Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ophelia - General Discussion/Local reports - See MOD NOTE Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Aurelian

I wonder about leaving out the wheelie bin to be collected around 9am...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

John Mason wrote: »
    right, i need to drive across the M50 tomorrow afternoon to get my mother to Chemo.

how bad is it going to be ? i am driving from J5 to Bray south in a very light car that usually gets shaken around at Kilternan on a normal day

If Dublin has now gone Red for wind strength / gusts, I would not want to be on the Toll bridge during a 130km/h gust. I would check with the hospital tomorrow, to see if they have some way of facilitating this in another way.

I hope it works out OK for you and you Mom. Be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

1xnps5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

Started to get pissed at some people on here now.

Wake up and realise that a huge amount of people work for arsehole companies on contracts and on low hour ones like that. They are at the mercy of their employers and taking an unauthorised day off can basically mean the sack or reduced hours or other punishments, not having contracts renewed etc. It's not as simple as calling in and taking annual leave or having the balls to make a decision yourself.

I know this first hand as I worked for many years until quite recently for companies like that... And you'd be surprised they were all household name financial institutions at middling positions (I pity the poor souls at entry level positions) , not McDonalds or the like.

Some people can't just take the day and if there boss tells them to come in or says it's business as normal there's not much they can do. /rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 36,050 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

so DOES THat means all schools are closed, as Department of Education said all school is red zone ordered to close, now they are all in the red ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Aineoil wrote: »
    Living in North Clare on the coast. I'm not panicking but I am worried about tomorrow. My dog has been acting weird today as well.

Same here, bless him.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Text back saying you are following the advice of the national emergency coordination centre

Ya, I'm not sure how that will go down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

sdanseo wrote: »
    As a curiosity, when was the last time Dublin had a red warning?

I think it was late December 2013. There was damage to Pearse station and the roof blew off a school in Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Tropheus wrote: »
    If there is a good chance of Dublin being red later, you'd think they'd make the call now so that schools, etc. can make decisions. Calling it later will cause no end of confusion.

If they called red and it wasn't a real a red, that would diminish a red call in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,050 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

so DOES THat means all schools are closed, as Department of Education said all school is red zone ordered to close, now they are all in the red ?

And all private sector workers told to come in to work can tell their bosses to fck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Samaris wrote: »
    I somehow suspect from your comments that you are not in such a position for tomorrow, or else you are well-aware that the consequences won't be too bad for you if you don't show.

Others don't have that luxury.

I have a 70km commute across 3 counties in the south west. I have been told its a normal day at work tomorrow. I will wake up, check the weather and the forecast and make a decision.

If I think its not worth the risk I will ring my boss tell him so, I may go in and come home early..

There isn't a court in the country that would side with an employer who sacked someone for not traveling tomorrow.. Any employer would know that..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Text back saying you are following the advice of the national emergency coordination centre

Some craic driving trains in the morning god know what’s on the line😢

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭B00056718

They only advised to avoid working on height's. Pasted below is from their Twitter word for word:
    Be extra careful if working outside tomorrow. Avoid working at a height, particularly in 'status red' areas
    Edit: they retweeted it from a HSA. Still shockingly relaxed attitude from HSA

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

I have to go in to work tomorr boss doesn't want to know about it god this is ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

STATUS RED

Wind Warning for Ireland
    Ex-Hurricane Ophelia is forecast to track directly over Ireland during daytime Monday. Violent and destructive gusts are forecast with all areas at risk and in particular the southwest and south in the morning, and eastern counties in the afternoon. Also heavy rain and storm surges along some coasts will result in flooding.
    There is potential risk to lives.

Issued:Sunday 15 October 2017 20:00
    Valid:Monday 16 October 2017 06:00 to Monday 16 October 2017 23:59

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

There is potential risk to lives. Scary stuff to see that on met.ie.

Still showing as Orange for Roscommon, but as this is a fast moving event, I expect that there will be a delay in updating all the relevant alerting systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Aurelian wrote: »
    I wonder about leaving out the wheelie bin to be collected around 9am...

