Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

scooby77 wrote: »
    In a quandary here. Need to make a decision about closing a school in South Done gal and inform parents as soon as possible. Sent preliminary text on Friday...was about to update now that we will open, as in Amber area at moment. However from what I read here and from what Joanna said on forecast it seems nationwide Red is possible (we will close if Red).
    Any consensus here on warning upgrade? Can probably wait a little while.

Better safe than sorry. Just close it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭munster87

Ah sure it'll all blow over

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Bacchus wrote: »
    You need to get on the airwaves and start spreading the word. All those schools closing for no reason at all.

I think you guys are missing the point what im saying. Which is that it may not be as bad as predicted. That is all.

Hopefully its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Autochange wrote: »
    Is there any possibility of this being blown out of proportion ? (No pun intended) As per everything else that happens in Ireland which isnt the norm

I bet thats exactly what will happen , tho i happy to be proved wrong

I just don’t think it will be as bad as mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm in the Kildare area and work as a teacher. We have a large number of children who come from non English speaking homes who cycle to school. I'd be very worried for them cycling home tomorrow if their parents are completely unaware about what is coming.

http://www.housing.gov.ie/local-government/fire-and-emergency-management/statement-national-emergency-coordination-group

Text and tell them not to.
    The link says no bike day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

On one of those home decor pages- so.eone uploaded all their hard work today decorating their garden for Halloween-- do they not the concept even an orange alert means high winds and it will be blown away tomorrow- probably into neighbouring gardens or worse into the road creating a driving hazard FFS 😠😠😠

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

mel.b wrote: »
    Significant northward movement now evident on the sat24 images... https://en.sat24.com/en

Is it accelerating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I would like to wish the best of luck to the people of Cork, Waterford and especially Wexford.
    It looks like you guys are going to take the first punch here for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Necrominus wrote: »
    Autochange wrote:
    Is there any possibility of this being blown out of proportion ? (No pun intended) As per everything else that happens in Ireland which isnt the norm

This is my concern as well but from everything I'm reading currently it seems no?
    This is not being hyped. This is extremely serious and not the usual winter storm / Atlantic storm / tail end of a hurricane type event. This going to be the worst storm Ireland has seen in 50 years, if not longer. Please take heed, secure all loose items in gardens, try to get your car away from trees and try to stock up with a days worth supply of food and a flashlight - there may be power cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It’s been on the News on TV, Radio and online for the past week. If people haven’t gotten the message by now, a broadcast by the Government will be of little use. How many times have people to be told and by how many media outlets before they take notice?

There's a certain percentage of people who don't read newspapers, don't watch or listen to news reports. I've met such people and they often take pride in how they avoid news reports, they seem to think that if it's not directly relevant to them then why pay attention to the news.

I don't know what the answer is. Someone suggested a rolling information bar at the bottom of the tv screen. Possibly this would work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

On one of those home decor pages- so.eone uploaded all their hard work today decorating their garden for Halloween-- do they not the concept even an orange alert means high winds and it will be blown away tomorrow- probably into neighbouring gardens or worse into the road creating a driving hazard FFS 😠😠😠

Haha idiots be idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Den14

On the RTE news they give the impression that it will be mostly bad in the west however it would appear from the charts sustained high winds will be along the south and east coastal areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

lawred2 wrote: »
    Is it accelerating?

I think so yes. I was looking at it this morning and it was a harder to notice the movement over the duration of the clip, whereas now it's very evident. I don't know if it's possible to get the clip to play from this morning right through to now, it looks like it only shows the past 2hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

scooby77 wrote: »
    In a quandary here. Need to make a decision about closing a school in South Done gal and inform parents as soon as possible. Sent preliminary text on Friday...was about to update now that we will open, as in Amber area at moment. However from what I read here and from what Joanna said on forecast it seems nationwide Red is possible (we will close if Red).
    Any consensus here on warning upgrade? Can probably wait a little while.

If I had children school going, whether school were open or shut, I would keep them home, safety first

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Anybody know if a "Sting jet" will happen..?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If anything, they should be telling all schools etc to close. If it's not as bad as feared so be it, but it'd be better to be safe than sorry surely

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Best case scenario is that it is not half as bad as expected.

The country will survive a day of closure for schools and workplaces. It will not survive multiple injuries and possible fatalities for lack of being sensible considering all the warnings.

I have to say I am peppering, but thankfully do not have to venture out tomorrow or Tuesday, thanks be.

I've done my best to clear everything moveable from the garden. But there are neighbours who have done nothing. I have whatsapped them about it (nicely of course), no reply. They are probably in the pub. Ah well hope none of their garden furniture/pots/etc. fly all over the place.

But no matter how hard you plan we never know how bad events like this might be. But a bit of prep is no harm either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

There's a certain percentage of people who don't read newspapers, don't watch or listen to news reports. I've met such people and they often take pride in how they avoid news reports, they seem to think that if it's not directly relevant to them then why pay attention to the news.

I don't know what the answer is. Someone suggested a rolling information bar at the bottom of the tv screen. Possibly this would work.

I worry about this too, say people whose first language is not English & whose default media/news source is in their mother tongue. On a much less serious issue a few years ago, I remember meeting an African man at my local bus stop on a strike day. The TV & newspapers had been touting this particular day well in advance, yet this man had no idea that the busses wouldn't be running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

What makes anyone think it won't be as bad as expected?

It's due to hit in the next 12 hours, forecasting that far ahead is very accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,049 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Den14 wrote: »
    On the RTE news they give the impression that it will be mostly bad in the west however it would appear from the charts sustained high winds will be along the south and east coastal areas.

Dont mind the news too much, its evolving too quickly for them to keep up.

Joanna on the Forecast afterward said there was a liklihood of extension of the Red Warning to perhaps the whole country. Met.ie.and IWO are the best sources to pay attention to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Anybody know if a "Sting jet" will happen..?

Unlikely. The jet stream isn't that strong.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

mossie wrote: »
    Me too but have heard nothing from my employer (An Post). Would have thought Banks, POs etc would be telling staff and customers to stay home for safety reasons.

I just can't imagine being a postie tomorrow. It would be insane to send them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Autochange wrote: »
    I lived in Australia for a few years and witnessed many different storms of various types and intensity. People just got on with it without a panic.

I have my doubts

How many little Irelands would fit into Australia? Bit different when that thing is barrelling towards an island of our size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭mossie

iguana wrote: »
    I just can't imagine being a postie tomorrow. It would be insane to send them out.

Would think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/outrage-as-nuig-moves-graduations-back-five-days-due-to-hurricane-ophelia-809990.html

"Outrage" as NUIG postpones graduation.

I understand some disappointment but some people really are morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

Despite the fact that a lot is currently outside of the red warning zone, this is likely to change by tomorrow morning. ALL schools must remain closed. This is a hurricane. It will be a classified category 1 hurricane when it impacts the country tomorrow. Please remain at home tomorrow if you can at all. This is a potentially deadly weather event.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

mossie wrote: »
    Me too but have heard nothing from my employer (An Post). Would have thought Banks, POs etc would be telling staff and customers to stay home for safety reasons.

Work in Cork too and got a message from the boss saying opening as normal tomorrow. Can't believe it to be honest. Puts staff in a terrible predicament.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

Where do you check the alert status for your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ooompie5

Can't individual school boards make a decision to close? ME warnings only serve as advisories

They can... but they have to make up the day if its not a Red area as Dept Education compulsiory closure instruction applies only to Reds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Unlikely. The jet stream isn't that strong.

Really? They were a particularly damaging part of the 1987 storm and I read on the technical discussion thread that they are a possibility with this one. I hope you're right though.

Advertisement