Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭mossie

greenheep wrote: »
    Nothing on the official website about this and no comms sent directly either as far as I'm aware. People wait years for this day and get told not to miss it.

Can't remember where I saw it but was quite early today. Would have thought it would be on the official site. Actually it's mentioned here

How has an address from the Government not been made to date? So many people are not clued in to the potentially real life threat soon to be present in the country and those in power are being very nonchalant. As unprecedented an event as it is, a 2 min special broadcast before the 6.1 would surely have at least provided some extra weight to Met Eireanns precautionary advice.
    If they do call something similar to a national emergency surely its better to have it done it done early.
    At the end of the day if things die down and damage is relatively low its surely better to be safe than sorry.

If it saves one life its surely worth it

It’s been on the News on TV, Radio and online for the past week. If people haven’t gotten the message by now, a broadcast by the Government will be of little use. How many times have people to be told and by how many media outlets before they take notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

What are the chance of Wicklow / Dublin being added to the Red Alert?

Joanna on the Six One said there is a possibility of all of Ireland under a red alert later tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

From speaking with our principal earlier , I understand that the department have said schools in red areas only to close

Our school is in an orange area but some staff live and commute from status red counties. Tricky one to call. Don't fancy driving home (with my child) tomorrow afternoon if things get as bad as predicted. If school opens, I'll head in and leave her at home I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The wife works in the hospital here in Waterford, I am a bit worried about her going to work tomorrow. The getting there seems like it will be ok but I don't like the idea of her coming home in the late evening. How does she stand if she just does not go in? Is a red alert warning a valid excuse to not go in or will she be in trouble? Missing a days pay wouldn't be ideal but I would rather that then take unnecessary risks for her. She intends to go though as she hasn't heard anything from her employer saying its an option to stay home.

Isn't the worst of it supposed to be passed by evening? Obvs there could be downed trees blocking routes home which is a pain but the weather itself will have calmed down.... no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

scooby77 wrote: »
    Yes, but would be extremely difficult to justify for an Amber warning.

It's been hinted at that other counties will be upgraded to Red either tonight or tomorrow morning though?

I'd err on the side of caution personally, but then again I don't need to make any calls that will affect hundreds of others :pac:

What happens if Donegal goes to Red just as kids are arriving in school tomorrow? Might be a tougher scenario to deal with than closing while still amber.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The wife works in the hospital here in Waterford, I am a bit worried about her going to work tomorrow. The getting there seems like it will be ok but I don't like the idea of her coming home in the late evening. How does she stand if she just does not go in? Is a red alert warning a valid excuse to not go in or will she be in trouble? Missing a days pay wouldn't be ideal but I would rather that then take unnecessary risks for her. She intends to go though as she hasn't heard anything from her employer saying its an option to stay home.
    Dont know if that crane is still up onsite

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sheepers

I'm in Cork and everything seems to be shutting tomorrow. All schools, CIT, UCC, College of Commerce, School of Music are closed. All non essential work places seem to be going that way too.

Have you seen a statement somewhere saying that re: workplaces?

I'm working for a MNC in Cork but haven't heard a thing from them. They don't open on weekends so perhaps there is nobody even there to contact staff right now. Their social media feeds are all US based and no mention about anything Ireland related.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

fcking hell people here sound like 3rd grade kids when they expect snow and someone to tell them theres no school.

are some of yas sheep that you need guidance that someone would tell you if its ok to go to work school and you cant make your own mind by watching outside when storms comes to asses risk vs taking day off, sounds pathetic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'm in a quandary myself. Living in status orange but commuting to a status red area for work (50+min commute too). Haven't got any notification of not coming in. I'd have no trouble calling in sick but for the fact I only started about 4 weeks ago...

See what the 9pm news brings word of I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

Im in an Orange area, South Kildare, and schools are starting to push out closure notices.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭greenheep

mossie wrote: »
    Can't remember where I saw it but was quite early today. Would have thought it would be on the official site. Actually it's mentioned

Thanks for that. Actually doesn't say it's cancelled just telling people from affected counties not to travel for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Still can't believe it didn't miss us !