It'll be collected alright... By ophelia waste management

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1015/912467-ophelia/

Met Éireann has redesignated the entire country to a red level wind warning this evening as Hurricane Ophelia approaches.

The Department of Education said earlier that all schools in areas affected by Met Éireann's status red wind alert are to stay closed tomorrow.

A status red wind warning had been in place for Wexford, Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Waterford.

But the wind warning has now been extended across the rest of the country.

The hurricane is currently in transition to ex-tropical status, while maintaining hurricane force winds. Met Éireann said it is likely to hit with category two strength.
    The weather warnings come into effect at nine o'clock tomorrow morning.

The Department of Education said its decision comes "following a special meeting of the Government Task Force on Emergency Planning in response to Ophelia's imminent arrival".

In a statement the Department said that schools in areas affected by a status orange alert should remain vigilant, and keep themselves appraised of any hourly and other updates from Met Éireann, and from their local authorities, and An Garda Síochána.

It said if in any doubt, schools should err on the side of caution and close.

A number of third-level institutions announced that they will close, including the University of Limerick, UCC, Cork Institute of Technology, Waterford Institute of Technology and NUI Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I think it was late December 2013. There was damage to Pearse station and the roof blew off a school in Lucan.

I thought someone said earlier that a code red had not been issued previous to this. Maybe I misheard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Anyone know if colleges/universities are covered under Dept of Education statement on closure of all schools in red alert counties?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

knipex wrote: »
    I for one don't want to live in a country where its up to the government to tell me what is and isn't safe.. I don't want a nanny state. I want some level of self determination..

If you think its too dangerous to go to work then stay at home and argue your case with your employer..

Sweet jebus grow up and grow a pair..

You must have missed situations in other countries where events like this are treated like national emergencies and appropriate advice is issued at local, state or national level to citizens on how best to look after themselves.

Is that a "nanny state" in such a scenario, or a Government looking after it's citizens?

You're just being contrary for the sake of it IMO so I won't be responding to you further.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

LordSutch wrote: »
    Exciting on one level yes, but it might also be very dangerous to many people with serious risk to life!

Falling trees, live electric wires, flying slates .......

And with many employers expecting staff to show up as normal tomorrow, the ensuing chaos on the roads and potential risk to people traveling to and from work is completely unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

Feckoffcup wrote: »
    How is Ulster faring on those prediction models?

Ulster says No Surrender!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Personal responsibility?

Don't show up to work and get fired - responsible for putting your family's financial situation at risk.

No you wont..

And if for some reason your employer is a moron and does fire you then you can take him to the cleaners..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Mr.S wrote: »
    Use common sense, if the forecasts are still bad for the afternoon when you wake up in the morning / trains are already delayed, work from home (if you can) or call in saying you can't make it because of the weather. No need to wait for your boss to tell you what to do.
    Flying Fox wrote: »
    The storm is coming after people will have trekked into work tomorrow morning, the issue is how are they supposed to get home if roads are closed due to fallen trees, buses and trains cancelled, etc. The responsible thing for the Govt to do is to issue a directive. You can argue all you like that adults should make their own decisions, but people have a real fear of getting into trouble at work if they don't come in. Ultimately people are concerned about their livelihoods, and are being put in a position where they have to weigh this up against their safety. Nothing childish about that.

To further strenghten the point, I've just received an email from the office's HR department...a company wide email that, after you cut all the embellishment words, says basically "you better be at work or else...".

As it's being continuously demonstrated in the last few hours, adults can indeed make their own decisions, and you can bet on those decisions to be the wrong ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Zico !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

awec wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that the wind speed in a cat1 hurricane is not a direct threat to properly constructed homes and buildings, but where structural damage happens it's likely to be caused by things like falling trees or poorly secured debris from gardens etc?

This BBC graphic may help, although it's probably a bit over-simplistic.

Advertisement