Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

__..__ wrote: »
    Where do you check the alert status for your area?

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp
    https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2017-10-16

The fact the the amount of Red areas has increased since this am is of concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/this-is-not-the-remnants-of-a-hurricane-this-is-a-hurricane-all-counties-may-have-red-weather-warning-issued-tonight-36228710.html
    'This is not the remnants of a hurricane, this IS a hurricane' - All counties may have red weather warning issued tonight

- Very high winds, flooding and structural damage predicted over next 48 hours
    - Forecaster Evelyn Cusack: Weather event almost unprecedented for this country
    - Aer Lingus cancel over 50 flights
    - UL, NUI Galway and GMIT all to close
    - Schools told to close, and ESB on alert with winds of more than 130km/h expected Monday
    - Army on standby over fears storm damage could paralyse communities
    - Courts in red warning areas will not sit

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

ooompie5 wrote: »
    They can... but they have to make up the day if its not a Red area as Dept Education compulsiory closure instruction applies only to Reds.

Thanks for clarifying.

What happens if amber areas are upgraded to red after school has started tomorrow... can the schools that open claim a day back? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Work in Cork too and got a message from the boss saying opening as normal tomorrow. Can't believe it to be honest. Puts staff in a terrible predicament.

I got the same. Don't have a particularly long commute but will be relying on public transport to get me there, which I don't feel will be reliable.

Really don't want to take the risk but have colleagues with much longer commutes and will be mortified if I were to not go in and others further away made it in.

I'm in two minds as to what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It's skipping Clare, Limerick and Kerry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Could there be any unusual cloud formations, lightning, hail, or other weird events with this storm tmrow? Just wondering as its such an unusual event.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

crustybla wrote: »
    How many little Irelands would fit into Australia? Bit different when that thing is barrelling towards an island of our size.

Who said the storms missed where i was living?

Im regretting writing it at all now. People having a go for no reason. Ophelia isnt my fault guys and im sorry im not panicking as much as the rest of some you.

But if im wrong then so be it. I hope I am

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Your local authority should have a sign up page for text alerts. Met.ie will have them too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Lenny5 wrote: »
    Could there be any unusual cloud formations, lightning, hail, or other weird events with this storm tmrow? Just wondering as its such an unusual event.

Yup, localized flooding is possible.
    showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2017101706_201710141859_1_extendedforecast.xml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Autochange wrote: »

Im regretting writing it at all now. People having a go for no reason. Ophelia isnt my fault guys and im sorry im not panicking as much as the rest of some you.

Who's panicking? There's a difference between panicking and having some respect for the force of nature that is going to hit us tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Anyone in red would be bonkers to go to work. Corporate greed can take the day off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

That would require a decision one way or another and we have a Taoiseach too concerned about his public image and bending to lobbying as a result. You can be sure the discussions ARE taking place.. they just want "someone else" to make the call.

Even if they get it wrong and it's not as bad as expected (fingers crossed) then they claim credit for acting in the interests of public safety.. but that would upset the business folk.

I reckon they'll wait till 9pm and make a statement on the news.

So you want politicans doing weather forecasting events ???

Sweet Jeebus..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The wife works in the hospital here in Waterford, I am a bit worried about her going to work tomorrow. The getting there seems like it will be ok but I don't like the idea of her coming home in the late evening. How does she stand if she just does not go in? Is a red alert warning a valid excuse to not go in or will she be in trouble? Missing a days pay wouldn't be ideal but I would rather that then take unnecessary risks for her. She intends to go though as she hasn't heard anything from her employer saying its an option to stay home.

A red warning is purely a weather related warning based on predicted wind speeds. When a county or area is predicted to exceed a certain wind speed it’s automatically categorized as tha appropriate colored warning. Red weather warnings have been issued before in the country.

Any advice related to the colour warnings is from Met Eireann not from the government. There is no protocol for a red warning. Individual authorities may take decisions to close institutions, cancel services etc based on the warning but it doesn’t activate anything.

All schools in red warning areas are closing after official instruction from the minister for education earlier today, although many of those warnings were in place since yesterday.

The point I’m trying to make is these warnings aren’t warnings from government level or anything like that. They have been introduced in themlast few years by Met Eireann to distinguish levels of threatening winds, rain etc and that only.

Obviously a red level warning increases the chances of others deciding to close places but it doesn’t activate anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

All will be revealed in about an hours time @ 9pm/ RTE NEWS.

