Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Fantastic, nail biting thread. Still not expecting anything to happen really. All this talk of it swinging off to France or Devon or wherever! Kids school closed and husband advised not to travel to work. Any idea when it'll hit north cork and what it'll be like?!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sms from boss, Staff who do not wish to attend work can stay home and take a days annual leave.

Thinly veiled come in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,158 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

and take a days annual leave.

Ah for fck sake thats lousy..if that was me i'd have to take it unpaid as i have none left!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭greenheep

About 6000 people due at the Dublin Convention Centre for citizenship ceremony tomorrow. This is not something people will miss unless they are told its postponed, nothing about it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

scooby77 wrote: »
    Can really only close if Red...not worried about the day. If Red will close...it's more chances of upgrade in next couple of hours I'm wondering about. What time are next model runs?

Can't individual school boards make a decision to close? ME warnings only serve as advisories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mormegil

Was going to wait and see what it was like tomorrow morning before deciding to go into work or not but just had a text saying not to come in so that's sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

PLL wrote: »
    A nationwide red is likely and therefore no-one should be out. It's your choice obviously but this isn't to be taken lightly anymore.

Is that really likely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Seámus-Púbach

How has an address from the Government not been made to date? So many people are not clued in to the potentially real life threat soon to be present in the country and those in power are being very nonchalant. As unprecedented an event as it is, a 2 min special broadcast before the 6.1 would surely have at least provided some extra weight to Met Eireanns precautionary advice.
    If they do call something similar to a national emergency surely its better to have it done it done early.
    At the end of the day if things die down and damage is relatively low its surely better to be safe than sorry.

If it saves one life its surely worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭mossie

greenheep wrote: »
    About 6000 people due at the Dublin Convention Centre for citizenship ceremony tomorrow. This is not something people will miss unless they are told its postponed, nothing about it so far

I saw somewhere that people were advised not to travel for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

titan18 wrote: »
    As I work in one, it won't be. Being told to go home in the midst of it tomorrow is worst case scenario imo. Management need to get their fingers out and make a decision tonight, otherwise people will be coming to work tomorrow and no way to get home.

Yeah my apologies. I didn't really think my comment through. Was only thinking of egg on face for management for that stupid decision. Was not considering the implications it would have on all their staff.

Again, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭scooby77

Can't individual school boards make a decision to close? ME warnings only serve as advisories

Yes, but would be extremely difficult to justify for an Amber warning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

2162 online.
    Nice one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How has an address from the Government not been made to date? So many people are not clued in to the potentially real life threat soon to be present in the country and those in power are being very nonchalant. As unprecedented an event as it is, a 2 min special broadcast before the 6.1 would surely have at least provided some extra weight to Met Eireanns precautionary advice.
    If they do call something similar to a national emergency surely its better to have it done it done early.
    At the end of the day if things die down and damage is relatively low its surely to be safe than sorry.

If it saves one life its surely worth it

I think the lightbulb moment only happened the past few hours and I reckon there is now chaos about issuing a national red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

scooby77 wrote: »
    Can really only close if Red...not worried about the day. If Red will close...it's more chances of upgrade in next couple of hours I'm wondering about. What time are next model runs?

The latest DES announcement said schools in orange areas should monitor updates but if in doubt err on the side of caution.

It's not "just" an orange warning - they are emphasising it is the very upper end of orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I'm in Cork and everything seems to be shutting tomorrow. All schools, CIT, UCC, College of Commerce, School of Music are closed. All non essential work places seem to be going that way too.

Mormegil wrote: »
    Was going to wait and see what it was like tomorrow morning before deciding to go into work or not but just had a text saying not to come in so that's sorted.

Out of curiosity, what area are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Mr.S wrote: »
    Thankfully it doesn't work like that - if you can't make it safely to work (or it looks unlikely that it will be worse in the afternoon when you would be going home) then stay at home and don't use any annual leave.

Great boss!

Things work differently down here in Kerry ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

From speaking with our principal earlier , I understand that the department have said schools in red areas only to close

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

When is this expected to hit Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

NUI Galway closed tomorrow and conferrings rescheduled to Saturday

430690.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭greenheep

mossie wrote: »
    I saw somewhere that people were advised not to travel for this.

Nothing on the official website about this and no comms sent directly either as far as I'm aware. People wait years for this day and get told not to miss it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Soulsun wrote: »
    When is this expected to hit Dublin

Lunchtime tomorrow or soon after

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

lawred2 wrote: »
    Is that really likely?

We'll know by the 9pm news as it's the last time tonight for them to get the message out via traditional media before it hits.

If they do, I'd expect Leo or a senior minister to be on advising people and companies to make the decisions in the best interest of people's safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭mossie

I'm in Cork and everything seems to be shutting tomorrow. All schools, CIT, UCC, College of Commerce, School of Music are closed. All non essential work places seem to be going that way too.

Me too but have heard nothing from my employer (An Post). Would have thought Banks, POs etc would be telling staff and customers to stay home for safety reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Turtwig wrote:
    Yeah my apologies. I didn't really think my comment through. Was only thinking of egg on face for management for that stupid decision. Was not considering the implications it would have on all their staff.

I know what you meant so don't worry. Still not heard for management so if we are in, I'll go **** it and let them know how stupid it is. I'll have no issue getting in or out as long if the storm hits during work hours but theres a lot in my workplace who are rural locations and I really doubt will be able to get home tomorrow evening. With the location a lot of the staff live, it's completely negligent to open tomorrow.

I'm half wondering whether to take some punishment myself, and make a decision to tell the 50/60 I'm in charge of holidays for, to stay at home, and if the company is bringing people in, ye've all got annual leave tomorrow if ye need it and can say I approved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Mr.S wrote: »
    Thankfully it doesn't work like that - if you can't make it safely to work (or it looks unlikely that it will be worse in the afternoon when you would be going home) then stay at home and don't use any annual leave.

Great boss!

Things work differently down here in Kerry ;):D

My Dad down in Kerry is keeping his place open... Ridiculous.

He seems to think that they can travel in before the storm and travel home after the storm - and work away during it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I don't think she meant they would extend it nationwide only that everyone should pay attention to forecasts as in this situation things can be very uncertain.

She said clearly all counties maybe changed to red

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Pangea wrote: »
    She said clearly all counties maybe changed to red

Yes, that is what was said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The wife works in the hospital here in Waterford, I am a bit worried about her going to work tomorrow. The getting there seems like it will be ok but I don't like the idea of her coming home in the late evening. How does she stand if she just does not go in? Is a red alert warning a valid excuse to not go in or will she be in trouble? Missing a days pay wouldn't be ideal but I would rather that then take unnecessary risks for her. She intends to go though as she hasn't heard anything from her employer saying its an option to stay home.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Advertisement