Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

A lot of people USED TO work for them,they don't care about their staff.What would happen if a tree fell on somebody travelling there just because bosses are worried that some eejit needs help to use their iPhone.

Was the same in An Irish Bank I used to work for. When the bad snow and ice hit a few years back they made people come in. Annual leave wasn’t even offered because the “limit” was already reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭sjb25

A lot of people USED TO work for them,they don't care about their staff.What would happen if a tree fell on somebody travelling there just because bosses are worried that some eejit needs help to use their iPhone.

Tell me bout it sh1thole place to work but that's another story

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

alibab wrote: »
    But where does it end if they issue a alert for people not to go to work what happens when nurses and doctors etc don’t turn up to staff hospitals etc . They have to get in there cars in the morning and go to work regardless of any weather that is out there . What about the paramedics etc who have to drive in this weather they just can’t not turn up to work . I am a front line worker in a red zone that will have to travel to work at peak time in the morning when this is to hit . The option is not there not to turn up for work .

There's a difference between vital services like that and bloody call centers though, ffs like!

People not turning up in a call center for 1 day isn't going to have a detrimental affect on the country or its population

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

You will have tomorrow.

Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Why don't they just issue a full red warning and be done with it?!

This seems like valuable time is being lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

So if it's a red alert can you stay home and tell your boss to go fuk himself if he insists you travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

I might be a LITTLE worried now

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Heard that the County Hall in Wexford is closed tomorrow yet staff who are out on the ground are to turn up as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

But where does it end if they issue a alert for people not to go to work what happens when nurses and doctors etc don’t turn up to staff hospitals etc . They have to get in there cars in the morning and go to work regardless of any weather that is out there . What about the paramedics etc who have to drive in this weather they just can’t not turn up to work . I am a front line worker in a red zone that will have to travel to work at peak time in the morning when this is to hit . The option is not there not to turn up for work .

Paramedics, doctors, nurses, fire and Gardai - yes

Admin staff, non-emergency patients - no

Once in a lifetime event. Just issue the country wide red warning and keep people safe. 'We might issue one later' so that it makes it almost impossible for people to plan ahead properly for the morning. The mind boggles at the ineptitude.

That would require a decision one way or another and we have a Taoiseach too concerned about his public image and bending to lobbying as a result. You can be sure the discussions ARE taking place.. they just want "someone else" to make the call.

Even if they get it wrong and it's not as bad as expected (fingers crossed) then they claim credit for acting in the interests of public safety.. but that would upset the business folk.

I reckon they'll wait till 9pm and make a statement on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,048 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's a bit silly to issue a red warming for a few hand picked areas considering we live in a Cuntry but a few miles wide and long. It's not the US we live in !
    The storm it bigger than the Cuntry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I hope people have the cop on to take basic precautions.

I'm taking a measured approach, I don't think it's going to be very bad but heeding the warnings. This morning I went out and put everything that could be blown around into my garage e.g. flowerpots, watering cans, patio furniture is already in. We have an old Nokia charged, torches charged, will turn on the oil later to heat up the water tank etc.

I would feel like a right clown if a flower trough went through a window with all the warnings we are getting. I can't believe I'm hearing of some people leaving out patio sets and trampolines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My brother’s girlfriend is a nurse in Kerry general and said something about the army being on standby!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Lia_lia wrote: »
    My brother’s girlfriend is a nurse in Kerry general and said something about the army being on standby!

Leo just tweeted it

https://twitter.com/campaignforleo/status/919567204865241092

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

They're filling sand bags in case of local flooding.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The defence forces are on standby in all red areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

May be a silly question, but if Dublin does get 120km winds. Can you even walk in that or would you be blown easy in that speed of wind?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Villain wrote: »
    Joanna hinting other areas could see RED Warning yet

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/919616988921716736

What is the correct time line for track across the country? I work in Galway city and have been asked to come in early, but I will be going home in what I see as the worst time around 2-3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Is this not a hurricane at the moment? Will it be one when it hits the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I hope people have the cop on to take basic precautions.