It's absolutely eerie out too
    Dead clam except for a few creepy crows !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Is there any possibility of this being blown out of proportion ? (No pun intended) As per everything else that happens in Ireland which isnt the norm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

It’s super frustrating for schools, if it’s going to red it needs to happen so that parents are aware and notified in time. Not much point going at 8am tomorrow when they’re all on the way

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Autochange wrote:
    Is there any possibility of this being blown out of proportion ? (No pun intended) As per everything else that happens in Ireland which isnt the norm

This is my concern as well but from everything I'm reading currently it seems no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I'm in the Kildare area and work as a teacher. We have a large number of children who come from non English speaking homes who cycle to school. I'd be very worried for them cycling home tomorrow if their parents are completely unaware about what is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

My boss called. He doesn't want the staff to risk it so we are off tomorrow

And that's the way it should be!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dropzone

It's been hinted at that other counties will be upgraded to Red either tonight or tomorrow morning though?

I'd err on the side of caution personally, but then again I don't need to make any calls that will affect hundreds of others :pac:

What happens if Donegal goes to Red just as kids are arriving in school tomorrow? Might be a tougher scenario to deal with than closing while still amber.

According to official Department of Education guidance where the Status Red weather warning related to wind is issued when the school is already underway with students and staff present, the school management should immediately contact An Garda Síochána, the school transport services and other appropriate agencies for advice on whether it may be safe to undertake journeys from the school or when such journeys should commence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Autochange wrote: »

Wait and see , but better safe than sorry IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

scamalert wrote: »
    fcking hell people here sound like 3rd grade kids when they expect snow and someone to tell them theres no school.

are some of yas sheep that you need guidance that someone would tell you if its ok to go to work school and you cant make your own mind by watching outside when storms comes to asses risk vs taking day off, sounds pathetic.

You spend 8 or more hours at work and it will be perfectly fine in the morning but could be a completely different situation trying to get home

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Necrominus wrote: »
    This is my concern as well but from everything I'm reading currently it seems no?

I lived in Australia for a few years and witnessed many different storms of various types and intensity. People just got on with it without a panic.

I have my doubts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

If there is a good chance of Dublin being red later, you'd think they'd make the call now so that schools, etc. can make decisions. Calling it later will cause no end of confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

mossie wrote: »
    Me too but have heard nothing from my employer (An Post). Would have thought Banks, POs etc would be telling staff and customers to stay home for safety reasons.

Maybe banks and Post Offices feel under an obligation to stay open for people who need them tomorrow?

Rightly or wrongly, it's definitely 'easier' to make the call to close schools and colleges in comparison to most other work places.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

remember don't feed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I'm in the Kildare area and work as a teacher. We have a large number of children who come from non English speaking homes who cycle to school. I'd be very worried for them cycling home tomorrow if their parents are completely unaware about what is coming.

Same. And several coming from direct provision and homeless hubs where they never seem to receive any important notices or information. If red alert issued late I think many will still show up so principal will probably want a few local staff to come anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Significant northward movement now evident on the sat24 images... https://en.sat24.com/en

scamalert wrote: »

The storm is coming after people will have trekked into work tomorrow morning, the issue is how are they supposed to get home if roads are closed due to fallen trees, buses and trains cancelled, etc. The responsible thing for the Govt to do is to issue a directive. You can argue all you like that adults should make their own decisions, but people have a real fear of getting into trouble at work if they don't come in. Ultimately people are concerned about their livelihoods, and are being put in a position where they have to weigh this up against their safety. Nothing childish about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

I lived in Australia for a few years and witnessed many different storms of various types and intensity. People just got on with it without a panic.

I have my doubts

Fair play. Just go about your day as normal then tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I have my doubts

You need to get on the airwaves and start spreading the word. All those schools closing for no reason at all.

Advertisement