Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Turtwig wrote: »
    not to be that guy but shouldn't we all, yourself included, be hoping you are right? As you are basically saying this won't be as severe as the models are indicating?

I hope i am right. I hope its not as bad a predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Get a message off my manager saying it's a normal working day tomorrow (in Cork).

Absolute bs and criminal imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Your local authority should have a sign up page for text alerts. Met.ie will have them too.

I mentioned this earlier, might be useful:

https://www.mapalerter.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Red warning now issued countrywide!

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Am I right in saying that the wind speed in a cat1 hurricane is not a direct threat to properly constructed homes and buildings, but where structural damage happens it's likely to be caused by things like falling trees or poorly secured debris from gardens etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Looks as if though Dublin will escapee the red!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Push notification from RTÉ. National red warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I am checking my phone for any text from work but nothing yet.

Whatever happens it will be a bad day for me. My ACCA results are out tomorrow and I know I failed. I kind of want to go to work as at home I would be stewing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Status red wind warning extended across country as Hurricane Ophelia approaches. Full news coverage at 9pm

RTE News notification

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I expect politicians - especially those in Government - to show LEADERSHIP yes, especially when it comes to unusual and potentially very damaging/threatening events like this.

Can't all be twitter posts and cool vids ya know! :rolleyes:

Personally I like people who actually know what they are talking about making forecasts.. The definition of a red alert is set. Meteorologists do forecasting not politicians.

Humans are self aware, intelligent beings who should be capable of making their own decisions.

I woudl be willing to bet that the same people who want the government to tell them to stay at home complain about the nanny state.

Self responsibility...

blanch152 wrote: »
    The responsible thing is for people to act sensibly and make up their own mind.

If you are living in, working in, or commuting through a red alert area, during the times they are covered by the red alert, you have enough information to make decisions.

What trouble will people get for not coming into work? If you are there longer than a year, you are covered by the UDA and a dismissal for not working tomorrow won't stand. At worst, it will cost a day's pay, and honestly, if you don't believe your own safety is worth a day's pay, what can anyone do for you?

And if you're not there more than a year? Or if you're in an orange area but reliant on public transport to get home in the middle of a hurricane? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

As a curiosity, when was the last time Dublin had a red warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Den Creed

All bin collections by KWD ( Kerry, West Cork) for Monday cancelled if anyone hadn't got the text, best advised to store them bins way now and not leave them in exposed areas ( based on what I've seen today)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

Living in North Clare on the coast. I'm not panicking but I am worried about tomorrow. My dog has been acting weird today as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Only consolation is that its coming in the daytime.

Night time would be very scary indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'm scared

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

John Mason wrote: »
    right, i need to drive across the M50 tomorrow afternoon to get my mother to Chemo.

how bad is it going to be ? i am driving from J5 to Bray south in a very light car that usually gets shaken around at Kilternan on a normal day

If you have to go(which under your circumstances you surely do) I’d leave earlier in the day before the worst of hits Dublin

As for your journey home, I don’t know what advice to give you.
    Maybe have a read of the t cynical discussion thread to get an idea of what is expected and when in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

From Cork City Council (emailed at 19:09)
    Cork City Council has activated its severe weather plan in light of the status red
    weather alert. Cork City Council’s crisis management team met over the weekend
    with further meetings scheduled for later tonight. Emergency crews are on
    standby. A dedicated free phone line is also being set up and will be available to the public tomorrow morning. Cork City Hall is advising citizens to remain vigilant
    and to keep themselves updated in regard to the evolving weather situation.

The weather warning is a STATUS RED and states as follows:

Hurricane Ophelia is expected to transition to a post tropical storm as it
    approaches our shores on Monday bringing severe winds and stormy conditions.
    Mean wind speeds in excess of 80 km/h and gusts in excess of 130km/h are
    expected, potentially causing structural damage and disruption, with dangerous
    marine conditions due to high seas and potential flooding

The warning is in force from 9 a.m. on Monday 16th October to 3 a.m. on Tuesday
    17th October.

The times of the warnings are subject to change depending on the path of the
    storm.

The following is the advice issued by the Region South (Cork & Kerry)
    Major Emergency Management Steering Group

1 People within the areas to which the STATUS RED weather warning has
    been issued are advised not to travel during the period that the STATUS RED
    warning is in force.

2. All schools in the area of
    the STATUS RED warning are to close.

3. It is highly likely that
    there will be high storm surges in tidal areas and therefore residents and
    businesses in areas subject to tidal flooding, (normally areas affected by high
    astronomical conditions) are advised to take measures to protect their
    property. High tides for Cork city is 4pm tomorrow.

