (yet), but appts will be cancelled and if staff don't feel it is safe to travel they can stay home.

Frontline is frontline as in necessary and vital they can’t just not turn up for work . There is no option for nurses etc to be told to stay at home if they don’t feel safe . Hospitals have to be staffed .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Joanna hinting other areas could see RED Warning yet

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/919616988921716736

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭cml387

Essentially met Eireann's advice is, unless you have to, don't go out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

sjb25 wrote: »
    Then you get sh1thole call centres like this they have a site in Wexford and Waterford and are fully open tomorrow
    I used to work for these shower

A lot of people USED TO work for them,they don't care about their staff.What would happen if a tree fell on somebody travelling there just because bosses are worried that some eejit needs help to use their iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭sjb25

alibab wrote: »

I'm a paramedic yes we all have to travel as do all frontline essential services but I think having non essential staff traveling is just ridiculous as I posted eishtec a call centre are saying we are fully open like its to be proud of they are being silly

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Just got another text saying to turn up for work tomorrow in Dublin.
    I think if anyone is injured or dies that the lack of the government taking charge is going to be the reason. The should red alert the entire country to stop people travelling to work tomorrow.
    As it is you will get into work and then be in the thick of it driving home.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I take it you are one. No, why would they? Many civil and public service orgs will be part of the emergency response.

Unlike the schools and the safety risk to kids, employees in jobs are grown ups (in age at any rate) who can decide for themselves the relative risk of making a journey to work in their own area. If they have to take a leave day or work back the time, so be it.

By the way, I never heard so much cr@p in my life that "because of the incompetency of the authorities, people will die". Short of inventing a super weapon to dissipate the storm system, the authorities are doing what they can - preparing, organising resources and warning the public of real danger through every possible channel. Have people become so incapable and dependent that they cant take steps to secure their own safety and property when fairly warned??
    Just heard courts are closed... My job is connected to that so if I'm in I won't be doing anything much anyway so they will hopefully just close my office for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

She was stumbling about a bit again, trying to do too much in the time she is allowed. If she had a script she went off script one or twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Personally I think this is inevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

titan18 wrote: »
    they need their heads examined

Maybe thats why they want health insurance?

Advertisement