Weather update, Red zone, Orange zone etc ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭mossie

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I got the same. Don't have a particularly long commute but will be relying on public transport to get me there, which I don't feel will be reliable.

Really don't want to take the risk but have colleagues with much longer commutes and will be mortified if I were to not go in and others further away made it in.

I'm in two minds as to what to do.

I have a 30km drive, half on narrow rural roads, probably get there OK but getting home might be a whole other story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭crashadder

Is there any possibility of this being blown out of proportion ? (No pun intended) As per everything else that happens in Ireland which isnt the norm
    . I totally agree with you are saying. I just didnt know the phrase "blown out of proportion" or i would have said the same thing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Work in Cork too and got a message from the boss saying opening as normal tomorrow. Can't believe it to be honest. Puts staff in a terrible predicament.

This is going to come back and bite a lot of employers and line managers. There are some unbelievably bad decisions being made.

Telling workers it's business as usual and intimating that they must turn up despite the warnings is leaving businesses wide open to legal action should anything happen to workers on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭mossie

crashadder wrote: »
    . I totally agree with you are saying. I just didnt know the phrase "blown out of proportion" or i would have said the same thing myself.

I get the feeling that this is the real thing and even if not quite as bad as expected will still be a major storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

knipex wrote: »
    So you want politicans doing weather forecasting events ???

Sweet Jeebus..

I expect politicians - especially those in Government - to show LEADERSHIP yes, especially when it comes to unusual and potentially very damaging/threatening events like this.

Can't all be twitter posts and cool vids ya know! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Who's panicking? There's a difference between panicking and having some respect for the force of nature that is going to hit us tomorrow.

Yes panicking.Read the posts. Some people think it is an Armageddon end of days event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

I've been warned by text twice to turn up for work in Dublin. 2hr drive. Now I have to be in work or be fired. Because it will be fine when I am on my way in and lethal for me to drive home.
    The decision should be taken out of mine and my employers hands so we can all be safe.

So you want a nanny State.. Literally a Nanny State ??

You will not be fired for not turning up for work in a red warning area.. If you are then your employer is a moron..

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

No need for regrets, you're entitled to your opinion. We're not used to hurricanes in this part of the world is all. Wouldn't mind being in Australia now.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just to be clear on the warnings as well, the red means Met.ie expect either or both of
    Winds in excess of mean speed (10 minute sustained) 80km/h, 50mph, 43kts
    Gusts in excess of 130km/h, 80mph, 69kts at any time.

They won't issue a red warning even if it is likely there will be 129km/h gusts. They are fixed criteria.

On the other hand, if there were 129km/h gusts nationwide tomorrow (and there probably will be) then it is still a very serious weather event.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

not to be that guy but shouldn't we all, yourself included, be hoping you are right? As you are basically saying this won't be as severe as the models are indicating?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Flying Fox wrote: »
    The storm is coming after people will have trekked into work tomorrow morning, the issue is how are they supposed to get home if roads are closed due to fallen trees, buses and trains cancelled, etc. The responsible thing for the Govt to do is to issue a directive. You can argue all you like that adults should make their own decisions, but people have a real fear of getting into trouble at work if they don't come in. Ultimately people are concerned about their livelihoods, and are being put in a position where they have to weigh this up against their safety. Nothing childish about that.

The responsible thing is for people to act sensibly and make up their own mind.

If you are living in, working in, or commuting through a red alert area, during the times they are covered by the red alert, you have enough information to make decisions.

What trouble will people get for not coming into work? If you are there longer than a year, you are covered by the UDA and a dismissal for not working tomorrow won't stand. At worst, it will cost a day's pay, and honestly, if you don't believe your own safety is worth a day's pay, what can anyone do for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭esposito

Where has this gone?? I cannot find it on IOS.
    Anybody know? The app will be very useful tomorrow when i'm on the go

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Status red across the country now https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/919640927920062464

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Yes panicking.Read the posts. Some people think it is an Armageddon end of days event.

I've been reading them, and not seen anything of the sort. Worried people, yes. People looking for advice, yes. Panicking, not so much.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

right, i need to drive across the M50 tomorrow afternoon to get my mother to Chemo.

how bad is it going to be ? i am driving from J5 to Bray south in a very light car that usually gets shaken around at Kilternan on a normal day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

when this thing hits us here on the south west coast, how long will it last for or how long will we feel the intensity of it, , right now feel this awful calm here,

Advertisement