Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

blanch152 wrote: »
    Force majeure leave, unpaid absence, annual leave.

Yes, these will cost you in one way or another, but there are options for most people. It seems to me that people want to have the government/company/employer tell them it is ok to stay at home because they think this means they won't have to take leave and/or will get paid.

The first question you and everyone else has to ask yourself is whether your job is vitally necessary for the health and/or safety of others? If it is, you have a responsibility to take a risk and go to work e.g. a paramedic. If it is not, the second question you need to ask is whether losing a day's pay or a day's leave is worth it? If you don't believe your own safety is worth a day's pay, then you know the answer.

You really don't get the situation at all I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

What has happened to personal responsibility?

Too many people seem to want others to tell them what to do. Listen to the advice and make your own decisions. At the moment, the worst seems to be avoiding Dublin, hence the lack of a red alert. However, the minute anything changes in the forecast, a red alert will issue.

Let's say lots of teachers or childcare workers commuting to Dublin (very common) make a decision not to travel - taking personal responsibility. Children all turn up and you have a handful of staff responsible for hundreds of kids? That's the problem with severe warnings about non essential travel but no definitive order.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Be hilarious if those non essential non civil call centres "operating" tomorrow had no power or comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

My neighbours are looking at me like I wear a tin foil hat...they have bins and lightweight garden furniture out. If the message is "this is serious"...it isn't getting out there. :(
    Take pics if you can encase some of it damages your property

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Delta2113

If ever there was a time to use RTE News Now properly, now is that time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Same here in Dublin.It was quite windy all day.The calm before the storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Zico ! wrote: »
    Most work in years for the lads-might need a holiday after it

In fairness to them they wont be at home expecting their employer to tell them to stay away.

Like the rest of the emergency services they'll be in work tomorrow, including those council workers who many on here treat with plenty of disdain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

listermint wrote: »
    Same here in Wicklow. It's actually incredibly errie very much so

I saw a massive flock of birds flying earlier and they were flying inland as hard ever as they could. They definitely know what is coming intelligent creatures. Saw two deer retreating up into the woods also and there is an eerie quiete before the impending disaster here in Kerry at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Turtwig wrote:
    Be hilarious if those non essential non civil call centres "operating" tomorrow had no power or comms.

As I work in one, it won't be. Being told to go home in the midst of it tomorrow is worst case scenario imo. Management need to get their fingers out and make a decision tonight, otherwise people will be coming to work tomorrow and no way to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Force majeure leave, unpaid absence, annual leave.

Yes, these will cost you in one way or another, but there are options for most people. It seems to me that people want to have the government/company/employer tell them it is ok to stay at home because they think this means they won't have to take leave and/or will get paid.

The first question you and everyone else has to ask yourself is whether your job is vitally necessary for the health and/or safety of others? If it is, you have a responsibility to take a risk and go to work e.g. a paramedic. If it is not, the second question you need to ask is whether losing a day's pay or a day's leave is worth it? If you don't believe your own safety is worth a day's pay, then you know the answer.

People are looking for guidance from their employer to say you won't face disaplinary action if you don't show up tomorrow. Nobody is looking for an extra days paid leave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

aidanodr wrote: »
    Flying Fox wrote: »
    Can't believe there's still no advice from the government. Very few people are taking this seriously and we seem to be completely unprepared, needlessly putting people in danger.

http://www.housing.gov.ie/local-government/fire-and-emergency-management/statement-national-emergency-coordination-group

Statement from the National Emergency Coordination Group on Severe Weather
    - All unnecessary travel should be avoided on Monday, while the storm is passing..

- Don’t travel in Red level warning areas during the height of the storm unless absolutely necessary, and take due care if travelling in all other areas. Listen to local radio and national media broadcasts regarding the current weather situation.

So there ye have it. Doesnt get any clearer than this. Pretty much stating country, especially red areas, should just close down / not open tomorrow

No it doesn't.. I'd consider that advice clear as mud to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dropzone

Delta2113 wrote: »

But where would we watch repeats of the week in politics?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Delta2113 wrote: »

They'll probably show repeats of Harvey Weinstein and his fat mug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭barry181091

sdanseo wrote: »
    It is still a hurricane.

Is this stronger than Debbie was in 61?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Discodog wrote: »
    So which site, apart from here :), will have the position updated during the day. We have the 15 min updates from ME for rainfall but not pressure etc. Is it best to find a local weather station that's linked to the web ?

I find windy.com to be very visual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Countryfile are doing a one hour special on storms - it being the 30th Anniversary of the Great Storm of 1987

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

i bungee tied a wendy house to a plum tree today. i also left the swings out. i moved everything else i could fit into the sheds. all bikes and scooters are on top of each other in a spot that's shielded from the wind.

the wendy house is the only thing playing on my mind. but i pulled it with some force and i could not move it. so i think its safe. the swings are more wind resistant i would like to think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Its been downgraded to level 1 and continues to die in intensity. Itl be grand .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT) has announced that due to the particular risks associated with the Status Red weather alert and the potential risks to staff and students WIT will be closed on Monday, 16 October 2017. All campus buildings will be closed, and will re-open on Tuesday, 17 October 2017. #Ophelia

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Back to weather, employment forum elsewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I find windy.com to be very visual

But how often do they update ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Same here in Wicklow. It's actually incredibly errie very much so

Calm before the storm ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Autochange wrote: »
    Its been downgraded to level 1 and continues to die in intensity. Itl be grand .

I’d advise you to have a read of the technical discusssions thread right next to this one so you can get some understanding of what is happening before mak8ng sweeping statements like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

touts wrote: »
    I in an Orange area and I spent the day securing my garden putting away the bins etc and clearing the gutters. My neighbours across the road still has all their kids toys out and a trampoline up. Saw the wife once at about 4pm in her pajamas coming out to throw something into her wheelie bin which is now still sitting at the front of her house.

Same here, I'm amazed at people. Missiles everywhere.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Just got a text from our school saying they are closed tomorrow due to likelihood of upgrade to red warning.

Dublin 15 based.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sheepers

Don't know if that's true or not? But that's what a lot of people are worried about, they'll skip work and if the storm isn't bad it will look bad on them. If the employers made the decision, at least we'd be covered in that eventuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

adox wrote: »

I’d advise you to have a read of the technical discusssions thread right next to this one so you can get some understanding of what is happening before mak8ng sweeping statements like that.

Can you quickly detail what may or may not be wrong with what he said?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Was just out bringing in the bins and some garden bits and pieces and I genuinely think the neighbor taught I was mad..his exact words were “ sure if it was going to be that bad it would all over the news and the local stations “ :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Monkeynut wrote: »
    i bungee tied a wendy house to a plum tree today. i also left the swings out. i moved everything else i could fit into the sheds. all bikes and scooters are on top of each other in a spot that's shielded from the wind.

the wendy house is the only thing playing on my mind. but i pulled it with some force and i could not move it. so i think its safe. the swings are more wind resistant i would like to think.

Let's hope the plum tree doesn't fly! :D

Advertisement