4.People are advised not to travel on pedal cycles and motor cycles, as these
    types of vehicles are not suitable for use in the storm force winds expected.

5 We also advise that high sided vehicles are not to travel on roads in the
    areas of the STATUS RED warning as these vehicle are prone to being turned over
    in the storm force winds predicted.

6. People are advised and encouraged to check their own property today, Sunday
    15th October, and ensure that steps are taken to secure any loose objects on
    their property eg garden furniture, wheelie bins, etc., that could be damaged,
    or if blown, could cause significant damage, during the storm.

We also ask that you look in on your elderly and vulnerable relatives/neighbour
    who may not be in a position to secure their property.

Similarly, businesses are requested to attend to any property that could become
    loose during the course of the storm.

7. It is envisaged that there will be significant damage caused by winds,
    especially in the nature of fallen trees, with the additional issues
    surrounding loss of electricity to a substantial number of homes and
    businesses. The power outages could last in some areas for a period of up
    to three days. In the event of fallen electricity wires, please assume
    that these wires are live and do not approach or touch the wires. Please
    report any fallen wires to the emergency services.

Please monitor local media/social media including Cork City Council Twitter and
    the corkcitynow messaging service for updates on the progress of the storm and
    associated warnings and/or advice issued by the emergency services. Websites to
    monitor include www.corkcity.ie and www.met.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

titan18 wrote: »
    Get a message off my manager saying it's a normal working day tomorrow (in Cork).

Absolute bs and criminal imo

Text back saying you are following the advice of the national emergency coordination centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭Goose81

Anyone else excited? Can't wait to see this , I'd love to chase a hurricane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

We are expected into work tomorrow. Does the boss really expect our customers to leave the house in a hurricane just to get their car serviced. Don't think I'll be turning up for work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    You're not getting the point

Employee feels obliged to go to work despite risk because their company hasn't commented, or has said they should

Employer is waiting for the Government to say they shouldn't do this (risk/liability etc)

Government won't make a decision because 1) it's weak anyway and 2) they might get it wrong

Result: Confusion everywhere!

I for one don't want to live in a country where its up to the government to tell me what is and isn't safe.. I don't want a nanny state. I want some level of self determination..

If you think its too dangerous to go to work then stay at home and argue your case with your employer..

Sweet jebus grow up and grow a pair..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,653 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

awec wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that the wind speed in a cat1 hurricane is not a direct threat to properly constructed homes and buildings, but where structural damage happens it's likely to be caused by things like falling trees or poorly secured debris from gardens etc?

Yeah, no direct threat really, it’s roof tiles , loose debris, and particularly trees that are going to cause the problems.

Goose81 wrote: »
    Anyone else excited? Can't wait to see this , I'd love to chase a hurricane

Exciting on one level yes, but it might also be very dangerous to many people with serious risk to life!

Falling trees, live electric wires, flying slates .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

How is Ulster faring on those prediction models?

Aineoil wrote: »
    Living in North Clare on the coast. I'm not panicking but I am worried about tomorrow. My dog has been acting weird today as well.

animals definitely picking up on it. Large flocks of birds drifting and gliding up high in the sky all afternoon - so eeriely quiet and calm all day - not a breath of wind in Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

knipex wrote: »
    I for one don't want to live in a country where its up to the government to tell me what is and isn't safe.. I don't want a nanny state. I want some level of self determination..

If you think its too dangerous to go to work then stay at home and argue your case with your employer..

Sweet jebus grow up and grow a pair..

I somehow suspect from your comments that you are not in such a position for tomorrow, or else you are well-aware that the consequences won't be too bad for you if you don't show.

Others don't have that luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

knipex wrote: »
    Personally I like people who actually know what they are talking about making forecasts.. The definition of a red alert is set. Meteorologists do forecasting not politicians.

Humans are self aware, intelligent beings who should be capable of making their own decisions.

I woudl be willing to bet that the same people who want the government to tell them to stay at home complain about the nanny state.

Self responsibility...

Politicians get advice from experts - you can be sure FG Leadership have been getting regular briefings from Met Eireann all day

Their job as leaders is to take decisions and actions based on that advice.. that's why we elect them.

Anyway... now that a nationwide Status Red has been declared, I expect Leo or one of the senior ministers to be on the 9pm News advising people and employers to take actions based on the best interests of safety.

After that I expect any decent employer not working in a critical sector to advise staff to stay home/use their own judgement (without fear of "repercussions")

• Advertisement

Feckoffcup wrote: »
    How is Ulster faring on those prediction models?

I presume you want us to say something like "Ulster is on Orange alert" :-)

On a serious level, its going to be just as dangerous as anywhere else on the island.

Advertisement