Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭sjb25

Sky news live from cork now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Autochange wrote: »
    Its been downgraded to level 1 and continues to die in intensity. Itl be grand .

Really :confused:

Meanwhile Met Eireann are considering issuing a RED Warning for all areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

touts wrote: »
    People in orange warning area probably didn't it's not dark and the are expected to secure things and get in supplies. This should have been done earlier.

I in an Orange area and I spent the day securing my garden putting away the bins etc and clearing the gutters. My neighbours across the road still has all their kids toys out and a trampoline up. Saw the wife once at about 4pm in her pajamas coming out to throw something into her wheelie bin which is now still sitting at the front of her house.

Mod Note
    : Not Funny.Uncivil. Refrain from making remarks of such nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

This is gonna catch a lot of people unawares, I'm due at routine appointment tomorrow which I am just about to postpone as there is no point going out tomorrow if you don't need too, really needs to be emphasised for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭scooby77

In a quandary here. Need to make a decision about closing a school in South Done gal and inform parents as soon as possible. Sent preliminary text on Friday...was about to update now that we will open, as in Amber area at moment. However from what I read here and from what Joanna said on forecast it seems nationwide Red is possible (we will close if Red).
    Any consensus here on warning upgrade? Can probably wait a little while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

No word about Waterford IT being open or closed...

Just announced closure in the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Boss just phoned to tell us to stay at home tomorrow.....feet are up and can of cider has been opened 😎😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭monty_python

Very dark skies in South west cork

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭wonga77

scooby77 wrote: »
    In a quandary here. Need to make a decision about closing a school in South Done gal and inform parents as soon as possible. Sent preliminary text on Friday...was about to update now that we will open, as in Amber area at moment. However from what I read here and from what Joanna said on forecast it seems nationwide Red is possible (we will close if Red).

Better to be safe than sorry. Cant you make up the day some other time, its not like you have to do this very often

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

crustybla wrote: »
    Same here, I'm amazed at people. Missiles everywhere.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Monkeynut wrote: »

That is f:cking hilarious lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Next door have an empty wheelie bin out the front

Bin day was Friday....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Forecast on BBC Country file giving a detailed forecast,very UK centric but showed what's on the way for us.
    Slightly OT but another big storm on the way for the end of the coming week, probably another thread for this so we'll wait until nearer the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

A lot of businesses where I live seem to be telling people to stay at home except, typically, my wifes place of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Very dark skies in South west cork

It is nearly night time!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Still looks a hurricane wow!

It's terrifying to see a fully formed hurricane so close to our shores. Stay safe, and thanks all for this fantastic thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

lawred2 wrote: »
    Can you quickly detail what may or may not be wrong with what he said?

Havea Read of the other thread.

It was always going to weaken as it got nearer to us, entered colder water. It won’t make landfall as a hurricane but a tropical storm. It will still have hurricane level gusts in certain areas.

It’s all going as has been predicted more or less for the last 48 hours.

I’m no expert but have being trying to keep myself informed over the last few days reading the other thread, where there are much more knowledgeable people posting and links to information from various official sources.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

We're exactly the same here. We're orange level. But it's too late at lunch time tomorrow if they say don't take unnecessary journeys!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There are flags and bunting all over the village where I live due to a big football game that took place last week. I can't wait to see how much if it survives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

lawred2 wrote: »
    Can you quickly detail what may or may not be wrong with what he said?

The whole "it'll be grand. just an aul bit of breeze" attitude

Spreads misinformation like wildfire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,158 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

ellieh1 wrote: »
    Boss just phoned to tell us to stay at home tomorrow.....feet are up and can of cider has been opened 😎😎

Was just about to write the same thing! Thank fook for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Wait for the 9 o'clock news. I honestly expect Leo will be on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd say they wouldn't have mentioned it on the news if it wasn't a very serious possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭scooby77

wonga77 wrote: »
    Better to be safe than sorry. Cant you make up the day some other time, its not like you have to do this very often
    Can really only close if Red...not worried about the day. If Red will close...it's more chances of upgrade in next couple of hours I'm wondering about. What time are next model runs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

adox wrote: »
    Havea Read of the other thread.

It was always going to weaken as it got nearer to us, entered colder water. It won’t make landfall as a hurricane but a tropical storm. It will still have hurricane level gusts in certain areas.

It’s all going as has been predicted more or less for the last 48 hours.

I’m no expert but have being trying to keep myself informed over the last few days reading the other thread, where there are much more knowledgeable people posting and links to information from various official sources.

Fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Sms from boss, Staff who do not wish to attend work can stay home and take a days annual leave.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Can really only close if Red...not worried about the day. If Red will close...it's more chances of upgrade in next couple of hours I'm wondering about. What time are next model runs?

They'll announce it before or on the 9 news.

Send a text saying school closed if red

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Satellite makes for some spectacular viewing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

A nationwide red is likely and therefore no-one should be out. It's your choice obviously but this isn't to be taken lightly anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭touts

If you are in a Quandary and the issue is the safety of children then always always always err on the side of caution. Close it and let parents know now so they can make arrangements. Lots of schools are doing the same.

Advertisement