I'm taking a measured approach, I don't think it's going to be very bad but heeding the warnings. This morning I went out and put everything that could be blown around into my garage e.g. flowerpots, watering cans, patio furniture is already in. We have an old Nokia charged, torches charged, will turn on the oil later to heat up the water tank etc.

I would feel like a right clown if a flower trough went through a window with all the warnings we are getting. I can't believe I'm hearing of some people leaving out patio sets and trampolines.

A lot of people are just lazy and have the "it won't happen to me attitude". I've secured anything that may blow around.Only took a few minutes, better that than the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭madmac187

Guys stupid question, driving from Laois to Dublin in the morning at 5:30am. Think that will be ok ? I highly doubt 4 cranes on the job in Dublin will run or am I overreacting ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Fantastic forecast! well done Joanna! lets hope people spent time today securing property etc .... darkness is upon us now .... now cast situation from here on in

People in orange warning area probably didn't it's not dark and the are expected to secure things and get in supplies. This should have been done earlier.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Personally I think this is inevitable.

That's a scary prospect, great and informative work in here from you all and thought the 6 news was very helpful too. Let's hope people are safe and heed the warnings. Mother nature is amazing and terrifying at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭touts

Villain wrote: »
    Joanna hinting other areas could see RED Warning yet

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/919616988921716736

Someone needs to make a decision. Companies are waiting for the government to declare that people should stay in doors (e.g. a sort of state of emergency) but the Government is leaving it up to personal choice which incredibly ****ing stupid. Caught in the middle are people who feel they have to go to work or risk their jobs.

touts wrote: »
    Someone needs to make a decision. Companies are waiting for the government to declare that people should stay in doors (e.g. a sort of state of emergency) but the Government is leaving it up to personal choice which incredibly ****ing stupid. Caught in the middle are people who feel they have to go to work or risk their jobs.

I've been warned by text twice to turn up for work in Dublin. 2hr drive. Now I have to be in work or be fired. Because it will be fine when I am on my way in and lethal for me to drive home.
    The decision should be taken out of mine and my employers hands so we can all be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

touts wrote: »

What has happened to personal responsibility?

Too many people seem to want others to tell them what to do. Listen to the advice and make your own decisions. At the moment, the worst seems to be avoiding Dublin, hence the lack of a red alert. However, the minute anything changes in the forecast, a red alert will issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

__..__ wrote: »
    I've been warned by text twice to turn up for work in Dublin. 2hr drive. Now I have to be in work or be fired. Because it will be fine when I am.on my way in and lethal for me to drive home.
    The decision should be taken out of mine and my employers hands so we can all be safe.

Ring them at 10 and tell them you've been stuck for a few hours on the road due to a tree blocking the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭touts

People in orange warning area probably didn't it's not dark and the are expected to secure things and get in supplies. This should have been done earlier.

I in an Orange area and I spent the day securing my garden putting away the bins etc and clearing the gutters. My neighbours across the road still has all their kids toys out and a trampoline up. Saw the wife once at about 4pm in her pajamas coming out to throw something into her wheelie bin which is now still sitting at the front of her house.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

blanch152 wrote: »

Too many people seem to want others to tell them what to do. Listen to the advice and make your own decisions. At the moment, the worst seems to be avoiding Dublin, hence the lack of a red alert. However, the minute anything changes in the forecast, a red alert will issue.

The model just posted in the technical thread of met.ies latest tweet probably will change it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Agreed, there needs to be a national level decision taken and taken now.

it's completely unfair to have a position where employees are quite literally fearing for their safety and being threatened by text message to turn up for work. To my mind, that's spectacularly stupid behaviour by any employer and deserves a harsh penalty. But it won't happen because Ireland.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »

Problem is you can't stay off work if your employer says you can't. And it may only change to red when you are already at work making it dangerous on the way home.

Advertisement